Dutch Four Day Marches and Medal

Started by Shuman 14, February 04, 2022, 07:27:24 PM

Shuman 14

I wasn't sure where to post this idea, but since it comes with a Foreign Decoration, I thought the Uniform and Awards Board was as good as any place else.

Has CAP ever sent a team to the Four Day Marches in the Netherlands?

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, here is the International Four Day Marches -Nijmegen Wikipedia page and the official Four Day Marches Walk of the World webpage.

I thought it might be cool if CAP sponsored a team, maybe the same way we send Cadets to IACE, have both Cadets and Senior members apply to the team and take the best there to compete.

I know the US Army now allows the Dutch Cross for Marching Proficiency Medal to be worn on it's uniform, but I'm not sure if the USAF has. Would CAP allow it to be worn on our uniforms?

I've never been, but I hear it is an amazing time. If anyone here has been, please share your memories and if you think it would be a good idea for CAP to send a team?   
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 04, 2022, 07:27:24 PMI wasn't sure where to post this idea, but since it comes with a Foreign Decoration, I thought the Uniform and Awards Board was as good as any place else.

Has CAP ever sent a team to the Four Day Marches in the Netherlands?

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, here is the International Four Day Marches -Nijmegen Wikipedia page and the official Four Day Marches Walk of the World webpage.

I thought it might be cool if CAP sponsored a team, maybe the same way we send Cadets to IACE, have both Cadets and Senior members apply to the team and take the best there to compete.

I know the US Army now allows the Dutch Cross for Marching Proficiency Medal to be worn on it's uniform, but I'm not sure if the USAF has. Would CAP allow it to be worn on our uniforms?

I've never been, but I hear it is an amazing time. If anyone here has been, please share your memories and if you think it would be a good idea for CAP to send a team?   
Not sure on the medal, but you sign up a CAP team Shuman and I'll come ruck with you, looks like a good time and the medal is sweet as well, whether or not it's authorized.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

etodd

Saying you want CAP to send you to the Netherlands just so you can get a "cool medal" isn't the way to sell the idea.

Maybe start from scratch, don't mention the medal, and tell Hdqs how CAP National would benefit from sending members to another country in oder to participate. And mention all the why and wherefores, the purpose, and what would be gained, etc., yadda, yadda.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Brit_in_CAP

This was and is hugely popular amongst the UK Air Cadets and the Royal Air Force, with several teams participating each year.

Fantastic idea to get a team together!

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: etodd on February 05, 2022, 12:52:21 AMSaying you want CAP to send you to the Netherlands just so you can get a "cool medal" isn't the way to sell the idea.

Maybe start from scratch, don't mention the medal, and tell Hdqs how CAP National would benefit from sending members to another country in oder to participate. And mention all the why and wherefores, the purpose, and what would be gained, etc., yadda, yadda.
Rare event...I agree with my colleague here!

MSG Mac

Why send our members to the Netherlands, when we can ask our German and or UK based Squadrons to represent CAP?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Shuman 14

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 06, 2022, 06:50:49 PMWhy send our members to the Netherlands, when we can ask our German and or UK based Squadrons to represent CAP?

For the same reason we send states-side personnel to IACE.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 06, 2022, 11:59:09 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on February 06, 2022, 06:50:49 PMWhy send our members to the Netherlands, when we can ask our German and or UK based Squadrons to represent CAP?

Totally different. You're comparing apples to coconuts.

Eclipse

There's plenty of similar walks in the US, many for worthy charities.
No need to go on a Medal Quest to Europe.

"That Others May Zoom"

HandsomeWalt_USMC

The Nijmegen Marches are an incredibly cool event that foster networking and fraternal bonds between warriors of multiple nationalities. The shared challenge builds cameraderie and encourages open sharing of ideas, techniques and philosophies between troops, programs and units from all the participating countries. I'd love to see CAP have a presence in the marches.

That being said, I don't think it's worth the expense of sending teams over to participate. Perhaps a self-funded program that allows teams of Cadets and Officers to apply for CAP permission to wear the uniform and represent CAP and the United States would be an effective compromise. You could call it sponsorship or endorsement of the team.

If given "endorsement" then allow Cadets and Officers who complete the march to wear the medal and ribbon on their uniform. We have awards for dumber things, so I see no valid reason to deny finishers the privilege of wearing the ribbon.

Eclipse made a good point about similar rucks here in the US for various charities. Use the same endorsement and self funding requirements and allow them to wear a finisher's medal if one is awarded by the organizers.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

GroundHawg

Of the "big 3" marching events that you can earn uniform bling for, the Nijmegen March was by far the coolest imho. This would be an amazing and eye opening experience for any CAP member, in particular cadets. It will absolutely test your endurance and test your resolve! Core memories would be made and horizons broadened. Imagine the opportunity for a kid who has never left his county or state to bicycle through Amsterdam, see the Hague, tour Anne Franks house, and hear 20 languages being spoken at a coffee shop.

Set up some side quests in the Netherlands, tours trips, etc...

Maybe even use your IACE contacts and see about testing for the Dutch Military Proficiency Badge while you are there. Make it a two for one on your uniform bling.

This is a great idea! I have thought about this myself and I will absolutely go back if given the opportunity!

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on February 07, 2022, 05:02:09 AM
Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 06, 2022, 11:59:09 PM

Totally different. You're comparing apples to coconuts.

Is it? plenty of IACE members have teams that compete, it about team building, and comradery with similar Cadet programs world wide as well as interaction with our own military and Allied militaries.

It would seem they go hand-in-hand.
Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: Eclipse on February 07, 2022, 05:23:41 AMThere's plenty of similar walks in the US, many for worthy charities.
No need to go on a Medal Quest to Europe.

I knew you'd say something righteous and hopeful. Thanks for never disappointing.
Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on February 07, 2022, 11:06:46 AMThe Nijmegen Marches are an incredibly cool event that foster networking and fraternal bonds between warriors of multiple nationalities. The shared challenge builds cameraderie and encourages open sharing of ideas, techniques and philosophies between troops, programs and units from all the participating countries. I'd love to see CAP have a presence in the marches.

That being said, I don't think it's worth the expense of sending teams over to participate. Perhaps a self-funded program that allows teams of Cadets and Officers to apply for CAP permission to wear the uniform and represent CAP and the United States would be an effective compromise. You could call it sponsorship or endorsement of the team.

If given "endorsement" then allow Cadets and Officers who complete the march to wear the medal and ribbon on their uniform. We have awards for dumber things, so I see no valid reason to deny finishers the privilege of wearing the ribbon.

Eclipse made a good point about similar rucks here in the US for various charities. Use the same endorsement and self funding requirements and allow them to wear a finisher's medal if one is awarded by the organizers.

Where in any of my posts did I say CAP had to pay for it? I didn't, it be nice if CAPHQ would/could fund it, but I understand budget constraints.

All I was asking would CAP bless off on it and say the team can wear CAP uniforms, carry a CAP Guidon, and use CAP branding as needed.

I wasn't asking for a free trip to the Netherlands on CAP's dime.

As to similar marches, great, lets do them all, it would get CAP some free publicity and help charity, but can we do the Four Day Marches too?
Joseph J. Clune

THRAWN

This is the best of the ideas. Let the overseas units do overseas stuff and the CONUS units do CONUS stuff. What's next?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: GroundHawg on February 07, 2022, 02:49:29 PMOf the "big 3" marching events that you can earn uniform bling for, the Nijmegen March was by far the coolest imho. This would be an amazing and eye opening experience for any CAP member, in particular cadets. It will absolutely test your endurance and test your resolve! Core memories would be made and horizons broadened. Imagine the opportunity for a kid who has never left his county or state to bicycle through Amsterdam, see the Hague, tour Anne Franks house, and hear 20 languages being spoken at a coffee shop.

Set up some side quests in the Netherlands, tours trips, etc...

Maybe even use your IACE contacts and see about testing for the Dutch Military Proficiency Badge while you are there. Make it a two for one on your uniform bling.

This is a great idea! I have thought about this myself and I will absolutely go back if given the opportunity!

Requirements:
1000 m sprint (To be completed with helmet and rifle)
5000 m run
Hand grenade throwing
Rope climbing
Cat crawling
Obstacle Course
Completion of these requirements qualifies a candidate for the plain bronze badge.

Nah. You know why.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

HandsomeWalt_USMC

Quote from: Shuman 14 on February 07, 2022, 03:44:14 PM
Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on February 07, 2022, 11:06:46 AMThe Nijmegen Marches are an incredibly cool event that foster networking and fraternal bonds between warriors of multiple nationalities. The shared challenge builds cameraderie and encourages open sharing of ideas, techniques and philosophies between troops, programs and units from all the participating countries. I'd love to see CAP have a presence in the marches.

Where in any of my posts did I say CAP had to pay for it? I didn't, it be nice if CAPHQ would/could fund it, but I understand budget constraints.

All I was asking would CAP bless off on it and say the team can wear CAP uniforms, carry a CAP Guidon, and use CAP branding as needed.

I wasn't asking for a free trip to the Netherlands on CAP's dime.

As to similar marches, great, lets do them all, it would get CAP some free publicity and help charity, but can we do the Four Day Marches too?

I didn't mean to imply that you did say to pay, I meant to clarify for the naysayers who would use cost as a reason not to do this. I think it's a phenomenal idea!
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Shuman 14

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on February 07, 2022, 04:19:49 PMI didn't mean to imply that you did say to pay, I meant to clarify for the naysayers who would use cost as a reason not to do this. I think it's a phenomenal idea!

Roger. Tracking now.
Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: THRAWN on February 07, 2022, 04:09:25 PM

This is the best of the ideas. Let the overseas units do overseas stuff and the CONUS units do CONUS stuff. What's next?

Cancel IACE?
Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: THRAWN on February 07, 2022, 04:11:07 PMRequirements:
1000 m sprint (To be completed with helmet and rifle)
5000 m run
Hand grenade throwing
Rope climbing
Cat crawling
Obstacle Course
Completion of these requirements qualifies a candidate for the plain bronze badge.

Nah. You know why.

Rubber ducks can be borrowed from hundreds of US Military units... no Cadet touches an M-16/A1/A2/M4.
I'm not 100% here but I suspect they are already using dummy grenades... no Cadet touches an explosive device.
But I'm sure the answer will still be "NO".

FYI, numerous Military bases and College ROTC programs coordinate with the various German Military Liaison Missions to  host German Military Proficiency Badge testing events, it might be easier to coordinate with the closest AFROTC program to your respective CAP unit and see if you can marry-up with them when they conduct the event.

A van ride to a semi-local college campus is a far easier do than travelling to the Netherlands.

Still be cool to send an official CAP team to Holland every year to take part in the event, just saying.
Joseph J. Clune