You thought getting promoted in CAP cost a bundle at Vanguard?

Started by NIN, January 18, 2013, 05:46:53 AM

NIN

These dudes, man.... They're into Vanguard for some LARGE...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

a2capt

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

There are a lot of WW2 Soviet vets who look similar. That's what happens when every 5 years there's a commemorative medal for WW2.

ColonelJack

Are those North Korean guys actually wearing medals ... ON THEIR PANTS???

OMG.

:o

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

wuzafuzz

Teenage girls would probably say those dudes are "bedazzled."

Personally I'm imagining Glen Campbell singing "Like a Rhinestone General..."
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 18, 2013, 12:02:08 PM
Are those North Korean guys actually wearing medals ... ON THEIR PANTS???

OMG.

:o

Jack
I've seen a jrotc dictators with medals on their plants
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

spacecommand

They difference is they (the individual) probably didn't have to actually buy their medals. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: usafaux2004 on January 18, 2013, 06:12:48 AM
There are a lot of WW2 Soviet vets who look similar. That's what happens when every 5 years there's a commemorative medal for WW2.

Eventually, though, just as here, the UK/Commonwealth, etc., there won't be any more of those who fought in the rubble of Stalingrad...fewer and fewer every year.

I do like the shade of blue in this старый русский воин uniform, though.

But those North Koreans?  Five'll get ya ten that each one of those gongs was awarded for writing yet another platitude on how great whatever Kim was running the Democratic (cough) People's (yak) Republic (ha-ha) of Korea at the time was. >:D

Fruit salad up the wazoo seemed to be the order of the day for those Commies, as evidenced by this East German general's uniform:

This blouse only has a pocket on one side so as to accommodate all the Orders of Lenin, Stalin, Marx, Honecker, Khrushchev and Smirnoff on the other side...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Bobble

The OP's picture has been photoshopped.  Do a little web-searching and you'll find the original pic.  Yeah, they're still wearing a lot of medals in the untouched version, but that isn't all that unusual in regimes that struggle to maintain legitimacy.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Luis R. Ramos

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/587431/587431,1289409102,2/stock-photo-riga-latvia-may-russian-veteran-of-world-war-ii-on-the-parade-may-in-riga-latvia-64806844.jpg

[Darn, tried to copy the photo here but was not successful, it was the photo of the officer]

For some reason this Soviet general officer reminds me of Leslie Nielsen, of one of those movies in which he impersonates a police detective and he is in one of his covers... Was that Police Story?

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: flyer333555 on January 18, 2013, 01:51:10 PM
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/587431/587431,1289409102,2/stock-photo-riga-latvia-may-russian-veteran-of-world-war-ii-on-the-parade-may-in-riga-latvia-64806844.jpg

For some reason this Soviet general officer reminds me of Leslie Nielsen, of one of those movies in which he impersonates a police detective and he is in one of his covers... Was that Police story?

Flyer

The Naked Gun and Police Squad.

He played Lt. Frank Drebin, alongside a very fetching Priscilla Presley.

Those movies were hilarious.

Leslie himself was an Air Gunner in the RCAF during WWII.  His brother, Erik, was Deputy Prime Minister of Canada.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Devil Doc

I wonder if a Person in the US Military has ever had that many Ribbons/Medals and acctually worn all of them? Were would they go, cant you only go so far up left side?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Cool Mace

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 18, 2013, 02:37:04 PM
I wonder if a Person in the US Military has ever had that many Ribbons/Medals and acctually worn all of them? Were would they go, cant you only go so far up left side?

That's how it's supposed to be. But I'll let you tell an E-9 or a Gen that they are out of regs by wearing all of their medals.  ;)
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Devil Doc

Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

MSG Mac

The Russians and several other nations of that genre wear a lot of ribbons and medals because they don't use clusters or stars to designate multiple awards of the same decoration or medal.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NIN

Quote from: Bobble on January 18, 2013, 01:50:44 PM
The OP's picture has been photoshopped.  Do a little web-searching and you'll find the original pic.  Yeah, they're still wearing a lot of medals in the untouched version, but that isn't all that unusual in regimes that struggle to maintain legitimacy.

On a much closer look, you are totally right. I got a little rooked.

I've never seen an KPA officer with that much bling, let alone several. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 18, 2013, 02:50:15 PM
The Russians and several other nations of that genre wear a lot of ribbons and medals because they don't use clusters or stars to designate multiple awards of the same decoration or medal.

That is certainly a part of it, but again, in terms of the WW2 vets, there are commemorative medals every 5 years, and as we are now 70 years out from the war...that's a lot of bling to add. On top of that, in Soviet culture there were all sort of pins and badges and medals one could earn as a worker, so that also went up on the uniforms...

johnnyb47

Still not bad though. I count at least 37 pieces of flair.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on January 18, 2013, 01:53:43 PM
Leslie himself was an Air Gunner in the RCAF during WWII.  His brother, Erik, was Deputy Prime Minister of Canada.
The press referred to Erik as "Old Velcro Lips" because he never leaked anything...