Where are my promotion requests going?

Started by cap801, December 07, 2010, 09:22:58 PM

cap801

I turned 21 back in June, just after getting my instrument ground instructor certificate, and turned in my "Request for Promotion Action" to Captain to my squadron commander at that time.  Then I went off to Field Training with ROTC for a month and somewhat expected it to have gone through.  Unfortunately, it had not.  When I came home from college for fall break in October, I submitted another one, via email, and here, a month and a half later, still nothing.  I'm fairly confident my commander is forwarding them on to our Wing Commander.  My guess is that they are getting stuck there.  What are my options?

Eclipse

Unless the promotion is officially denied, you don't have any beyond confirming the promotion was submitted properly and received.

The first thing I would recommend would be to confirm your CC is actually sending them anywhere, from there, with permission, you could confirm the person at wing received it, and ask them on the time frame, bearing in mind there is no specific time limit for consideration for senior members.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on December 07, 2010, 09:31:52 PM
Unless the promotion is officially denied, you don't have any beyond confirming the promotion was submitted properly and received.

The first thing I would recommend would be to confirm your CC is actually sending them anywhere, from there, with permission, you could confirm the person at wing received it, and ask them on the time frame, bearing in mind there is no specific time limit for consideration for senior members.

And also bearing in mind that such "mission skills" promotions are still at the discretion of the appropriate level within the Chain of Command and not automagic.

cap801

True, though it'd be nice to get an "ok" or "go to hell" either way.  I haven't seen them be denied for other members of my unit.

Promotion up through Captain is just at the discretion of Wing, right?

IceNine

If your wing has groups that promotion request doesn't even see the Wing commander, so you should follow up with group first.

If no groups in your wing, disregard.

And from the 2 second view of your participation or lack there of that may be the determining factor.  I would be less inclined to promote a member that only visits my unit and doesn't participate actively.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

cap801

No groups in my wing (NM).

2nd issue is a non issue since I know my commander is forwarding the form.

coudano

appropriate supporting documentation attached?
*entirely* possible that the pd/dp at your wing is out to lunch...

HGjunkie

Quote from: coudano on December 07, 2010, 10:19:29 PM
That's a heck of a lunch break though...  ;D
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

IceNine

Quote from: jayburns22 on December 07, 2010, 10:05:58 PM

What changed?  An hour ago you were "fairly sure" now you "know".

Have you talked to your unit commander about this at all?  Did you get receipt of your email?  Why are you submitting your own promotions?

Your commander is the very first link in the chain.  IF s/he approved it s/he can follow up for an approval/denial.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

davidsinn

Transfer to Plymouth and I'll get you fixed up. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

MSG Mac

If a promotion is denied, the denying officer is required to return it with a letter saying why it was denied. I had a friend who's promotion was sent to Wing HQ several times without action. He finally made an IG complaint to Region HQ and got the promotion, because the Wing had never denied it.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

cap801

Quote from: IceNine on December 07, 2010, 10:27:43 PM
Quote from: jayburns22 on December 07, 2010, 10:05:58 PM

What changed?  An hour ago you were "fairly sure" now you "know".

Have you talked to your unit commander about this at all?  Did you get receipt of your email?  Why are you submitting your own promotions?

Your commander is the very first link in the chain.  IF s/he approved it s/he can follow up for an approval/denial.

"Fairly certain" was my subconscious (manifesting itself in my typing) allowing the possibility that squadron commander has email forwarding issues, being a bit of a relic, and "know" was my subconscious being reassured when he emailed me asking about tickets to the Sun Bowl.  I honestly didn't even notice until you pointed that out.

He was the one who suggested I apply for the promotion, so I'm going to say I'm confident it's making it up to Wing.  The first time it went by hard copy, the second went by email, or at least, that's how I submitted them.  I haven't followed it up further because I've been at school.

Quote from: coudano on December 07, 2010, 10:19:29 PM
appropriate supporting documentation attached?

I think our WG/CC was out with cancer for a while; I thought he had returned but I haven't read anything official either way.  I guess if he was still out, and promotion actions required his signature, I'd be SOL.  Is there someone else that usually handles this?

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 08, 2010, 01:36:43 AM
If a promotion is denied, the denying officer is required to return it with a letter saying why it was denied. I had a friend who's promotion was sent to Wing HQ several times without action. He finally made an IG complaint to Region HQ and got the promotion, because the Wing had never denied it.

That's great information to know, thanks a lot.  I'm treading lightly on this because my rank in CAP isn't terribly important to me (possibly a side effect of going in to the actual Air Force), but my commander suggested it, so I'm trying to follow through without ruffling any feathers.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: jayburns22 on December 08, 2010, 01:59:13 AM
I think our WG/CC was out with cancer for a while; I thought he had returned but I haven't read anything official either way.  I guess if he was still out, and promotion actions required his signature, I'd be SOL.  Is there someone else that usually handles this?

NHQ would issue orders naming the VC as acting CC if the CC said that he'd be out of the picture.

Eclipse

If a promotion is denied, the denying officer is required to return it with a letter saying why it was denied. I had a friend who's promotion was sent to Wing HQ several times without action.

Cite, please.  This assertion is made on a regular basis, and I have yet to find any regulatory support for a maximum time for consideration, nor any requirement that a commander indicate the reason why a promotion was denied.  Cadet promotion requests contain this requirement, not seniors.

The only requirement is that upon disapproval the commander sign the 2a as such and return the request form through channels, and unless there is an SOP at the respective echelon or from higher HQ of a promotion process that includes the time for consideration, there
is no basis for a complaint on a promotion still under consideration that has not been denied.

From CAPR 35-5, Page 9:
e. If any commander in the chain of command disapproves a recommendation for promotion or request for waiver, he or she will so indicate over his or her signature on the CAPF 2 and will return the CAPF 2 to the initiator through channels. If the National Awards and Promotion Team denies a request for waiver, it will also be returned to the initiator through channels.  In neither case does such disapproval preclude the individual from being recommended for promotion at some future date.

He finally made an IG complaint to Region HQ and got the promotion, because the Wing had never denied it.
what is more likely is that the IG went "dude", and the commander said "whatever", and they signed it rather than having to the hassle of an investigation.

"That Others May Zoom"

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2010, 04:01:58 AMwhat is more likely is that the IG went "dude", and the commander said "whatever", and they signed it rather than having to the hassle of an investigation.

Haha..True.   So what your saying is the IG complaint worked and that's the way to go to resolve these issues   >:D

coudano

I've pulled this little gem out before, when I sent something away into the ether and it crossed the event horizon...

Quote from: CAPR 10-1
6. Suspense Control. Each region and wing commander will implement procedures to ensure prompt action on all communications. Communications will be answered as expeditiously as feasible, but in no instance later than the time limits set forth below...
d.   Routine correspondence will be answered within 2 weeks.

Meaning I expect "something" within 2 weeks (at each echelon).
So a month, from wing.
6 weeks if it has to go up through and then come back down through group.

That's a *MAXIMUM* naturally one would hope it would go faster under normal conditions...

Eclipse

A promotion request is not "routine correspondence", or at least one could argue that.

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Eclipse on December 08, 2010, 03:34:57 PM
A promotion request is not "routine correspondence", or at least one could argue that.

Given the number of promotions that occur regularly, I could argue the other side.   :)

I, personally, would consider it to be routine, and would ask my Commander to follow up on it. 

Eclipse

On further thought...

What does "answered" mean in this context?  Acknowledged or processed?

Wings have promotion and decoration boards that generally meet once a month.  If you submit a request the day after they meet, it is 4 weeks before it can be processed.

As to promotions being routine, I'm not sure I agree, especially anything that needs wing approval - I've processed a whopping 2 majors in
3+ years, and no special appointments.  At the unit Lt's might be passed out fairly frequently, but beyond that it starts to thin out.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

of the priorities that you can put on a message...
if "routine" is not appropriate for a promotion action,
then what would you call it, instead?

most of the promotion committees i've seen work like this...
mass email to the whole committee
here is a promo rec for xyz
if you have a problem, speak up within 5 days or it's approved
shazam