Main Menu

Belly Flop Prevention

Started by RiverAux, July 20, 2009, 10:22:53 PM

RiverAux

From CAP News Online.  I'm assuming that the other plane was a non-CAP aircraft as I thought we didn't have any retractable-gear planes.  Any GA Wing members know? 
Quote(From left) Lt. Col. Jack Caldwell, Georgia Wing Group 6 deputy commander stands by as 1st Lt. Antonio Yaya of the Brunswick Senior Squadron receives a commander's commendation from 1st Lt. Bill Cozine, squadron commander. Yaya was recognized for noticing during a search and rescue exercise that an aircraft was making its final approach to landing with retracted landing gear. Yaya alerted his own aircrew -- Capt. Roger Crane of the Savannah Composite Squadron, pilot, and Maj. Bill Wallace of the Brunswick unit, copilot -- and Crane radioed the incoming plane about the problem. At the last minute, the plane made a normal landing after extending its gear – saving not only the aircraft but also possibly the pilot's and copilot's lives.

Good eyes!  I can't recall ever really looking for that when I've been in the air, but will keep my eyes open now. 

NC Hokie

Quote from: RiverAux on July 20, 2009, 10:22:53 PM
From CAP News Online.  I'm assuming that the other plane was a non-CAP aircraft as I thought we didn't have any retractable-gear planes.  Any GA Wing members know? 

I can't speak for GA Wing but I do know that there is an R182 in NC Wing.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

EMT-83

I was in one during a SAREX. It was from NER, but I can't remember which wing.

Gunner C

Quote from: NC Hokie on July 21, 2009, 01:06:07 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on July 20, 2009, 10:22:53 PM

I can't speak for GA Wing but I do know that there is an R182 in NC Wing.

Yep.  It belongs to the Charlotte Air Force.  They don't let anyone else play with it.

CAPSGT

We've got a C-TR182 in MD.  So although I don't think this article was referring to a CAP Retractable, they are certainly out there (there are at least 9 that I know of).
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron