Floor Plan for CAP Hangar

Started by JosephBarnabas, May 27, 2016, 02:07:13 AM

JosephBarnabas

We are doing long long long range planning and would like to have our own CAP hangar someday.  We would like to house at least two planes and have a communications room and meeting space for 50 people (or more).  Does anyone have a schematic floor plan for a Civil Air Patrol building that they could share so that we could get some estimated costs and begin working toward this goal?  Do you have suggestions for things that should be included in a CAP facility?

Eclipse

Land must be significantly less expensive and more plentiful at TN airports then up my way.

The last time I did this dance with a unit on an airport that was in a populated area, the initial build was going
to cost in excess of $1MM with annual operating costs well into the multiple 6 figures.

Even if the project and operating expenses was a 3rd of that, you're talking about money that is well outside the
reach of most wings, let alone a squadron.

Believe it or not the POC for the project actually got buy-in from the airport to extend a ramp to the hanger and
participate in some shared costs as well.

The idea was to build out an EOC that could be cost-shared with other local agencies and groups.

Facilities included sleeping areas, shower facilities, and a kitchen.

It didn't happen for 10 reasons, but the primary one is that CAP, on the mean, isn't capable, nor frankly interested,
in fund raising, capital expenditures, and projects on this kind of scale at a local level.

i.e. CAP doesn't want to own real property, and frankly I don't blame them.

"That Others May Zoom"

JosephBarnabas

I would agree with you completely, Eclipse.  Land cost is not the issue and the local airport authority is very supportive.  They provide much of our support and the Wing would not be obligated.  I know this is very ambitious, but I also know that there are squadrons out there with their own dedicated facilities.  We just need a number to start the discussion.  And we need a floor plan to get a number.

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on May 27, 2016, 02:21:59 AM

.... cost-shared with other local agencies and groups.

And there you have it. Find an investor who would like to build it, own it, and rent space to the various agencies interested. As stated, CAP should not be in the real estate business.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Майор Хаткевич

I recently came upon those sketches for the building. Should have copies at home. There's a 3d render at the end of this video: https://vimeo.com/5771034

NIN

I drew this up years ago when my wing was looking to build a headquarters.

An architect who was a member came up with a pretty grandiose plan that really wasn't going to be workable / cost effective. And didn't include a hangar.

Its not 100%, either, but gives you some ideas. The original idea was your could build this in 2-3 phases.  One could be the building and then eventually "enclose the L" for a hangar.  Or build one side & the hangar to start, and then build the other side.  The offices were laid out in such a way that you could use them for briefing rooms in event of a mission on a weekend.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

grunt82abn

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 27, 2016, 04:34:21 AM
I recently came upon those sketches for the building. Should have copies at home. There's a 3d render at the end of this video: https://vimeo.com/5771034

Awesome Video!!!
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Eclipse

Quote from: grunt82abn on May 27, 2016, 10:45:35 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 27, 2016, 04:34:21 AM

Awesome Video!!!

The former Squadron CC that produced that pinged me today - he couldn't figure out why all of a sudden his views were
spiking after it sitting dormant for ages.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Heh. I'd pop in every year or so. Had my 5 seconds of fame in there as well.

arajca

If you're making plans, consider two stories vs one. This can reduce the amount of land needed for the building and if you're including a hangar, you'll need the vertical space for a part of it anyway. Also consider renewable energy sources - solar panels can help reduce your electric bill and, if installed when the building is being constructed, can be eligible for some serious funding. A properly planned and sized system can handle your maintenance level (when no one is there) power needs and a good storage system can handle minor use (radio nets, one or two office in use). Put in good insulation.

Eclipse

One of the biggest challenges is "empty time".

The typical unit meets what?  8-15 hours a month, with maybe one weekend day in there?

The majority of the time it sits idle, but the heat has to be on, the snow has to be shoveled,
etc., etc.

Not a major concern when the airport gives you an unused outbuilding that was vacant anyway,
a big deal when the whole nut belongs to the squadron. 

"That Others May Zoom"

C/SrA Ravlin

That floor plan that was posted is awesome I would just put a door through from the comms to the ES room that way they could talk and make plans during a SAR operation easier. Another squadron in my area shares one with the EAA so that may be a option as well...
Cadet SrA Ravlin
Cadet Communications NCO
Boise RMR-ID-073
"Semper Vigilans"
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
www.boisecap.org

Holding Pattern

If anyone is extremely bored, when I was once helping someone with some planning on this type of thing I ended up discovering the existence of this document:

EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER
PLANNING AND DESIGN

vesryn

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on June 01, 2016, 06:09:15 PM
If anyone is extremely bored, when I was once helping someone with some planning on this type of thing I ended up discovering the existence of this document:

EMERGENCY OPERATIONS CENTER
PLANNING AND DESIGN

Thanks.  It's the end of the year, nothing to do, and I'm doing nothing in a dull study hall anyways.

This is  a good read, once you get past the first few pages.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19