Ribbons from Cadet to SM

Started by yolo, January 10, 2022, 02:01:50 AM

yolo

Hi y'all. Are there any ribbons apart from encampment and highest cadet achievement that Senior members who were former cadets can wear?

Thanks,
yolo

Eclipse

NCSA, Find, ASAR, Comm Comm, Unit Cit, ESA, DSA, Lifesaving, SMV, BMV, RSR. NCC Unit Cit, AFOEA, CCSR, HLS, DR and DR-V.

Not sure on the IACE and NCCs.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Add the CAC ribbon to your list too.

SarDragon

Here are the cadet awards that cannot be worn on the SM uniform:

Cadet Program Awards/Achievements
Highest only
Gen Carl A. Spaatz Award
Ira C. Eaker Award
Amelia Earhart Award
Gen Billy Mitchell Award
Neil Armstrong Achievement
Dr. Robert H. Goddard Achievement
Gen Jimmy F. Doolittle Achievement
Charles A. Lindbergh Achievement
Capt Eddie Rickenbacker Achievement
Wright Brothers Award
Mary Feik Achievement
Gen Hap Arnold Achievement
Gen J.F. Curry Achievement

Service
AFA Award to Unit Cadet of the Year
AFSA Award to Unit Cadet NCO of the Year
VFW Outstanding Cadet Officer of the Year Award
VFW Outstanding Cadet NCO of the Year Award
Red Service RibbonActivity

Cadet Recruiter Ribbon - converts to SM Recruiter

Everything else earned as a cadet crosses over. Per CAPR 39-3 ATTACHMENT 2, page 30
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

baronet68

Visit the McChord Rack Builder and it will show you all of the CAP ribbons and awards that may be worn by senior members. 

As mentioned before, with the exception of AFA and VFW awards (and the recounting needed to calculate eligibility for the Sr Recruiter Ribbon), basically all decorations and activity/participation ribbons earned as a cadet transfer over to senior membership.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Luis R. Ramos

Where does the prohibition against wearing those below is on the CAPR 39-3? Attachment 2, Page 30 is only a list of ribbons issued, not a listing of crossover.

AFA Award to Unit Cadet of the Year
AFSA Award to Unit Cadet NCO of the Year
VFW Outstanding Cadet Officer of the Year Award
VFW Outstanding Cadet NCO of the Year Award
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

GroundHawg

39-3 attachment 2 covers what can and cant be worn. If it is not listed, it cant be worn.

yolo

I had no idea it was that many, thanks for the resources. Very helpful.

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on January 10, 2022, 05:37:02 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 10, 2022, 03:40:32 AMRed Service RibbonActivity

?

Red Service transfers

RSR is for total years spent in CAP, so why wouldn't it transfer over?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: SarDragon on January 10, 2022, 03:40:32 AMCadet Recruiter Ribbon - converts to SM Recruiter

Does the entire ribbon carry over, or is it only until the difference is made up for the SM Recruiter Ribbon?

For example:
Cadets need 2 recruits for the ribbon; seniors need 5.

If a cadet has 2 recruits and earns the ribbon, and the cadet transfers and becomes a senior member, do they wear the senior recruiter ribbon because they earned it as a cadet; or, do they have to recruit 3 more members before they may wear the SM ribbon?

jeders

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 10, 2022, 04:33:54 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 10, 2022, 03:40:32 AMCadet Recruiter Ribbon - converts to SM Recruiter

Does the entire ribbon carry over, or is it only until the difference is made up for the SM Recruiter Ribbon?

For example:

If a cadet has 2 recruits and earns the ribbon, and the cadet transfers and becomes a senior member, do they wear the senior recruiter ribbon because they earned it as a cadet; or, do they have to recruit 3 more members before they may wear the SM ribbon?

Quote from: CAPR 39-3, ICL 19-02Paragraph 21k(2) Senior Ribbon (Recruiter Ribbon). Awarded to senior members who recruit seven new qualified cadets, senior members, or Aerospace Education members. A bronze clasp is awarded for each additional 10 members recruited. A silver clasp replaces five bronze clasps. Bronze clasps are not worn after the silver clasp is awarded. An additional silver clasp is awarded for each additional 50 members recruited. Members recruited as a cadet may be included in determining entitlement in the case of senior members who were former cadets.

As a unit commander (recruiting ribbons are awarded by unit commanders), my reading of this is that if a cadet earned the cadet recruiter ribbon and turns senior, they only get the senior ribbon if they have 7 total including any people recruited while a cadet.

Example: Cadet recruits 5 people while a cadet, earns the basic cadet recruiter ribbon. Turns senior and takes recruiter ribbon off until they recruit 2 more people, at which time the senior recruiter ribbon is earned.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: jeders on January 10, 2022, 04:42:52 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on January 10, 2022, 04:33:54 PM

For example:

Quote from: CAPR 39-3, ICL 19-02Paragraph 21k(2) Senior Ribbon (Recruiter Ribbon). Awarded to senior members who recruit seven new qualified cadets, senior members, or Aerospace Education members. A bronze clasp is awarded for each additional 10 members recruited. A silver clasp replaces five bronze clasps. Bronze clasps are not worn after the silver clasp is awarded. An additional silver clasp is awarded for each additional 50 members recruited. Members recruited as a cadet may be included in determining entitlement in the case of senior members who were former cadets.

As a unit commander (recruiting ribbons are awarded by unit commanders), my reading of this is that if a cadet earned the cadet recruiter ribbon and turns senior, they only get the senior ribbon if they have 7 total including any people recruited while a cadet.

Example: Cadet recruits 5 people while a cadet, earns the basic cadet recruiter ribbon. Turns senior and takes recruiter ribbon off until they recruit 2 more people, at which time the senior recruiter ribbon is earned.

That's my take as well.

I read the comment about swapping out the Cadet ribbon for the Senior ribbon, and didn't think it met par with the changeover in criteria.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Quote from: undefined39-3 attachment 2 covers what can and cant be worn. If it is not listed, it cant be worn.

Again, I have been looking at that list for the past ten years I have been involved preparing award requests. Nowhere in CAPR 39-3 does it state "what is not here cannot be worn." So I assumed it was only those awards that were issued to cadets and seniors.

It does NOT say "Awards not in this list cannot be worn." If it said that it would not be left to misinterpretation.

Quote from: undefined30 CAPR 39-3 ATTACHMENT 2 28 DECEMBER 2012

ATTACHMENT 2 − CAP RIBBONS
CADET RIBBONS....

CAPR 39-3 ATTACHMENT 2 (CONT'D) 28 DECEMBER 2012 31
SENIOR RIBBONS....

Thankfully I had never been in a position to decide whether those AFA and VFW awards will not transfer to the senior uniform.

Anyway, I will take your word for it, but this is another of those cases where CAP publications are not well written.
Squadron Safety Officer

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 10, 2022, 11:06:51 PMAgain, I have been looking at that list for the past ten years I have been involved preparing award requests. Nowhere in CAPR 39-3 does it state "what is not here cannot be worn." So I assumed it was only those awards that were issued to cadets and seniors.

I mean, it seems fairly self-evident, at least to me? The "Senior Ribbons" page lists various ribbons that can only be earned as a cadet -- like the various cadet awards ("highest cadet award earned") and the CAC ribbon ("earned as a cadet") -- so it's obviously not "a list of things that you can get", which really only leaves "a list of things you can wear".

Luis R. Ramos

Quote....like the various cadet awards ("highest cadet award earned")....

It can be also debatable this is a restatement of what is stated earlier in the regs, that you only wear the highest award, not necessarily "a list of things you can wear."

And until it was modified about one or two years ago, you could make a senior rack with the AFA, AFSA, and VFW awards in the McChord Squadron Rack Builder.

But again, I will accept that no, the AFA, AFSA, or VFW awards cannot be worn as a senior member as a consensus.

Squadron Safety Officer

baronet68

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 11, 2022, 01:48:27 AMAnd until it was modified about one or two years ago, you could make a senior rack with the AFA, AFSA, and VFW awards in the McChord Squadron Rack Builder.

But again, I will accept that no, the AFA, AFSA, or VFW awards cannot be worn as a senior member as a consensus.

You must be thinking of some other rack building application.

As the person who built the McChord Rack Builder (and the person who has made every modification since its creation in 2004) I can speak with some authority on the topic.  The AFA, AFSA, and VFW awards have NEVER been available to make racks for senior members.

Here's a screenshot from 2004 and you'll notice those awards are not available.  In fact, the currently authorized Cadet Advisory Council Ribbon was not authorized for senior members in 2004 and therefore was not available to SMs at that time.

Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Eclipse

Quote from: baronet68 on January 11, 2022, 07:10:54 PMAs the person who built the McChord Rack Builder (and the person who has made every modification since its creation in 2004)

Psssh..."Appeals to authority"...  ;D

"That Others May Zoom"