Flight Training Foundations?

Started by IceNine, November 10, 2007, 11:32:38 PM

IceNine

So, a few years ago I did about 10 hours of instruction towards my Private Pilot's License, But I was working at an FBO and got GREAT rates.

I have been looking around trying to figure out a good way to finish my training without going back to eating ramen ALL the time.

Has anyone used any of the common funding opportunities like Sally May (sp?) and others? Was it ligit?  Were there any draw backs?  Was it hard to get?

Are there any obscure, or less used grants, scholarships, loans that are harder to find?

Thanks all
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

CASH172

Around what area are you in?  That'll help me give you the best for-your-area information. 

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

CASH172

I'm not really from that area so I can't give you my personal knowledge, but from a quick search I found there's an aero club on Scott Air Base, which you as a CAP member are allowed to use.  I have no idea how far you are from there of course, but there you go. 

SJFedor

www.pilotfinance.com

They gave me a loan towards my instrument, but they'll do private through ATP if you want. Your school needs to be "in cohorts" with them, but it doesn't take much if they're not. They disburse money direct to the school every time you fly, that way A) you don't have to dump the money on the school upfront, B) the school only gets paid for what you actually do, and doesn't shave a little off the top, and C) their repayment plans are pretty good. I (19 year old college student working part time) got cleared for $7500 worth of flight training. Had me paying $250 a month towards it, but once I finished, and had only used $1800, I got them to refinance it, and lower the payment rate, so it took me about 14 months to pay it off at $153.97. And, if you make all the payments on time, they refund 3% of the loan interest to you.

Not a bad setup at all. Better then a credit card.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)