CAPWatch Shutdown 2 January 2018

Started by Eclipse, July 06, 2017, 05:34:22 PM

Eclipse

http://www.capnhq.gov/news/Documents/CAP_CC_Memo_CW_Process_Change_30_Jun_17.pdf

"a. The current CAPWATCH delivery method will stand down on 2 January 2018. In its
place, CAP IT will develop a secure subscription service within eServices that provides a
standardized CAPWATCH dataset to Senior Members who are authorized by their
Commander to receive it. Senior members will need to request access to this service, and as
part of that request, will have to document how the data will be used. Data will be provided
based on the Senior Member's assigned organizational level. Those receiving the download
will be required to sign an online user agreement that defines their responsibilities to
protect the data in their care. Members and commanders will be expected to re-validate
need for this data annually. The online system to support the new process will be released
well in advance of the 2 January date to ease the transition from the current on-demand
system to the new secure delivery system."

"c. Also effective on 2 January, members are directed to discontinue using
WMU/IMU, CAPSTAR, and similar locally developed mission systems.
Users and
administrators of these local systems will need to plan for a transition to the functionality
provided within eServices prior to the end of this calendar year. Data and reports stored in
these systems like sign-in logs, incident action plans, aircraft scheduling or emergency
contact data, etc. should be moved into the appropriate applications in eServices before
shutting them down. We suggest that you stop using these systems well before the deadline
so that continued usage does not add to the data that your staff must transition."

I'm sure NHQ has robust, standards-based, API-accessible / web-based solution(s) already
in the channel to allow for smooth transitions.

"That Others May Zoom"

kwe1009

Quote from: Eclipse on July 06, 2017, 05:34:22 PM

I'm sure NHQ has robust, standards-based, API-accessible / web-based solution(s) already
in the channel to allow for smooth transitions.

I can't wait to see that.   ;)

Holding Pattern

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........................................

A.Member

:clap:

About time.  Loooong overdue.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

arajca

You realize the reason we all these outside systems is because National didn't/couldn't meet the needs of the field, right?

etodd

The current CAPWATCH delivery method will stand down on 2 January 2018.

What time zulu on that date, for those who want to use the old systems right up to the last minute?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on July 07, 2017, 01:41:36 AM

The current CAPWATCH delivery method will stand down on 2 January 2018.

What time zulu on that date, for those who want to use the old systems right up to the last minute?

Oh, let's guess 0800 EST, or 1600Z. Close enough for you?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

A.Member

Quote from: arajca on July 07, 2017, 12:39:41 AM
You realize the reason we all these outside systems is because National didn't/couldn't meet the needs of the field, right?
And a lot of people in the field have developed a lot of crappy "mission critical" processes that are really anything but that.  They lost sight (or never had sight in the first place) of the volunteer aspect of the organization and the concept of K.I.S.S. 

In other words, they created a bunch of non value added procssses that were often time sucks.  It will be good to force these to sunset and go to a centralized, standard solution.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

arajca

Quote from: A.Member on July 07, 2017, 04:02:38 AM
And a lot of people in the field have developed a lot of crappy "mission critical" processes that are really anything but that.  They lost sight (or never had sight in the first place) of the volunteer aspect of the organization and the concept of K.I.S.S. 

In other words, they created a bunch of non value added procssses that were often time sucks.  It will be good to force these to sunset and go to a centralized, standard solution.
Provided National can deliver.

waukwiz

Cadet with spinning head, here.
Searching the terms WMU, IMU, CAPSTAR, and CAPWATCH has only made me more confused. I've heard of all these once or twice, prodded at CAPWATCH in eServices a little, but have no clue what any of these are or are used for. Data report miscellany? Primitive local WMIRS/Ops Quals substitutes? I'm pretty lost.
Can I please have a brief rundown of what any of this is?
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

SarDragon

WMU, IMU, and  CAPSTAR are mission tracking applications that have been developed over the years by members to overcome deficiencies in NHQ provided applications. Their adoption by various wings was varied, and erratic, based on the desires of the Wing Commanders.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

WMU - Wing Management Utilities
Essentially eServices before eServices, tracked many different areas and functions, especially ES.
Gen Bowling directed all wings to discontinue use around 2003-04, yet many still use it today.

IMU - Incident Management Utility
Locally-grown derivative / offshoot / whatever of the above for managing missions.

CAPSTAR - Sortie Tracking and Reporting

CAPWATCH - the .csv files which are imported into the above and other systems, such as the Encampment Management System,
SIMS (Squadon Information System) not to mention scores of other homegrown systems members have created over the years.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

Wonder if the API will be Google Apps-compatible for Regions/Wings/Groups/Units that rely on CAPWATCH data to manage users and access in their respective Google Apps domains? 
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

A.Member

Quote from: arajca on July 07, 2017, 05:12:17 AM
Quote from: A.Member on July 07, 2017, 04:02:38 AM

Provided National can deliver.
We'll be just fine.  Some people whined about the updates to eServices and WMIRS.  Guess what? We all survived and it's just fine.

There is a difference between what people want and what they need.  I've found people generally want access to more than they really need in order to create/support processes that are much more complex than needed or, in a number of cases, altogether unnecessary.  Many of those people like to have micro-level control and will no longer have the reins.  Those people will struggle with this change.

FalconHatTrick

I'm assuming this also pretty much makes SIMS dead as well?
Maj, CAP
Former C/Lt Col
ATP/CFI/CFII
LR-JET/DA-50

Eclipse

Quote from: FalconHatTrick on July 11, 2017, 10:54:41 PM

Potentially that and the Encampment Management System which has become critical to some activities.

It all depends on how well / quickly / efficiently the new right schema is rolled out and actually works.

As long as the data is still provided when the need is documented, then there may be no issue other then approving new requests.
The challenge will come in with activities that include people across Regions or Nationally.

"That Others May Zoom"

FalconHatTrick

Quote from: Eclipse on July 11, 2017, 11:01:42 PM
Quote from: FalconHatTrick on July 11, 2017, 10:54:41 PM

Potentially that and the Encampment Management System which has become critical to some activities.

It all depends on how well / quickly / efficiently the new right schema is rolled out and actually works.

As long as the data is still provided when the need is documented, then there may be no issue other then approving new requests.
The challenge will come in with activities that include people across Regions or Nationally.

I guess we will have to see what the roll out is and what data sets will be available through this new subscription service. Has anyone asked the cwinfo email any questions and gotten a response they could share?
Maj, CAP
Former C/Lt Col
ATP/CFI/CFII
LR-JET/DA-50

JoeTomasone

I emailed NHQ at the address provided in the notification concerning CAPDB.US being used by multiple Wings and got back a generic answer from NHQ Deputy Director of IT Joe Hall stating that I would only be able to download from my individual CAPWATCH level.    I replied with a follow-up question asking if there was any way to provide me with that data with the concurrence of the Wing Commanders involved, and 3 weeks later have no response.   

FalconHatTrick

With the lack of information, I'm wondering if that published the shutdown notification, then caught a ton of @!#$ and didn't have a response in order and are still trying to figure out what to do.  I still wonder if you can still download unit level CAPWATCH data and have SIMS still function. But again, lack of info has a lot to be desired.
Maj, CAP
Former C/Lt Col
ATP/CFI/CFII
LR-JET/DA-50

Tim Day

Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander