CAP Pilots - Flying Shoes

Started by SLOWR426, November 17, 2017, 11:39:59 PM

SLOWR426

I just achieved TMP, doing my Form 5 wearing zip-up tactical boots per the Corporate uniform.  They made rudder work a bit of a pain.

What shoes do you experienced Mission pilots wear?

Can we wear any black tennis shoes and still comply with the corporate uniform?

Those Lyft flying shoes look pretty practical. Can we change shoes during preflight into non - approved footwear?  For safety sake?

Eclipse

Quote from: SLOWR426 on November 17, 2017, 11:39:59 PM
I just achieved TMP, doing my Form 5 wearing zip-up tactical boots per the Corporate uniform.  They made rudder work a bit of a pain.

No.
What shoes do you experienced Mission pilots wear?
Most just wear boots or normal uniform-compliant street shoes.

Those Lyft flying shoes look pretty practical. Can we change shoes during preflight into non - approved footwear?  For safety sake?
No.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on November 17, 2017, 11:56:48 PM

No.

BBDU (this is actually what the reg says... bad editing):
Quote5.2.1.7. Footwear. Socks black shoes or booand black combat boots are mandatory with this uniform.

Polo:
Quote5.2.2.6. Footwear. Black socks (white socks may be worn with boots) and any plain black shoe, boot or combat boot are required with this uniform (see paragraph 6.4.4 (Male), 6.4.5 (Female) and 6.4.3 (Combat Boots)

I don't see anything there to support your answer. Just says black shoes or boots.

etodd

Really enjoy my Rockports. Comfy, can walk for miles and still look 'dressy enough'. Works great for the polo & gray slacks.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Mitchell 1969

Visit a police uniform store. They have lots of shoes that look like military plain toes, but are virtual tennis shoes without looking like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

CAPLTC

Can we change shoes during preflight into non - approved footwear?  For safety sake?

Yes.
Wear whatever you want in the cockpit.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

Storm Chaser

Quote from: CAPLTC on November 18, 2017, 01:27:30 PM
Can we change shoes during preflight into non - approved footwear?  For safety sake?

Yes.
Wear whatever you want in the cockpit.

That's incorrect. Only authorized CAP uniforms as prescribed in CAPM 39-1 can be worn during flight in accordance with CAPR 60-1 and the upcoming CAPR 70-1.

CAPLTC

Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 19, 2017, 06:26:23 AM
That's incorrect. Only authorized CAP uniforms as prescribed in CAPM 39-1 can be worn during flight in accordance with CAPR 60-1 and the upcoming CAPR 70-1.

Crazy talk.
He'll be OK wearing whatever shoes are most suited to him in the cockpit.
"Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American democracy) and kill every one of them until they're so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact." -- SECDEF Mattis

Luis R. Ramos

So you are saying that CAP regulations are just that - A suggestion?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: CAPLTC on November 19, 2017, 02:56:59 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on November 19, 2017, 06:26:23 AM

Crazy talk.
He'll be OK wearing whatever shoes are most suited to him in the cockpit.

"...most suited to him..." is a pretty wide description and is out of sync with the requirement to wear a uniform, as it could be contrary to uniform requirements.

What if the "most suited to him" is flip flops? Cowboy boots? Bunny slippers? Barefoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Luis R. Ramos

Flipflops are not shoes, neither is going barefoot...

Yet we have identified one member that seems to regard CAP regulations as suggestions instead of regulations...

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

SLOWR426

Thank you all for your help, especially those who understand my safety concerns while flying left seat.  I ended up getting some Rockport black shoes which I think qualify, and are extremely light weight with very flexible soles, without a heel.  It should help with rudder feel and taxiing significantly over the more formal, rigid shoes and tactical boots:

Flying Pig

If you are in the corporate uniform (Blue Polo and Grey slacks) shoes are fine.  If you are in a flight suit, make the effort to wear something that looks like a boot.  Seriously.... wearing shoes in a flight suit  makes you look silly.   Most CAP pilots look horrendous in a flight suit.  if you showed up to my work looking like most CAP pilots, I would send you home if you were an employee.   There are so many different options for boots these days, there is no reason to show up in black tennis shoes in a flight suit. 

On a side note..... the blue/grey corporate uniform needs a serious revamp.  its just ugly and looks like something that got on a time machine out of the 1980s.

Live2Learn

I'm curious if you have ever considered the risk of a post crash fire?  Or an inflight fire?  If you're thinking of becoming a MP a lot of your air time may be over terrain where an off airport landing might not be a happy prospect.  Leather boots are a really good idea if you want to fly searches, or even photo missions.  So is nomex rather than a polo shirt and synthetic slacks.  FWIW, you'll get used to flying in boots.  Try Danners law enforcement models.  They're flexible, comfortable, and work very well in the cockpit.  http://www.danner.com/men/law-enforcement/?sortId=product-family

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: Live2Learn on November 21, 2017, 06:20:35 AM
I'm curious if you have ever considered the risk of a post crash fire?  Or an inflight fire?  If you're thinking of becoming a MP a lot of your air time may be over terrain where an off airport landing might not be a happy prospect.  Leather boots are a really good idea if you want to fly searches, or even photo missions.  So is nomex rather than a polo shirt and synthetic slacks.  FWIW, you'll get used to flying in boots.  Try Danners law enforcement models.  They're flexible, comfortable, and work very well in the cockpit.  http://www.danner.com/men/law-enforcement/?sortId=product-family

Safety talk:  Always dress for the environment NOT the flight.  If not Nomex, wear natural fiber.  offers better protection than synthetics in a fire.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 20, 2017, 07:31:05 PM
If you are in a flight suit, make the effort to wear something that looks like a boot. 

If you are in a flight suit, wear boots, not something that "looks like a boot." That's the regulation. That's the requirement.

If someone doesn't want to wear boots, they need to wear a different uniform. If they can't get over that, go serve in another organization that has standards you prefer.

Vegas1972

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on November 21, 2017, 05:18:54 PM
If you are in a flight suit, make the effort to wear something that looks like a boot. 

If you are in a flight suit, wear boots, not something that "looks like a boot." That's the regulation. That's the requirement.

If someone doesn't want to wear boots, they need to wear a different uniform. If they can't get over that, go serve in another organization that has standards you prefer.

Unless you're in the CFDU...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.", Sgt. John M. Stryker.

etodd

On a side note..... the blue/grey corporate uniform needs a serious revamp.  its just ugly and looks like something that got on a time machine out of the 1980s.

Please no. I shudder to think what might would replace it. Oh my!

Polos are timeless. So not sure what you mean. Whether casual wear on the weekend personal time or as employee uniform shirts for millions of folks, polos are still the choice very often.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Flying Pig

There is a lot of credibility lost on the "safety" argument when I can wear tennis shoes and fly in the blue polo combo... but if I wear a flight suit I have to be in leather boots.  As far as y comment about wear something that "looks like a boot" there are probably hundreds of selections out there that meet the requirements of CAP uniform regs

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Vegas1972 on November 21, 2017, 05:28:05 PM
Unless you're in the CFDU...

Correct. I was going toward the Corporate Field Uniform. I saw "corporate uniform" and that immediately clicked to me. You're right about the CFDU. Never crossed my mind.