Main Menu

WTB a Blazer?

Started by NIN, March 13, 2011, 08:09:06 PM

NIN

So, I have a need to visit a CAP activity in my "retiree" capacity this week. (I'm not even 45, kills me that I can say I "retired.")

But, retirees don't wear anything but the "blazer combo."

I have, somehow, either misplaced or given away my blazer.  I think, but I'm not sure, that I donated it to my old squadron. Either way, I'm am definitely "sans blazer" here at the house.

A friend can loan me his blazer crest, and I have my blazer name tag, grey slacks, regimental tie, etc.

But I'll be darned if I have _no_ idea where to obtain a blue blazer from. Or, perhaps more precisely, where to get a blue blazer thats not going set me back $200.

I'm going to check out the local Goodwill, but anybody have any luck with inexpensive blue blazers at national chains like JC Penny or something?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RVT

Quote from: NIN on March 13, 2011, 08:09:06 PM
But I'll be darned if I have _no_ idea where to obtain a blue blazer from. Or, perhaps more precisely, where to get a blue blazer thats not going set me back $200.
I'm going to check out the local Goodwill, but anybody have any luck with inexpensive blue blazers at national chains like JC Penny or something?

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-925/Professional-Blazer--dsh--Navy/Detail

Can't beat that.  Also you can get the white shirt & grey pants and the entire outfit is about $50

NIN

Quote from: RVT on March 13, 2011, 08:11:12 PM
Quote from: NIN on March 13, 2011, 08:09:06 PM

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/prostores/servlet/-strse-925/Professional-Blazer--dsh--Navy/Detail

Can't beat that.  Also you can get the white shirt & grey pants and the entire outfit is about $50

No, you're right. Except I need this by Thursday. Something tells me that by the time I get done with "Express" shipping from across the country, that blazer ain't gonna be so cheap.

But still, thats a pretty *excellent* deal.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

indygreg

NIN

Quote from: indygreg on March 13, 2011, 08:38:29 PM
Goodwill?

Gonna check there on Monday.  Also looking at Sears, etc.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Persona non grata

Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

BillB

Didn't the National Board under Pineda remove the right for retirees to wear ANY CAP uniform?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

CAP Producer

Quote from: BillB on March 13, 2011, 08:43:11 PM
Didn't the National Board under Pineda remove the right for retirees to wear ANY CAP uniform?

No Mr. Breeze.

Here is the relevant quote from CAPR 39-2

3-1. General.

c. Retired Member.

Once retired, members will not actively participate. Retired individuals may attend wing or region conferences and National Board meetings when the general membership is allowed to attend, i.e., the summer National Board meeting, or when invited by the host commander. Attendance at other meetings, conferences, training sessions, or non-social activities conducted by CAP is not allowed unless the retiree is invited by the wing or region commander of the unit hosting the event. Attendance at social functions is authorized, but requires a formal or specific invitation and prior approval of the commander hosting the event.

Retired individuals will wear the current CAP blazer uniform (with the last grade earned as an active member) or appropriate civilian attire when attending social functions as a guest. Retired individuals will not be listed on Military Support Authorizations. Retired members may reapply for active membership with the approval of the National Commander. While retired, any individual who brings discredit to CAP may be barred from any event by the National Commander.

AL PABON, Major, CAP

Persona non grata

If you have been 2'b you are prohibited from wearing the uniform?
Is the last sentence trying to convey this in a nice way?

Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

NIN

Quote from: BillB on March 13, 2011, 08:43:11 PM

If they did, it wasn't published in any of the 3-4 ICL's issued since the manual last changed.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

RVT

Quote from: NIN on March 13, 2011, 08:41:32 PMGoodwill?
Gonna check there on Monday.  Also looking at Sears, etc.[/quote]

Thats not going to get you the crest or the nameplate though.  You keep those?

NIN

Quote from: RVT on March 13, 2011, 09:10:28 PM
Thats not going to get you the crest or the nameplate though.  You keep those?

As I said in my original post, I hung on to my nametag, tie, slacks, etc. I have access to a crest, so that's not so pressing. Its the @#$% blue blazer thats difficult! :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SarDragon

Mine is a Haggar that I got several years ago, at my local MCX/NEX. Check your local retailers (Sears, Penneys, etc.) to see what they might have in that brand. Price was better than I expected - $40 or so?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

I guess I don't understand, how does one "retire" from CAP being that CAP is volunteer?

NIN

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on March 13, 2011, 11:12:31 PM
I guess I don't understand, how does one "retire" from CAP being that CAP is volunteer?

See CAPR 39-2, para 3-1c.

"Retirement" in the CAP context means you did at least 20 years as a senior, so you get a nice certificate, letter & ID card, and if, sometime down the road, my son decides he wants to try CAP instead of scouts, I can come back in without losing my time in service, time in grade, etc.

Retirement doesn't necessarily imply you were "paid." I will agree: it sounds a little goofy, but there it is.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SARDOC

Quote from: eaker.cadet on March 13, 2011, 09:04:09 PM
If you have been 2'b you are prohibited from wearing the uniform?
Is the last sentence trying to convey this in a nice way?

If you have been 2B'd...you are NOT "retired" even if you have more than 20 years.  Anybody that has been 2b'd is not allowed to wear any uniform under any circumstances.

CAPOfficer

You might check out the Salvation Army if there is one near you, their store is similar to the Goodwill.

NIN

Quote from: CAPOfficer on March 14, 2011, 03:43:31 PM
You might check out the Salvation Army if there is one near you, their store is similar to the Goodwill.

Yeah, we have one near here, but compared to our Goodwill, its actually like going to a garage sale. :(

I'm on this like a monkey on a cupcake, lads. Thanks for the input.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Two Goodwills, a Salvation Army, and Marshalls ... no joy. Hit the Bon-Ton in the mall and got a real nice blazer for $79.

While thats more than i would spend for a CAP-only blazer, it will get worn for other purposes.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

RVT

a2capt

The premise that monkeys will go nuts at the sight of a cupcake and thus.. be the first on it, be all over it, etc.

SarDragon

I prefer "like white on rice" myself.

Good news on the blazer, Nin. That was a decent price. What brand?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

starshippe

. . my wife brought home a brand new looking blazer from good will for me this afternoon, as, for some reason, the old blazer seems to fit tighter than it used to. i just don't understand how fabric can shrink like that.
. . in any event i wanted to pass along the price she paid. they were having a sale on all things blue. she paid one dollar.
. . i hope u all are as happy with ur (wife's) blazer purchases as i am.

bill

NIN

Quote from: starshippe on March 15, 2011, 10:58:45 PM

. . my wife brought home a brand new looking blazer from good will for me this afternoon, as, for some reason, the old blazer seems to fit tighter than it used to. i just don't understand how fabric can shrink like that.
. . in any event i wanted to pass along the price she paid. they were having a sale on all things blue. she paid one dollar.
. . i hope u all are as happy with ur (wife's) blazer purchases as i am.

Gotta love Goodwill.  Wish the two I went to had _any_ blazers...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

a2capt

The Goodwill stores around here think they are a department store selling new stuff. The price tags are all $_.99, they just fill in a whole number.  For an operation that pretty much has a zero cost of goods, it's really lame.