Balloon launch needs help-Colorado

Started by Major Lord, December 05, 2007, 09:07:28 PM

SJFedor

But he's departing Lake City, so unless you're gonna pick him up on the far side of the mountains...

Speaking of, I borrowed an O2 Sat monitor from a friend at work once, went flying. I only sat 84-86% at 11,000 ft. That's almost good enough to get me intubated  :-[

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Major Lord

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 06, 2007, 06:46:49 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on December 06, 2007, 04:10:47 PM
Quote from: SJFedor on December 06, 2007, 08:16:31 AM
This one is a toughie.

It definitely wouldn't qualify as an AFAM at all. I don't know if CAP would take it on as a corporate, especially considering that if this guy has the $$ to do this, he's got the $$ to hire a chase plane or two to keep an eye on him. I can see the use of it as a training exercise of sorts, but CAP as an entity wouldn't be of much service. He can't use any of our comm assets or frequencies, since the usage of them is FOUO, and this wouldn't count, he's probably got his own chase crews, and using CAP corporate vehicles for such probably is not considered official CAP business.

Sounds neat though. If I knew we'd clear the mountain, I'd take a ride.

Definitely not an AFAM! ( I hope it does not end that way!) He does not need our help, but it would be a great educational opportunity for cadets and seniors. (Maybe even arrange a few hot air O-rides.....) If anyone in Colorado wants to get a group together to help him out, it would be precisely the kind of opportunity to our cadets would remember forever. As I understand the goal, they launch with a fixed amount of fuel and try to set a distance record. Not being a balloon guy, I don't know the rules. He is taking every precaution ( Including flying with one of the tracking transmitters I manufacture) survival  kit, etc. I am sorry if he has the money to fly and it offends people  (not really) instead of spending it on saving whales, global warming, or transgender education or something...I would love to go help out!

Major Lord

Why should CAP spend money on this?  Why would the Wing even consider using $$ to track this guy?  Other than the publicity, there is no value for the fuel. 

Who said anything about CAP spending money? If you want to help out, see if your SQ wants to help out. No more or no less than going out to help direct traffic at the 4th of July Parade. No one is asking for CAP aircraft, CAP vehicles, turning this into an AFAM, or launching search missions without authorization. What the he11 are you talking about? This is an opportunity to go and play, not a SAREX. Maybe no one mentioned this to you in the past, but CAP has an external aerospace education mission.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

mikeylikey

Quote from: Major Lord on December 06, 2007, 11:01:56 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on December 06, 2007, 06:46:49 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on December 06, 2007, 04:10:47 PM
Quote from: SJFedor on December 06, 2007, 08:16:31 AM
This one is a toughie.

It definitely wouldn't qualify as an AFAM at all. I don't know if CAP would take it on as a corporate, especially considering that if this guy has the $$ to do this, he's got the $$ to hire a chase plane or two to keep an eye on him. I can see the use of it as a training exercise of sorts, but CAP as an entity wouldn't be of much service. He can't use any of our comm assets or frequencies, since the usage of them is FOUO, and this wouldn't count, he's probably got his own chase crews, and using CAP corporate vehicles for such probably is not considered official CAP business.

Sounds neat though. If I knew we'd clear the mountain, I'd take a ride.

Definitely not an AFAM! ( I hope it does not end that way!) He does not need our help, but it would be a great educational opportunity for cadets and seniors. (Maybe even arrange a few hot air O-rides.....) If anyone in Colorado wants to get a group together to help him out, it would be precisely the kind of opportunity to our cadets would remember forever. As I understand the goal, they launch with a fixed amount of fuel and try to set a distance record. Not being a balloon guy, I don't know the rules. He is taking every precaution ( Including flying with one of the tracking transmitters I manufacture) survival  kit, etc. I am sorry if he has the money to fly and it offends people  (not really) instead of spending it on saving whales, global warming, or transgender education or something...I would love to go help out!

Major Lord

Why should CAP spend money on this?  Why would the Wing even consider using $$ to track this guy?  Other than the publicity, there is no value for the fuel. 

Who said anything about CAP spending money? If you want to help out, see if your SQ wants to help out. No more or no less than going out to help direct traffic at the 4th of July Parade. No one is asking for CAP aircraft, CAP vehicles, turning this into an AFAM, or launching search missions without authorization. What the he11 are you talking about? This is an opportunity to go and play, not a SAREX. Maybe no one mentioned this to you in the past, but CAP has an external aerospace education mission.

Major Lord

From your original post it sounded like he would need planes to follow, corporate vehicles on the ground ready etc.  Those planes and vans don't run on water you know. 
What's up monkeys?