Closing the CAP Heath Services Yahoo Group

Started by RNOfficer, June 10, 2013, 10:44:17 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: mattoondennis on July 29, 2013, 07:25:19 PMWe might learn lessons from military "auxillaries" that were epic fails.

Such as?

In terms of "rampant militarism", specific examples would be nice as well, since, you know, CAP is a paramilitary organization.

Also, why would your education and "social skills" be wasted simply because you are not posted as HSO?  We have thousands
of members who join specifically >not< to do their full time job on a volunteer basis. Their education and "social skills" aren't wasted.

It's also an interesting paradigm - joining a paramilitary organisation, and then disdaining the uniform and decorations.  How does that work, exactly?

"That Others May Zoom"

mattoondennis

I get the point about doing something different from someones regular job....am retired now but it was good to get out of the hospital and work as a reserve deputy or volunteer firefighter.

Wasted assets depend a lot on particular command and their abilities, priorities and interests.

It's not disdain as much as a gentle poke at self importance....being and developing thoughtful leaders without losing sight of an organization's fit in society. Einsatzgruppen might be an example albeit extreme of an aux that lost its soul.....lots of Phds leading, functionally very effective, proud.....the point is retaining an awareness of overall direction.

FW

Quote from: mattoondennis on July 30, 2013, 03:48:03 PM
I get the point about doing something different from someones regular job....am retired now but it was good to get out of the hospital and work as a reserve deputy or volunteer firefighter.

Wasted assets depend a lot on particular command and their abilities, priorities and interests.

I've been around CAP for a long time now.  I've even served as a "HSO" for a time; a very short time.  For me, it was just not rewarding.  HSO's, IMHO, augment the safety officer in fostering a safe and healthy environment for the members.  I rather do much more than that (outside of being an HSO).  I honestly think my "assets" were not wasted.  I would like to think my abilities were greatly expanded because of CAP's requests of me.

Eclipse

Quote from: mattoondennis on July 30, 2013, 03:48:03 PM

It's not disdain as much as a gentle poke at self importance....being and developing thoughtful leaders without losing sight of an organization's fit in society. Einsatzgruppen might be an example albeit extreme of an aux that lost its soul.....lots of Phds leading, functionally very effective, proud.....the point is retaining an awareness of overall direction.

You seriously dropped to Godwin's law on your second post on the board?

Correlation is not causation, and you might do well to choose better examples in your arguments if you want to be taken
seriously in a conversation about CAP. 

As to "wasted assets", that's on the member.  If one chooses to join CAP, and then stamps their feet and says "I won't do anything but medical care, and if CAP won't let me, then clearly they are wrong, I am right, and I'll just stand here, breath held, until I get my way..." then the only person wasting an asset is the person with the apnea, if for no other reason then their skills might be used in a different, better-suited organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: mattoondennis on July 29, 2013, 07:25:19 PM... I have served in various community organizations without much emphasis on uniform and decorations and have actually got quite a lot done. We might learn lessons from military "auxillaries" that were epic fails.

So this might be considered a "uniform thread" now   ::)