Jump Start- ABU Name Tapes, AF Occupational Badges, CAP Specialty Track Badges,

Started by USAFRiggerGuy, May 06, 2016, 01:06:55 PM

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on May 22, 2016, 10:50:59 PM
But that is not what it says. Not even in the zip code.

It's mandatory to have blues, yet new cadets have to wait up to 2 months or more to get them, if the unit has a full set in their size.

Ehhhh....I lost my train of thought. You win.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

kwe1009

Quote from: PHall on May 23, 2016, 12:40:13 AM
You say Encampment is not "required", but, for the cadet to advance in the program they have to attend and complete an Encampment.
Otherwise they can be 2b'd for failure to progress in the program.
Sounds like Catch 22 is alive and well!

No argument there.

For many years the Air Force had a similar policy with PME.  They made all levels of PME completely voluntary but if you wanted to get promoted then you had to take the course. 

Encampment is definitely not required but at some point in a cadet's career they will either have to attend or face a 2b for failure to progress. 

Quote from: Garibaldi on May 23, 2016, 01:31:29 AM
Quote from: THRAWN on May 22, 2016, 10:50:59 PM
But that is not what it says. Not even in the zip code.

It's mandatory to have blues, yet new cadets have to wait up to 2 months or more to get them, if the unit has a full set in their size.

Ehhhh....I lost my train of thought. You win.

Cadets should not wait that long to get blues with the Curry voucher system.  Another Catch 22 with that is in order to earn the Curry, one of the requirements is to demonstrate that you can wear the uniform properly but you don't get the blue uniform until AFTER you earn the Curry.  So you either have to go buy a uniform (blues or BDU) or borrow one.  Once a cadet does earn the Curry they get the voucher usually within a few days and get the uniform a few days after ordering it.  Of course the Curry voucher doesn't cover the complete cost that Vanguard charges for blues so that creates another potential issue.

majdomke

The instant the CC approves the promotion for Curry the cadet gets an email with the voucher. CC receives a copy of the email which is how I know. No idea why I get them but at least they can't complain they never got the email when I've been cc'd on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwe1009

Quote from: majdomke on May 27, 2016, 06:38:31 AM
The instant the CC approves the promotion for Curry the cadet gets an email with the voucher. CC receives a copy of the email which is how I know. No idea why I get them but at least they can't complain they never got the email when I've been cc'd on it.

Squadron CCs get the Curry email so when Cadet Snuffy says that he can't get blues because he never got the voucher you can provide it to him.  I have done that a couple of times in the past year.  It does still amaze me how CAP emails seem to disappear into into nothingness but the cadet can get an email from anyone else with no issues.  Strange how that works! ;D

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 27, 2016, 02:44:46 PM
Quote from: majdomke on May 27, 2016, 06:38:31 AM

Squadron CCs get the Curry email so when Cadet Snuffy says that he can't get blues because he never got the voucher you can provide it to him.  I have done that a couple of times in the past year.  It does still amaze me how CAP emails seem to disappear into into nothingness but the cadet can get an email from anyone else with no issues.  Strange how that works! ;D

That's because Snuffy and Snowflake got together and devised this plan of "I'm going to be lazy; they'll baby us anyway."

Not on my watch.  >:D

Eclipse

They aren't "instant", by a long shot.  In most cases, unless something has changed in the last few weeks, it takes 1-2 weeks for them to show up.

"That Others May Zoom"

majdomke

Quote from: Eclipse on May 27, 2016, 03:05:25 PM
They aren't "instant", by a long shot.  In most cases, unless something has changed in the last few weeks, it takes 1-2 weeks for them to show up.
I love how people are so quick to want to correct people on these boards. One of the main reasons I stay away most of the time. In my experience, which my posts are always based on, I've received the last two instantly. Your personal results may vary but then again, I wasn't speaking for everyone, just myself.

majdomke

Back to the topic of the OP... I just received my AF occupation badges with silver on navy from Williams and Williams. You weren't kidding when someone said they are way off when you ask them to fold for me. The example looks right, with there being about 1/8" of background. When I got them, it's more like 1/2" at least. Waste of time asking them to fold when you need to fix it yourself. Other than that, it was a good buy. Their website is a pain to navigate and the only way you are ever going to find the military occupation badges on fabric is from their main page, left hand column at bottom, Information for and then click on Civil Air Patrol. You then get the standard legal disclaimer that they will not make CAP related patches however they will do military badges for our uniforms. A search option on their website would make things easier. https://www.nametags4u.com/civilairpatrol/

Eclipse

Quote from: majdomke on May 27, 2016, 03:17:48 PM
I love how people are so quick to want to correct people on these boards. One of the main reasons I stay away most of the time. In my experience, which my posts are always based on, I've received the last two instantly. Your personal results may vary but then again, I wasn't speaking for everyone, just myself.

I don't know that I'd call 8+ hours "quick" in internet land, but so be it.

You made a statement which if not "incorrect" per se, is certainly not consistent, and as a Unit CC, and Group and Wing-level CP officer you don't understand why you
are getting the Curry emails?

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Here's the example for my sister:
C/Amn   19 Apr 2016
Mom received email voucher:
Date: April 22, 2016 at 3:30:50 PM CDT

I'm the CDC, and I didn't get anything.

majdomke

Quote from: Eclipse on May 27, 2016, 04:34:33 PM

You made a statement which if not "incorrect" per se, is certainly not consistent, and as a Unit CC, and Group and Wing-level CP officer you don't understand why you
Just more proof why people don't like posting here Eclipse. I've seen you take down people more often then I can remember. You assume everything and target everyone you disagree with. Lack of respect for fellow officers is unbecoming of an officer and against CAP values. Further comments from you will be ignored because I don't want to get to your level. I post here from time to time when I have something to contribute or I have questions. I, like everyone else, don't come here to get railed against.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: majdomke on May 27, 2016, 05:48:25 PM

Just more proof why people don't like posting here Eclipse. I've seen you take down people more often then I can remember. You assume everything and target everyone you disagree with. Lack of respect for fellow officers is unbecoming of an officer and against CAP values. Further comments from you will be ignored because I don't want to get to your level. I post here from time to time when I have something to contribute or I have questions. I, like everyone else, don't come here to get railed against.

Having a bad day? This is far from a take down...

majdomke

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 27, 2016, 04:58:56 PM
C/Amn   19 Apr 2016

You are correct, I didn't mean instant but it was pretty quick all things considered with CAP's history of being slow. I promoted someone at 9pm last Thursday and received the voucher email the next morning at 6:37am. Not that bad. As the CDc you probably don't get it because they think the CC is enough. I agree that perhaps you and the supply officer should also get the email. In the old days when we had to order the uniforms on eServices we would often just do the measurements at the squadron and order them ourselves. It made sure the cadet got what they were entitled to and also added to our supply should they leave. We also has all the orders sent directly to me so I knew they were received. I saw too many times were the cadet ordered on their own and had it shipped to their home. Only later to quit and never return them or claim they never got them. This was way we were better able to keep track of the uniforms. Since switching to the Curry voucher that practice has slipped and perhaps its time we do the same using the voucher before it expires. We already have their measurements since we have to issue a uniform from supply so they can promote in the first place. Just until we get ABU's... we are going to keep a much tighter control due to their cost. I already have a signed contract from the cadet and parents that they will return everything should they leave the program. This has worked about 80% of the time getting our stuff back. I wish it was 100% but the options for getting unreturned uniform items back are time consuming and can be expensive in cases where you could take them to small claims court. I'm not saying I've ever done that, but I think it's an option. We, as commanders, are supposed to do everything we can to get our equipment back. CAP isn't much help with that guidance and support from the legal officers so all we can do it email, call and send certified mail. Not being returned could be considered stolen but good luck getting law enforcement involved. About all you can do is keep at it and hopefully they come around. We just had one last night come in and turn all his stuff in. We haven't seen him for months and he had been in the program for at least three years. Tons of stuff we never expected back and much appreciated. It was a good night... we even had our internet speed upgraded by AT&T. We had only been getting 400Kbps for the past year and some tech was able to resolve the issue finally and now we have 6Mbps. What an amazing thing being able to actually use our computers online... ha ha.

majdomke

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 27, 2016, 05:52:03 PM
Quote from: majdomke on May 27, 2016, 05:48:25 PM

Having a bad day? This is far from a take down...
Sorry, I've been on this site for nearly 9 years and don't even recommend to my members anymore because so many do nothing more than go after people. Eclipse has some great posts and I've learned a lot from him over the years but I've also grown tired of people being taken down all the time. There's lots of valuable info on this forum but God help you if you ever decide to post something. Personal experiences and opinions are not respected and people feel they have to correct you as if they know what you've experienced better than yourself.
It seems America in general has become a land of people who are always at each others throats and the forums are no exception. Can't people just post their thoughts or questions without people trying to take them down or correct them? It's one thing if you come on here pretending to know regulations and being corrected. It's another when you post a question or comment and then have people harass you instead of being helpful. I think the majority of people are on here looking for answers. Just some simple and polite replies and answers would go a long way to bringing more members onto the site. Again, just my personal opinions and observations.

PHall

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 27, 2016, 04:58:56 PM
C/Amn   19 Apr 2016

You're the CDC, you shouldn't be getting anything. This is one of those CC things.

majdomke

I noticed the voucher emails come directly from Vanguard so I imagine there is a delay due to CAP relaying the cadets info to them and then their emailing out the voucher. Since we seem to see various results I suspect it's all backend computer lag time. Btw, I don't know if anyone else noticed this but about five months ago I stopped receiving the monthly newsletter and discount from Vanguard. No idea why, not ending up in my spam. I've even re-signed up and still get nothing. I've heard other members in my squadron say the same thing but wondered how widespread this is.

Майор Хаткевич

I always went to their Twitter for the discount code. As for CDC vs CC...CCs get a lot of mail, no reason CP stuff goes to them vs the CDC.

PHall

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 28, 2016, 07:16:04 AM
I always went to their Twitter for the discount code. As for CDC vs CC...CCs get a lot of mail, no reason CP stuff goes to them vs the CDC.

National, by default, sends everything to the CC. Your CC could try to have the CP stuff go to the CDC, but I don't think National is equipped to do that.

majdomke

I rarely use Twitter but I'll remember that for next time. Thanks.

kwe1009

Vanguard posts the discount code on their Facebook page too.