Main Menu

Top Gun: Maverick

Started by Eclipse, July 19, 2019, 12:03:57 AM

OldGuy

Quote from: PHall on July 21, 2019, 07:29:09 PM
Quote from: OldGuy on July 21, 2019, 02:22:20 PM
'Top Gun' sequel, co-produced by China's Tencent, appears to remove Japanese, Taiwanese flags

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2019/07/20/asia-pacific/top-gun-sequel-appears-remove-japanese-taiwanese-flags/#.XTR0vuhKiUl

How is this a surprise? The guys providing the money have ALWAYS called the shots in the movie industry. Nothing new here.
Of course. Me, I probably will pass on this. Not interested in chicom propaganda.

Eclipse

Seen on Jalopnik:

Okay, Why is Maverick Still in the Navy?
Because shut up, Kyle.

What's Up With The Helmet?
What's up with not shutting up, Kyle?

Mysteries
The biggest mystery is Kyle not shutting up.

And What's That Tomcat Doing There?
NONE OF YOUR [stupid] BUSINESS, KYLE. DON'T RUIN THIS FOR me US.

/plays "Danger Zone" on repeat

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

I get the feeling some of you guys as little kids would analyze and criticize the weapons Wiley Coyote would use in trying to get the Roadrunner.  As a kid, couldn't even just enjoy a cartoon. LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on July 21, 2019, 09:00:19 PM
I get the feeling some of you guys as little kids would analyze and criticize the weapons Wiley Coyote would use in trying to get the Roadrunner.  As a kid, couldn't even just enjoy a cartoon. LOL

Well, if Wiley would quit using that Acme Industries junk... >:D

[BTW etodd, I've always rooted for Wile E Coyote!]

Spam

Shuman 14

QuoteThat is why when in The Longest Day they show the Germans firing the M45 4 caliber 50 gun mount instead of the 20 mm Flakvierling, it kinda sets me off.

The Germans always made use of captured and obsolete weapons systems (mostly to arm auxiliary troops and satellite nations) and lots of it made it's way into the Atlantic Wall defenses. One of the most common ones was using Renault FT turrets as pillboxes in the AW with both Puteaux 37mm guns and Hotchkiss 8mm machinegun versions being used.

So it's "possible" that a captured American gun carrier from North Africa was put to use on the AW. (Come on man, go with it.  ;D )
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on July 22, 2019, 04:18:35 PM
QuoteThat is why when in The Longest Day they show the Germans firing the M45 4 caliber 50 gun mount instead of the 20 mm Flakvierling, it kinda sets me off.

The Germans always made use of captured and obsolete weapons systems (mostly to arm auxiliary troops and satellite nations) and lots of it made it's way into the Atlantic Wall defenses. One of the most common ones was using Renault FT turrets as pillboxes in the AW with both Puteaux 37mm guns and Hotchkiss 8mm machinegun versions being used.

So it's "possible" that a captured American gun carrier from North Africa was put to use on the AW. (Come on man, go with it.  ;D )

That's a pretty BIG stretch there boss. But thank you for playing! :clap:

Luis R. Ramos

The Germans had a big, big problem (read Allied navy and air force) resupplying Rommel, and then evacuating the Afrika Korps. Doubt very much anything captured in Africa ended in Normandy. Could have believed captured from Allie reused by Germany in Africa...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 23, 2019, 12:00:52 AM
The Germans had a big, big problem (read Allied navy and air force) resupplying Rommel, and then evacuating the Afrika Korps. Doubt very much anything captured in Africa ended in Normandy. Could have believed captured from Allie reused by Germany in Africa...

So what you're saying is that there is a chance...

Luis R. Ramos

No, what I am saying, is theres no chance in h**l.

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

etodd

So who is already planning a field trip for the Cadets to see it?  None of them will criticize it, they'll all soak it in and dream ....

And no, I don't mean an actual official field trip, lest this thread go way off track, with mentions of how one should properly plan it, execute it, and God forbid, what uniform should be worn. LOLOLOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on July 23, 2019, 07:23:16 PM
So who is already planning a field trip for the Cadets to see it?  None of them will criticize it, they'll all soak it in and dream ....

And no, I don't mean an actual official field trip, lest this thread go way off track, with mentions of how one should properly plan it, execute it, and God forbid, what uniform should be worn. LOLOLOL

The cadets will plan their own trips to see it, if they think it's worth watching. Which is fine with me.

OldGuy

I am not a big screen guy and am probably not going. That said, there is clearly a LOT of interest. Any chance of getting CAP PSAs into the theaters? How does that work? Who do we talk to (internally and externally)?

THRAWN

Quote from: OldGuy on July 23, 2019, 08:04:45 PM
I am not a big screen guy and am probably not going. That said, there is clearly a LOT of interest. Any chance of getting CAP PSAs into the theaters? How does that work? Who do we talk to (internally and externally)?

Did this with Scouts a few years back. We went through the local theater manager, had a bunch of poster that we put up around the building, on theater doors, etc., and had a table to hand out flyers.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

"So who is already planning a field trip for the Cadets to see it?"

They'll have it on their phones and stream it even before it hits the theaters...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

You are aware that Top Gun is about NAVY pilots?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

OldGuy

Quote from: NIN on July 23, 2019, 08:17:06 PM

Yes. They fly, we fly.

THRAWN

So? About half of the Cadets I knew once upon a time are wearing wings of gold today.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

OldGuy

Quote from: THRAWN on July 23, 2019, 08:22:38 PM

So? About half of the Cadets I knew once upon a time are wearing wings of gold today.
My wingmate from the 70s ended up as a USMC pilot with gold wings, inspired by the original as well as all we did in CAP. May he R.I.P. - he died over the South China Sea as a O-4 doing what he always wanted to do.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.