Does anyone use Flight Simulator X? How about using for radio proficiency?

Started by alpacapilot, August 06, 2009, 01:42:23 AM

alpacapilot

I am a new pilot.  Still with a bit of mic fright.  I've used FSX's multiplayer option to join others on the internet and fly around with a tower contoller guiding the way.  This is great practice for me and helps me tune my mic skills.

It would be really great if us CAP folks could set up a standard time to host a multiplayer session (controller person need) to hone our communication skils.  Anyone interested?

DC

Not really related to your question, but have you seen AOPA's new interactive comms course, Say it Right.

It's pretty informative.

alpacapilot

Yes its great.  Completed it last week.  Now I want to put it to work  ;)

SJFedor

Try VATSIM. Their controllers actually go through training on proper phraseology and procedures, unlike some on the MS FSX multiplayer rooms. Plus there are many controllers controlling different areas, requiring you to actually talk to more than one person depending on what you're doing.

www.vatsim.net

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

N Harmon

Quote from: SJFedor on August 06, 2009, 05:35:01 AM
Try VATSIM. Their controllers actually go through training on proper phraseology and procedures, unlike some on the MS FSX multiplayer rooms. Plus there are many controllers controlling different areas, requiring you to actually talk to more than one person depending on what you're doing.

www.vatsim.net

+2

You may need to spend some time getting the software installed and set up, but it's free and very realistic.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

jeancalvinus

very interested to see if anyone use FS X and whether or not it seems valuable for someone flying a 172/ 182. we have 3 cadets taking lessons (outside CAP), and it has been suggested by the instructor that they get that specific program (with the pedal and yoke controls). money is tight, so I don't want to outlay the cash unless it is a valuable tool.

so please post and let me know how it is if you use FS X

Thom

Quote from: jeancalvinus on August 07, 2009, 07:21:09 PM
very interested to see if anyone use FS X and whether or not it seems valuable for someone flying a 172/ 182. we have 3 cadets taking lessons (outside CAP), and it has been suggested by the instructor that they get that specific program (with the pedal and yoke controls). money is tight, so I don't want to outlay the cash unless it is a valuable tool.

Well, I've played with FSX, but I've used earlier versions a fair bit.  Here's my two cents:

Do NOT let them play with FSX until they have gotten past their Solo, and well on into their Cross Country training.  People who learn on FSX (or any flight sim) keep their heads in the Cockpit WAY TOO MUCH!!  I know, I was one of them!

Once you have learned to look Outside, and ingrained those behaviors, then you can start to use FSX for practice with Navigation.  I still find it useless for learning Radio behavior, but it is VERY useful for practicing VOR, NDB, and GPS Nav skills.  And, a lot cheaper than flight time.

I imagine it would be even more useful for IFR training, but I got sidetracked (10 years and counting...) and haven't gotten back around to that.

A slight counterpoint to my admonishment above about FSX ingraining bad habits:  By comparison, my instructors couldn't believe how well I did under the Hood and recovering from Unusual Attitudes.  FSX will teach you to read the Intruments REAL GOOD.  But, that isn't what you need to do in VFR flying!  (Mostly.)

Hope that helps.

Thom Hamilton

alpacapilot

FSX was very helpful for me once I got to the cross country portion.  VOR and GPS usage was very realistic.  Its a bit difficult for pattern work unless you've got multi monitors.  Also I did not like the rudder pedals to taxi around with as it was too easy to over steer and doesn't have the same feel as the real pedals.  So I recommend foregoing the expense and just hit Ctrl>Shift>U (I believe) which will cause the rudder to follow where ever you point the alerons with the yoke.

alpacapilot

Quote from: SJFedor on August 06, 2009, 05:35:01 AM

www.vatsim.net

Thanks SJFedor!  I checked out vatsim.net today and its a great resource for working with ATC.

Thrashed

I'm only an ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI with 13,000 hours, so you don't have to take my advice.   ;) I've owned many versions of Flight Sim.  I have a friend that is a programer for the MS Flight Sim's.  It's a great program.  To me, it is a game.  I just use it to play around in the Extra 300 or Caravan on floats.  I never got all the panel, yoke, throttle stuff. I used a joystick.  I don't think its worth much as a training device.  Maybe it would be better with all the "extras" that I didn't get.  It is too much money for a "video game".  Spend money on a real simulator that you can log the time in.  Flight schools have some "cheaper" generic flight simulators.  You don't need to pay for visuals and motion. 

Save the triangle thingy

N Harmon

You can get a copy of FS2004 (version before FS X) for about $30. It would have the added bonus of working decently on older hardware too.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

BTCS1 C/CC

FSX is Great!    Setting up a multiplayer would be great as well just for cap memebers. Ill set up one that will be running AUG 19 for cap members at 8:00

password will be captalk

see u there
C/TSgt W

Daniel

C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

MIKE

Mike Johnston

coolkites

Im thinking about trying to get some donated hardware and software for my squadron so we can have a 20 person multiplayer fly