You're only as sharp as your creases

Started by Stonewall, March 17, 2013, 05:58:40 PM

Stonewall

Your Are Only As Sharp As Your Creases

Another outstanding article on CadetStuff, just published today.  Excellent read, and I recommend it be shared with cadets nationwide.

Great job, James!
Serving since 1987.

ProdigalJim

Well-written, well-argued and well-said. Darned Academy guys...  :P

I think I'm going to steal it for a Level I class I'm about to teach. Yes, Level I. We've decided locally that the online-only, with a once-over-lightly at the squadron level, isn't accomplishing the goals of indoctrination and acculturation we need to foster professionalism early on.

I believe Goobers are made from poorly trained SMWOGs...

I can see how seniors (adults) could selectively quote from James' piece to argue *against* the uniform discipline we're trying to create. Anyone have any thoughts on how to counter that early?

We're not uniform Nazis either. But as has been discussed ad nauseum on this board in umpty-zillion threads, you should respect the uniform you wear -- whichever one it is. Even if it's the grays and polos, ferpetesake have clean, pressed pants and a shirt that doesn't look as if it came from underneath the front seat of your Buick before you walked in the door.

I anticipate seniors reading James' piece and saying, "Hey, we're not cadets, so the idea of a uniform as a teaching tool does not apply to us." I plan to counter with the idea of projecting a professional image, looking like grownups next to our counterparts at a response (FEMA, AF, or whatever else), not offending our Benevolent Overseers at Ma Blue, and being a good example to the cadets in our charge.

Additional thoughts?
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Stonewall

Quote from: ProdigalJim on March 17, 2013, 10:43:42 PMI anticipate seniors reading James' piece and saying, "Hey, we're not cadets, so the idea of a uniform as a teaching tool does not apply to us." I plan to counter with the idea of projecting a professional image, looking like grownups next to our counterparts at a response (FEMA, AF, or whatever else), not offending our Benevolent Overseers at Ma Blue, and being a good example to the cadets in our charge.

Additional thoughts?

I often brag about DC-045 and how we had opening and closing formations each week that included the senior members.  Often, we'd have 12 to 15 seniors standing in formation with the deputy commander for seniors standing in front giving us commands.  We had a pretty tight/strict schedule that clearly stated the uniform of the day where it said "seniors included".

At the time when the squadron commander took over and I became DCC, this is when the change was made that put seniors in uniforms.  It hadn't always been like that.  So at first, we had seniors in formation, but most wore the blue polo shirts.  But when the squadron commander started putting the seniors wearing blues or BDUs up front, others sort of caught the bug.  I'll never forget the night we looked around and saw 12 senior members in BDUs, standing in formation as we we were called to attention.  Next to us, A-flight of the cadets with about 30 sharp looking cadets and next to them, 10 cadets in T-Flight, wearing black t-shirts and blue jeans.

So I guess the suggestion I am offering, is make it the standard with the understanding that a) you won't get kicked out for NOT wearing the uniform of the day, but b) we are going to really encourage you to not only wear the uniform of the day, but expect you wear it correctly.  Perhaps if you had them included in the opening formation, it may put some pressure on them to find a uniform.  And for uniformity purposes, reward those who choose to wear a uniform in the front of the formation.

It wasn't my plan, it was that of the commander, and it worked.
Serving since 1987.

GroundHawg

This is the most well written article ever posted on any message board. It should be mandatory reading for all new members and re-read at least quarterly by all members of any organization that wears a uniform.

Outstanding.

Pylon

This should at least be required reading before being allowed to post in the "Uniforms & Awards" section  8)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: Pylon on March 18, 2013, 04:11:56 AM
This should at least be required reading before being allowed to post in the "Uniforms & Awards" section  8)

LOL!!!!  But you're right, it should!

I posted the link to this article on my squadron's FB page with a small note basically saying "a must read...the author is a personal friend".  But I'm curious if anyone will not only read it, but heed it.  Thinking back to my daze as a cadet, I would have read anything that had to do with CAP.  And an article like this, I would have read 100x and probably had it taken from me twice in school.

I also sent it out via email and copied the other senior members who work with cadets.  The cadet commander is using this as a tool to help prepare for a uniform presentation she's giving in a few weeks to lay out her expectations to the cadets due to a recent issue with uniforms.  I hope the point gets across.
Serving since 1987.

Spartan

Accurate, well argued and relevant.  I agree with the article for the most part and agree that it should be reccomended reading as part of professional development curriculum for senior members and as part of a staff development for cadet leadership. 

In the grand scheme of things, if I cannot trust a ground team leader or a cadet to handle the small things like proper wear of the uniform, it shakes my confidence in giving them a more critical task like taking a ground team out or providing training to new members of a ground team?

Quote from: ProdigalJim on March 17, 2013, 10:43:42 PM
I anticipate seniors reading James' piece and saying, "Hey, we're not cadets, so the idea of a uniform as a teaching tool does not apply to us."

I've been a cadet, and a senior member in CAP as well as a soldier, and a Non-Comissioned Officer in the Army.  In all of these roles, the idea of leadership by example has been very relevant.  As leaders, mentors and administrators that have the potential of influence, we owe it to those we lead to be the standard.  Why should those who follow us meet the expected standard that we do not meet ourselves?  As leaders, our uniforms and our behavior serve as a teaching tool for not just us, but those who see us.

BHartman007

I was actually looking forward to wearing a nice sharp uniform, but when I started going to meetings I saw that all the seniors either wear the blue polo, or whatever they were wearing when they got off of work. I guess I could be the odd man out and try to encourage change by example, but I'm worried about looking like the goober FNG not fitting in.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

Майор Хаткевич

Trust me, that is not the look you want to fit in with.

Stonewall

Quote from: BHartman007 on March 18, 2013, 09:34:24 PM
I was actually looking forward to wearing a nice sharp uniform, but when I started going to meetings I saw that all the seniors either wear the blue polo, or whatever they were wearing when they got off of work. I guess I could be the odd man out and try to encourage change by example, but I'm worried about looking like the goober FNG not fitting in.

I've been in CAP for a long time, but a little over a year ago I showed up for the first time in about a year due to a deployment.  The squadron commander was away and the Deputy Commander for Seniors was running the show.  Great guy, a retired Navy O-5, but it was not the norm for seniors to wear military style uniforms.  On the cadet side, the DCC and others supporting the cadets, wore polos as well. 

As a courtesy, I emailed the DCS to let him know that I'd be showing up and there to help with cadets, but I wasn't currently assigned a position, so just use me if necessary, or I'll gladly sit back and be a spectator.  No biggie either way.  I showed up in long-sleeve blues (no ribbons) and introduced myself.  I hadn't met this guy before, but as I shook his hand he said "you know, seniors don't have to wear that uniform".  I sort of chuckled and replied with, "yeah, but I'm working wtih cadets".  Not the first time I've gotten weird looks or heard a statement like that, but I don't let it stop me. 

Many retired military types don't want to wear the military uniform because they're retired and got enough of the ironing, sewing, shaving, and haircuts.  I completely understand!  Heck, sometimes I want to grow a goatee and let my hair grow long.  I can for about 3 weeks until it's time for drill again.   ;)

Point is, I think it is important for cadet programs officers to wear military style uniforms if they meet the requirements.  It isn't damaging cadets' experiences if you don't, but I think it does help. 

So, if you want to wear a uniform, wear it.  I encourage you to do so.  Don't worry about feeling like the odd guy out, because you are, so just get used to it.  Don't be afraid, nervous, or ashamed to wear it.  In fact, I feel quite the opposite if I DON'T wear it.  I've worn the blue polo exactly twice in my CAP career.  And I remember about 10 years ago when I grew a goatee and wore the whites & grays.  People were blown away.  I wore it exactly once.  Big waste of money on my end.

I always like to refer to this picture of my old squadron (yeah, I know, it's B&W):

8 Seniors standing there, all in BDUs.  That was about half of the active seniors we had in the squadron at the time, not sure where the rest were.  But we often stood 20 strong, all in military style CAP uniforms.

If you make people believe it's the right thing to do and there are no other options, they'll do it.  And once they do it, they realize it is the right thing to do. 
Serving since 1987.

bflynn

Quote from: Spartan on March 18, 2013, 08:40:16 PMIn the grand scheme of things, if I cannot trust a ground team leader or a cadet to handle the small things like proper wear of the uniform, it shakes my confidence in giving them a more critical task like taking a ground team out or providing training to new members of a ground team?

I think the concern I see here is the definition of the word "proper".  Does proper mean you've put the right components together with the required insignia?  Are creases required?  Sharp creases?  Military creases?  Blackened shoes?  Shined shoes?  Highly shined shoes?  Coraframs?  The proper crease in your headgear?  Metal insignia?  Polished metal?  Chrome? 

I think a lot of the problems come when "extras" start becoming viewed as mandatory and the next thing you know, you're in the uniform circus.  I'm not impressed by the extras, I wonder at what else the person could have accomplished if they hadn't wasted the time and money on going beyond the standard.

Uniform standards are easy, they're all written down.  You do them and there's nothing gained going beyond that.

And I happen to like the white and grey - it's an easy uniform to wear and looks better than polos. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: Spartan on March 18, 2013, 08:40:16 PM

In the grand scheme of things, if I cannot trust a ground team leader or a cadet to handle the small things like proper wear of the uniform, it shakes my confidence in giving them a more critical task like taking a ground team out or providing training to new members of a ground team?

Roger that and to make my point, when I was a MSO I checked on two ground teams. The sloppy uniform wearing ones did not have water in 101 degree weather. The GT with the proper uniforms had water for 72 hours.

NOT JUDGING, just saying   ;)

Spartan

Quote from: bflynn on March 19, 2013, 05:49:39 PM
Quote from: Spartan on March 18, 2013, 08:40:16 PMIn the grand scheme of things, if I cannot trust a ground team leader or a cadet to handle the small things like proper wear of the uniform, it shakes my confidence in giving them a more critical task like taking a ground team out or providing training to new members of a ground team?

I think the concern I see here is the definition of the word "proper".  Does proper mean you've put the right components together with the required insignia?  Are creases required?  Sharp creases?  Military creases?  Blackened shoes?  Shined shoes?  Highly shined shoes?  Coraframs?  The proper crease in your headgear?  Metal insignia?  Polished metal?  Chrome? 

I think a lot of the problems come when "extras" start becoming viewed as mandatory and the next thing you know, you're in the uniform circus.  I'm not impressed by the extras, I wonder at what else the person could have accomplished if they hadn't wasted the time and money on going beyond the standard.

Uniform standards are easy, they're all written down.  You do them and there's nothing gained going beyond that.

And I happen to like the white and grey - it's an easy uniform to wear and looks better than polos.

Proper uniform wear is established in CAPM 39-1, its supplements and ICL's.  Should it be an issue that is not covered by CAP publications, there is an AFI that covers uniforms thoroughly.  If a person cannot handle an attention to detail task like having the minimum required items for a uniform, measuring their insignia, or maintaining the cleanliness and proper assembly of their uniform (insignia in the prescribed place, boots free of dirt, blackened and brushed, uniform free of dirt and not looking like they saved the day by jumping on a wrinkle bomb) that tells me a lot about them and their unit.  The biggest message it communicates to me as a leader is that they either don't know where to find the standard or don't care about the standard.  Both of which are a learning opportunity.

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 20, 2013, 07:00:17 AM
...when I was a MSO I checked on two ground teams. The sloppy uniform wearing ones did not have water in 101 degree weather. The GT with the proper uniforms had water for 72 hours.

This is a real world example of what I am trying to convey.  More often than not, the individuals who pay attention to detail on the little things will do so on the bigger things. 

The extras are just that, extras.  If the individual wants to go beyond the standard, good for them.  If they don't, but they meet the standard then I have no problem with that because they are meeting the standard.  On a scored uniform inspection, I will let them know that they are getting a satisfactory for meeting the standard. 

Each uniform has its purpose.  I like the appearance of the white and grey over the polo shirt.  It has a more professional, less casual appearance.

Yes, creases are required on specific uniforms.  They are not required on BDU's.  The problem as stated is that the extras have become expected rather than pleasant additions.  The expectation becomes part of the culture and people tend to go off of culture rather than established and published standards.  Many times the culture deviates from the standard.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Spartan on March 20, 2013, 09:24:24 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on March 20, 2013, 07:00:17 AM
...when I was a MSO I checked on two ground teams. The sloppy uniform wearing ones did not have water in 101 degree weather. The GT with the proper uniforms had water for 72 hours.

This is a real world example of what I am trying to convey.  More often than not, the individuals who pay attention to detail on the little things will do so on the bigger things. 

The extras are just that, extras.  If the individual wants to go beyond the standard, good for them.  If they don't, but they meet the standard then I have no problem with that because they are meeting the standard.  On a scored uniform inspection, I will let them know that they are getting a satisfactory for meeting the standard. 

Each uniform has its purpose.  I like the appearance of the white and grey over the polo shirt.  It has a more professional, less casual appearance.

Yes, creases are required on specific uniforms.  They are not required on BDU's.  The problem as stated is that the extras have become expected rather than pleasant additions.  The expectation becomes part of the culture and people tend to go off of culture rather than established and published standards.  Many times the culture deviates from the standard.

Roger that   :clap: