Need stories about crash survivers

Started by AlaskanCFI, December 30, 2007, 09:28:02 PM

AlaskanCFI

I am trying to put together a class regarding lost individuals or crash survivors who have been rescued after a more than a day or two.  The point being that people often decide NOT to die after one or two days of bad weather.
If you have any local newspaper articles please forward them.  Thanks
dragonfly@alaska.net

Capt Alex Clark
Stand-Eval
Homer, Alaska
Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com

bosshawk

Looks like your request got ignored by most folks on this thread.

About 10 years ago(I don't really remember which year), I was very involved in a search in the Sierra Mts in CA, where a Maule crashed on the slopes of Mt. Whitney(the tallest mt in the contiguous 48) and the pilot wound up walking out 12 days after the crash.  He tried to write a book, but I don't think that it ever got beyond the hopeful stage.  He did manage to get Readers Digest to publish what was essentially a short story about his exploits.  I think that the Readers Digest was published a couple of years ago: don't remember when , exactly.

Now, there could be some good teaching points in this story, but you have to remember that the guy did a lot of things wrong, including flying up a blind canyon when his aircraft couldn't outclimb the terrain.  He also left a dead passenger and a seriously wounded passenger, who later died.  There are lots of things about this crash that can be used to illustrate what not to do, but it makes good reading.

If you really need to know the dates, I can probably go back into my personal records and figure out the approximate dates.  Probably best to PM me.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Al Sayre

Volunteer Magazine has a pretty good article about Dennis Steinbock.  If you google him, you'll probably find some articles about his crash back in June.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

smj58501

Search the CAPNews archives. Generally they do a good job of highlighting our search efforts (as long as they find out), to include survivor stories. The excerpts are to the point, but provide enough information to narrow down which specific incidents may be worth a Google to find out the information you are looking for
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Stonewall

I'm looking for an email address of at least one of my two buddies who crashed a CAP plane on side of a mountain in West Virginia about 10 years ago.  They both survived but were rescued the same day.  That said, they did put to use their survival training and even came to my squadron to talk about their ordeal.

Will let you know if I find their contact info.
Serving since 1987.