Youth sizing on Dress Blues

Started by SC-CAP-Mom, April 26, 2016, 08:43:23 PM

SC-CAP-Mom

Why are there no options for our youngest members to look sharp in the dress blues? I have a 13 yo young man that just moved into a size 14 youth. Pulling together a uniform that looks correct on him has been a huge frustration.
>:(
SM & mom of Cadet
Positions--DP and HSO

RogueLeader

Because the Air Force doesn't take members that small.  They only make uniforms in sizes that personnel need.  Even in CAP, a vast majority of members, to include cadets, just don't make it economical to create uniforms that small.  Have you tried getting them tailored?

I really do share in your frustration about the lack of super small uniform sizes, and I do want to commend you for wanting to present a professional appearances.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SC-CAP-Mom

Unfortunately, when the crotch of the smallest dress blue pants comes down to his knees, tailoring is not an option. I did however find--http://www.amazon.com/Van-Heusen-Boys-Blend-Regular/dp/B015HJ7R36?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 They match in color perfectly. The weight is slightly lighter but they are the same polywool blend.
SM & mom of Cadet
Positions--DP and HSO

Eclipse

Quote from: SC-CAP-Mom on April 26, 2016, 10:56:33 PMThey match in color perfectly. The weight is slightly lighter but they are the same polywool blend.

You've seen them in person? I wouldn't go by the photo for color matching.

"That Others May Zoom"

SC-CAP-Mom

SM & mom of Cadet
Positions--DP and HSO

SC-CAP-Mom

both of them. I brought some official and bought two pair of the ones from amazon for sizing purposes
SM & mom of Cadet
Positions--DP and HSO

PHall

And the designs are identical? As in pockets same design and same locations?
Because we are talking about a uniform here. And uniforms are supposed to be, you know, uniform!

NIN

At a certain point, we might be happy with "close enough."

I say this when we're seeing cadets wearing BDUs that are just this side of Halloween costumes (exposed buttons, not even "woodland," etc) and calling it good because otherwise the cadet is going to be wearing BDUs that are darn near a tripping hazard.

They're few and far between and if I was inspecting a cadet who was 4' 8" and wearing a pair of trousers that didn't exactly look 110% like the USAF-spec pants, well, I think I'd realize that sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.  Now, if he was wearing a pair of blue Dockers, no.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Hummingbird

Quote from: SC-CAP-Mom on April 26, 2016, 08:43:23 PM
Why are there no options for our youngest members to look sharp in the dress blues? I have a 13 yo young man that just moved into a size 14 youth. Pulling together a uniform that looks correct on him has been a huge frustration.
>:(

I've had some problems with my blues uniform, but as long as you get the waist and crotch right you should be good. The length of the pants can be adjusted with scissors.

Actually, a tailor might even be able to tighten up the waist, but I highly doubt that.
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
Tactical Chef Boyardee guy
NER-NY-390

Luis R. Ramos

A good tailor will. not any tailor will be able to. That is, there are tailors that you have to take the clothes which will not ask you to step into a booth. I find most these are in laundries. These are not the ones you want to take a too big trousers to.

Others will have you try the clothes, then take a piece of chalk and mark the changes. These are those with a big store, just creating dresses, pants, suits. These tailors will take pants apart, separate them inside, and take in / shorten pants, suits, etc...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

stillamarine

If you have a law enforcement supply store in your area try them. The one I use for work will do all my CAP stuff no charge. He also altered my Dress Blues for my wedding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

I saw a cadet out of the corner of my eye this weekend who was wearing a pair of pleated dress pants which were clearly
not uniform, but looked fine from 50k feet.  As long as it's made clear what the issue is, and that it's not a "lifetime pass",
moving on.

I also saw a couple of VERY small cadets who, absent their membership info, would have a hard time passing for 12, and they
were able to get uniform pants that fit fine, probably with the help of a tailor, so it's really not a problem, per se.

"That Others May Zoom"