New CAPR 60-2, effective today except...

Started by Eclipse, March 02, 2018, 06:18:13 PM

Eclipse

...there's already a 60-2...so now there's a 60-2(I).

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R060002_Cadet_Protection_1_MAR_18_C9DF90813A654.pdf

Nothing earth shattering pops out, most of it is the equivalent to "tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors."
but as with all things CAP, odds are explicit verbiage means someone though a clarification was necessary.

"2.5.7. Travel on Commercial Airlines. When cadets travel to CAP activities via commercial airlines,
the project officer (e.g. conference organizer, NCSA director, etc.) will ensure that an adult leader meets
the cadets at the activity's designated airport for arrivals or ensure that the cadets have access to a shuttle
bus, for hotel-based activities. For the return trip, because airport security prevents non-flying adult
leaders from accompanying cadets to their gates, CAP releases cadets from the activity upon their
departure for the airport. However, the project officer will ensure cadets can reach an adult leader via
telephone in case of travel difficulties. Project officers will communicate these principles to cadets'
parents in the activity's welcome letter."

If anything this will likely have the unintended consequences of having to tell cadets they cannot attend
a respective activity if they have to fly to get there.  Few activities like encampments, etc., have the personnel
to give up to be meeting cadets at the airport, and few major cities are going to have shuttles all the way to
the outlying areas that encampments generally take place in. BTW - "an adult leader" = "at least two adults or
an adult and two cadets" due to the 3-up rules in vehicles.  Further, you can guarantee there will be conversations
where people try to use the above verbiage to justify an airport run by themselves based on "an".

"2.6.2.1. An inappropriately high level of training intensity does not meet this regulation's
definition of abuse or hazing unless it causes serious physical harm or serious emotional harm. "

So a cadet or senior isn't "hazing" per se, if they are treating CAP like FMJ, however that doesn't
mean it shouldn't be dealt with immediately.

" If the unit anticipates that cadets will be waiting on the ground more
than 30 minutes for their turn to fly, at least two adult leaders will provide supervision."

(This might make O-rides more difficult as many untis rely on one CAP leader and the parents.)

"In field conditions, the smallest subgroup must have at least 4 members... "

Includes a member from CAP-USAF that prohibits cadets from ever being 1-on-1 with a cadet.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

With the exception of the commercial air travel bit, I don't think any of that is new. And if you have an activity where cadets are traveling in by commercial air, how do you expect them to get there if not with a senior or two picking them up in a CAP vehicle from said airport?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

LATORRECA

Lol. Love you Eclipse, you always making sense out of the new corporate's soup letters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: jeders on March 02, 2018, 10:11:13 PM
With the exception of the commercial air travel bit, I don't think any of that is new. And if you have an activity where cadets are traveling in by commercial air, how do you expect them to get there if not with a senior or two picking them up in a CAP vehicle from said airport?

What about the cadets who are flying from...say, San Francisco or New York to Montgomery, with a change of planes st Chicago or Atlanta? They will actually (gasp!) have to make it from one terminal to another ALL BY THEMSELVES!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

NIN

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 03, 2018, 12:09:35 AM
What about the cadets who are flying from...say, San Francisco or New York to Montgomery, with a change of planes st Chicago or Atlanta? They will actually (gasp!) have to make it from one terminal to another ALL BY THEMSELVES!

I suspect our Dynamic Americans and Aerospace Leaders will somehow manage.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NIN on March 03, 2018, 10:40:11 AM

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 03, 2018, 12:09:35 AM

I suspect our Dynamic Americans and Aerospace Leaders will somehow manage.

But...but...safety...children...

(I have to laugh, as I sit here remembering flying on a USAF C-130 as an unaccompanied cadet to Dallas NAS, then almost catching a USN P-3 trip to Guantanamo and back while I waited for a USMC C-130 to El Toro...with no CAP people watching over any of it...)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.