Inspector General Specialty Track

Started by SARDOC, March 23, 2011, 05:46:34 PM

SARDOC

In Reviewing the Specialty Track information for Inspector General, I'm a little surprised that there are no Prerequisites.  I think people entering the IG Specialty Track should have at least a certain amount of time in Civil Air Patrol and at least a Technician rating in at least one other Specialty Track so the inspector is more of a Subject Matter expert on the operations of the Civil Air Patrol.  What are your Thoughts...Thanks

Eclipse

Should be Major or above to even start.

Master in at least one other track, preferably one in the core missions (AE, CP, ES).

We don't need newb IG's, all they do is cause problems.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Well, I just looked at the current CAPP 203, and it, like most other tracks, takes you through a progression of skills, knowledge, and tasks. There are some course requirements. At least two of them are in seminar.

Some excerpts-

QuoteThe inspector general technician rating involves helping with complaint investigations and implementing inspector general programs for assessments. A technician rating prepares an IG for duty as an IG staff/support member. Completion of this course and subject matter expertise in inspections area(s) may qualify an officer to be "highly qualified" [CAPR 123-3 para 12e(1)] to assist in subordinate unit inspections.

QuoteThe inspector general senior rating involves developing inspector general programs for complaints and assessments.A senior rating prepares an IG for duty as an assistant IG to the wing IG.

QuoteThe inspector general master rating involves managing inspector general programs for complaints and assessments. A master rating qualifies an IG for duty at the wing, region or national level.

All three levels require coursework, and OJT.

I know majors who can't inspect their way out of a wet paper bag, and 2d Lts who would do well in the track. It depends on the individual.  I'm not sure that a Master rating in one of the core missions would be all that relevant, given that those are only three, out of about a dozen, of the inspection areas on a CI or SUI.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Granted, but the odds are a Major, or at least someone with Level III, is more likely than not to be better prepared to inspect units, than a SMWOG or even butter bar, any brown-bag® skills notwithstanding.

The three major areas of ES, CP, and less-so, AE, touch on enough of the rest of the program's pieces that a person is going to have at least a clue as to how things work and what is actually important.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on March 23, 2011, 11:05:43 PM
Granted, but the odds are a Major, or at least someone with Level III, is more likely than not to be better prepared to inspect units, than a SMWOG or even butter bar, any brown-bag® skills notwithstanding.

The three major areas of ES, CP, and less-so, AE, touch on enough of the rest of the program's pieces that a person is going to have at least a clue as to how things work and what is actually important.
Get real, it basically just a bunch of checklists they go down and check off and ask question and ask for documentation.  Also ask if you are doing something more than what the checklist requires.   People that are auditors, investigators, and even former military IG's can slip right into these position.  Sometimes it's better to have someone who has less knowledge in an area do the inspections.   Personally I think the IG folks in our wing are fair in their assessments.  Here again though it's basically meeting a checklist approved by CAP-USAF & National HQ.  There's really no surprises.

However, IF you really wanted to make things interesting do some "no notice" operational & even administrative inspections. >:D

RM 

cap235629

RM you forget that the IG also handles internal investigations at the direction of NHQ or the Wing CC
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: cap235629 on March 24, 2011, 01:16:23 AM
RM you forget that the IG also handles internal investigations at the direction of NHQ or the Wing CC
CAP should contract with "professional" private investigators to do these investigations.  I personally don't believe that the current CAP system of volunteer investigators works well.
RM       

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 24, 2011, 03:37:58 AM
CAP should contract with "professional" private investigators to do these investigations.  I personally don't believe that the current CAP system of volunteer investigators works well.   

Wait, let me guess...

hm...

...because you have "personal knowledge" of someone held responsible for their own negligence or bad behavior and it cost them money?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

..and that they should wear red tabs?

Larry Mangum

Nah, they should not even be in a uniform....
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2011, 04:31:47 PM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on March 24, 2011, 03:37:58 AM

Wait, let me guess...

hm...

...because you have "personal knowledge" of someone held responsible for their own negligence or bad behavior and it cost them money?
The primary reason is that the investigation could be closed in much less time (I'm talking about a full time investigator likely from a national firm that could be dispatched quickly in most areas of the country)  and a "professional" with appropriate training that would definitely be impartial in their approach to the investigation.   Where ever the facts fall on an individual under investigation or resolving a complaint that's the way it is.  With volunteer investigators (IG's) scheduling the time to conduct the inquiry might be an issue of the volunteer is employed full time in a demand job.
RM         

Eclipse

Yeah - or it might not.  And most people can be contacted these days via phone and email for IG investigations, so scheduling is a non-issue.

Interesting that in the same place you complain about the expense of CAP (and just about everything else related), you advocate things like
increased insurance and professional investigators.

No problem, as long as you have no issue with paying $200 a year to be a member, because that is where the money will come from.

Pick one and go with it.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2011, 09:50:54 PM
Yeah - or it might not.  And most people can be contacted these days via phone and email for IG investigations, so scheduling is a non-issue.

Interesting that in the same place you complain about the expense of CAP (and just about everything else related), you advocate things like
increased insurance and professional investigators.

No problem, as long as you have no issue with paying $200 a year to be a member, because that is where the money will come from.

Pick one and go with it.
Well, you never know what the cost is going to be unless you ask them.  Sometimes companies are looking for endorsements or are willing to do some work for free for basically the charity write off.  Perhaps the BOG, audit & investigations sub committee could at least look into that option as part of the "tool kit" that could be used IF needed.

BTW I do agree that some things can be done by telephone and maybe email, BUT again depending upon what is being investigated an eye to eye, in the CAP facility environment might be best.
RM

cap235629

Our wing IG is in charge of the Invesigations Bureau of a very large Police Department. He is totally unqualified but works for free.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Since it isn't needed, there is no point in taking the time to research the issue.

Honestly Radio, the level of "inject drama and problem where there is not" in your life must be pretty high.

We don't need to fix things that aren't broken just to make people feel better or provide busy work.

"That Others May Zoom"

peter rabbit

QuoteNah, they should not even be in a uniform....

Black hats, black suits, sunglasses like the "Blues Brothers" or "Men in Black"?  8)

RVT

Quote from: Eclipse on March 23, 2011, 06:56:27 PMShould be Major or above to even start.  Master in at least one other track, preferably one in the core missions (AE, CP, ES). 

Sounds like the Organizational Excellence track.  THAT one has heavy prerequisites and you have to apply to even be accepted in it.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2011, 10:22:55 PM
Since it isn't needed, there is no point in taking the time to research the issue.

Honestly Radio, the level of "inject drama and problem where there is not" in your life must be pretty high.

We don't need to fix things that aren't broken just to make people feel better or provide busy work.

I think it's good 'internal control procedures' to randomly spot check members using aircraft and vehicles to be sure that all regulations are being complied with.  I would guess that CAP members could possibly do this BUT if you get into photographing or videoing personnel on a more enhanced surveillance mode, the appropriate state law may required you to utilize a properly licensed private investigator or law enforcement personnel.

Again, it's something that can be looked at by the BOG and used on an as needed basis (but have the contract in place so that it can be immediately implemented).  I think most members in the IG positions do the very best they can with the training and education that they have BUT sometimes external assistance may be the best way to go.
RM

Larry Mangum

The statement " I would guess that CAP members could possibly do this BUT if you get into photographing or videoing personnel on a more enhanced surveillance mode", just shows you really do not know what the role of the IG is either in the Military or CAP.  Perhaps, you should set down and talk to an IG sometime.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Eclipse

^ ...and a half.

IG's are not the secret police of CAP, nor do they even have any enforcement or command authority.

They simply investigate and report findings after a complaint is filed, and they may be involved in inspections of units if that is the
plan the respective wing uses.

Radio - on one hand you want CAP to leave people alone, less regs, less cost, and on the other you want to hire people to hide in bushes and
try to find violations of regulations?

"That Others May Zoom"