Members names to be sent to the moon

Started by Eclipse, March 03, 2021, 01:24:19 AM

Eclipse

https://www.cap.news/next-stop-the-moon-for-27000-cap-names/

"A microchip carrying more than 27,000 Civil Air Patrol names with related messages and images is set to be carried to the moon later this year aboard space robotics company Astrobotic's Peregrine lunar lander."

Um...List?

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Why? So people can boast and say "My name is on a chip somewhere on the moon."

Does anyone think 1000 years from now someone will open that box and be able to read the card. And if so, will they give a flying flip about Capt John Doe?  LOL
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

TheSkyHornet

In other news, I received an email from AFA StellarXplorers asking to turn in a media release so that our team's names could be added to Perseverance before they sent it to Mars.

Cadets and parents thought it was pretty cool, no matter how insignificant it actually may be. It's a cute gesture to have some fun and feel as part of something bigger.

Spam

Gestures and small things like this can have an outsized impact. Local members were jazzed ten years ago to have their unit patch flown to the station (by a former Atlanta CAP cadet of my generation, who sent back pics of it floating in the cupola, against the background of the earth). From those small seeds great things may grow.

For those of us keeping score, my generation of cadets from Georgia alone includes multiple people who grew up and went into the aerospace field, either as pilots/astronauts, as engineers, as astronaut trainers (my cadet flight commander, who still does so in Houston), and so forth. We grew from being fanboys to being on the team.

So, cadets of this generation... if you want to work in aerospace, let this be your starting point. Wherever you are starting from, whatever your background, don't be content; get off your butts and work and study hard, apply for scholarships and aim for challenging education and training programs to be a tech, to be a pilot, to be an engineer. Don't be content to just have your name in a file on a chip somewhere... WORK, to get your name on the flight crew manifests and the spacecraft design documents and scribbled on the white walls of the launch site payload and crew change rooms.

Make history, don't read about it.

R/s
Spam

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 03, 2021, 02:21:31 PMIn other news, I received an email from AFA StellarXplorers asking to turn in a media release so that our team's names could be added to Perseverance before they sent it to Mars.

Cadets and parents thought it was pretty cool, no matter how insignificant it actually may be. It's a cute gesture to have some fun and feel as part of something bigger.

Agreed - it would just be nice to know the way names were chosen, and then publish them.

Based on this, presumably those that are on it, know they are on it.  I guess those that aren't can just stay here on earth and look up.

"That Others May Zoom"

baronet68

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 03, 2021, 02:21:31 PMIn other news, I received an email from AFA StellarXplorers asking to turn in a media release so that our team's names could be added to Perseverance before they sent it to Mars.

My local unit submitted members' names to be included on NASA's 2026 Mars mission.  They printed out the boarding passes and delivered them to every cadet's home just prior to Christmas.  They were hand-delivered by the squadron commander in a care package that included a seasonal thank you letter, squadron mask, holiday ornament, and any awards or certificates that were earned but not able to be presented at regular meetings during 2020.

Since then, in the background during weekly Zoom meetings, I've seen a few cadets who have actually framed their Mars boarding passes and hung them on the wall.  Even if it's in an infinitesimally small way...  it's fun to be part of something bigger.

MarsBoardingPass.pdf
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Fubar

According to PROPs, anyone who didn't restrict CAP from sharing your info with third-parties had their name provided to the Astrobotic folks.

https://www.cap.news/cap-goes-to-the-moon-opportunity-offered/

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: baronet68 on March 03, 2021, 08:00:46 PM

My local unit submitted members' names to be included on NASA's 2026 Mars mission.  They printed out the boarding passes and delivered them to every cadet's home just prior to Christmas.  They were hand-delivered by the squadron commander in a care package that included a seasonal thank you letter, squadron mask, holiday ornament, and any awards or certificates that were earned but not able to be presented at regular meetings during 2020.

Since then, in the background during weekly Zoom meetings, I've seen a few cadets who have actually framed their Mars boarding passes and hung them on the wall.  Even if it's in an infinitesimally small way...  it's fun to be part of something bigger.

MarsBoardingPass.pdf

I'm legitimately stealing this.

Thanks for sharing!

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on March 03, 2021, 08:02:54 PMAccording to PROPs, anyone who didn't restrict CAP from sharing your info with third-parties had their name provided to the Astrobotic folks.

https://www.cap.news/cap-goes-to-the-moon-opportunity-offered/

Looking back at my RSS, I remember seeing that go by thinking it was more of the "walk to the moon stuff",
so it's on me for not reading it.

I'd be willing to bet, though, that the majority of the membership were unaware of this, which sounds like the kind of thing that should have at least been a topic brought forward by the AEOs and perhaps with more then 2 weeks notice to
make the change.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

@baronet68
@TheSkyHornet

What level of permission would be needed for a SM to submit cadet's names for such a purpose?
Love this idea, and with Christmas coming soon, seems like a great time to prep it and accomplish! Just want to make sure I'm not running afoul of anything in the process. Found the site, and figured I could buy a pack of premium envelopes and type up a welcome letter or something fun to go with based on what is on that site (from the "airline")

TheSkyHornet

I never submit anything on a cadet's behalf (or senior's for that matter).

I provide a sign-up form/link and have them fill it out. If I have to provide a roster myself for the entire group, I still have them all fill it out first. Part of that is to learn a sense of responsibility that, if you want your name on the thing, you have to provide the input.

baronet68

Quote from: DakRadz on November 04, 2022, 02:48:11 PM@baronet68
@TheSkyHornet

What level of permission would be needed for a SM to submit cadet's names for such a purpose?
Love this idea, and with Christmas coming soon, seems like a great time to prep it and accomplish! Just want to make sure I'm not running afoul of anything in the process. Found the site, and figured I could buy a pack of premium envelopes and type up a welcome letter or something fun to go with based on what is on that site (from the "airline")

When we did the Mars Mission submission, we entered their individual names but just used the same generic squadron email address for everyone.  Names (by themselves) aren't generally considered to be PII so no level of permission was sought beyond the squadron CC deciding it was a good idea for the given situation. 
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager