What happened to:H.R.1333 : To amend the Homeland Security Act of 2002

Started by wingnut, April 23, 2008, 01:29:11 PM

wingnut

Stuck in committee for a YEAR?? ??? ??? ??? :-\

anything else cooking out there?

JC004

It was sent to committee to die, and it worked.  Committee is where bills go to die.

O-Rex

Quote from: JC004 on April 23, 2008, 01:48:18 PM
It was sent to committee to die, and it worked.  Committee is where bills go to die.

reminds me of 'I'm just a bill' from Schoolhouse Rock:

"It's a long, long, long wait, while I'm sitting in committee. . . ."

remember that one??  ;D

davedove

Quote from: O-Rex on April 24, 2008, 05:57:47 PM

remember that one??  ;D

I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill,
and I'm sittin' here on Capitol Hill.......
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

O-Rex

Quote from: davedove on April 24, 2008, 05:59:22 PM
Quote from: O-Rex on April 24, 2008, 05:57:47 PM

remember that one??  ;D

I'm just a bill, yes I'm only a bill,
and I'm sittin' here on Capitol Hill.......

I just bought the DVD w/all the videos & songs for myself my 8 year-old

Back to the subject, linky will explain what it is:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h110-1333

wingnut

Gee Guys thanks for the Government Lesson,

but with all of the National HQ people and the Capital squadron, what is the real news, in some cases i feel like the real news is being passed on this blog, the rest we are spoon fed PAO stuff.

RiverAux

The vast majority of bills filed in Congress (or any Legislature) do not become law.  Unless you happen to have a congressman who takes a real special interest in it, no bill is likely to go anywhere besides committee.

JC004

Like with the public safety officers benefit act amendment, I imagine that is the real story.  I has been over a year and it looks like it even has less co-sponsors than the PSOBA amendment.

JohnKachenmeister

So... Committee is to bills what Florida is to old people?
Another former CAP officer

JC004

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 25, 2008, 07:23:44 PM

Exactly. 

Leave it to Kach to explain things.   >:D

SAR-EMT1

But he LIVES in Florida...

Then again, so does he who wont be named
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Cecil DP

Quote from: RiverAux on April 25, 2008, 12:06:36 PM
The vast majority of bills filed in Congress (or any Legislature) do not become law.  Unless you happen to have a congressman who takes a real special interest in it, no bill is likely to go anywhere besides committee.

All bills go through the committee process. After everyone has had their say and a hearing has been held it may be voted on by the committee, and then sent to the full house or senate. Then it goes before a joint committee that irons out the differences between the house and senate versions. Then its reintroduced and voted on again to finally become law.
BTW if the Air Force doesn't support the CAP part of the bill, it won't happen They have lobbyists too aka AF Legislative Liason Officer and the AFA.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

Never said that they didn't.  Just stated the fact that most go no farther than the committee.

wingnut

Gunner C

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 25, 2008, 07:23:44 PM

OUCH!

Gunner C
Former Old Guy

RiverAux

It now looks like the bill has been passed out of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee (the other committee the bill had been sent to) on May 15th. 

Still no confirmation anywhere that I can find that it has been changed from a "you will make an agreement" to a "lets do a report about it" bill. 

Ranger75

The below traffic was received yesterday afternoon:

Subject:  Special Congressional Hearing Request    '

Everyone -- On May 20 an amended version of HR 1333--The Civil Air Patrol Homeland Security Support Act of 2007--will be marked up in the House Homeland Security Committee. This new version is expected to be an important bill relative to the future of the Civil Air Patrol. Congressman Dent's office has asked for Civil Air Patrol members to attend the markup in order to clearly show the Committee members that CAP supports the new bill. The markup, which is open to the public, is scheduled to be held in Cannon Room 311 but the time has not yet been determined.

General Courter would like as many uniformed CAP members (in proper Class A uniform or appropriate corporate uniform) as possible to attend. Please let me know as soon as you can how many members you think may be able to attend from your wing or unit. Also be aware that we will not have a final confirmation of the markup time until two or three work days before the hearing. I will get that information out as soon as we have it.

I've included the details from Congressman Dent's request below. If you have any questions please give me a call at (334) 354-0825 or you can email me at dcoffice@cap.gov.

Many of you (and your fellow wing members) were present for the original hearing for HR 1333. It made a big difference then. Your help can also make a big difference now if it is possible for you or any members under your command to attend. Thank you for both your help on this matter and everything you do for Civil Air Patrol.

Regards,

John Swain, Colonel, CAP
Government Relations Advisor
Civil Air Patrol

Date: 2008/05/12 Mon AM 09:24:27 CDT

I just wanted to give you an update on our Civil Air Patrol, HR 1333. As you may know, our bill was amended during the Emergency Communications Subcommittee (of the Homeland Security Committee) markup on April 30. The bill now calls for the implementation of a GAO report that will study the ways the CAP can be useful to the homeland security mission. This is, I think, an important step forward. If the GAO can help to define how the CAP can best augment the efforts of the Department of Homeland Security, this will be a further justification for increasing the Cap's role in the homeland security mission.

On May 15, the bill will be marked up in the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, where we have been dealing with staffers who have indicated to us that the bill looks as if it will pass. Subsequent to the deliberations in the Transportation and Infrastructure  Committee, our bill will next move to the full Homeland Security Committee on May 20. This is a very important day for this legislation. The Chairman of the Committee, Bennie Thompson, is not a co-sponsor of the bill. It is my understanding, however, that he may be receptive to the bill on May 20, but I believe it would be a good idea to show the Chairman just how much the CAP would like this legislation to pass.

In that regard, I think it would be helpful if the CAP could have as many individuals present at the markup on May 20 as possible, and thus I am asking if it would be possible for you to pass the word among the membership to come to DC to attend the hearing (in uniform). We do not have a time for the hearing yet, but it will be held in Room 311 of the Cannon Building (the Homeland Security Committee meeting room). I will forward more details regarding the time of that hearing when those details become available.

Gunner C

^ Quote snipped - MIKE

"Class A" Uniform - we'll never get away from that - no wonder.   ::)

I'm assuming that they're asking for service dress.  Alright you guys, no polo shirts or mess dress.  ;D