Encampment ribbon props.

Started by Picy3, August 15, 2019, 01:05:08 AM

Picy3

Greetings,

A friend of mine staffed an encampment and had to leave two days before the end cause of an extreme sickness. Now we are wondering if she can still get her encampment props. For getting the ribbon you need to attend encampment and participate in at least 80% of it BUT for the clasp with a search all I've found is it only says the following:

"The Encampment Ribbon is awarded to all cadets who complete a Civil Air Patrol Encampment successfully. A bronze clasp is awarded to cadet staff members and officers who provide leadership for the encampment."

From this it only specify that you need to provide leadership. She very much did as a Flight Sergeant so I'd think following this she can wear it on the ribbon but I wanted to check here because they might be some hidden reg I didn't know about saying otherwise.
Cadet Second Lieutenant who finally passed his Mitchell.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV
Alpha Flight Commander - 2019 ACIV

Eclipse

Quote from: Picy3 on August 15, 2019, 01:05:08 AM
Greetings,

A friend of mine staffed an encampment and had to leave two days before the end cause of an extreme sickness. Now we are wondering if she can still get her encampment props. For getting the ribbon you need to attend encampment and participate in at least 80% of it BUT for the clasp with a search all I've found is it only says the following:

"The Encampment Ribbon is awarded to all cadets who complete a Civil Air Patrol Encampment successfully. A bronze clasp is awarded to cadet staff members and officers who provide leadership for the encampment."

From this it only specify that you need to provide leadership. She very much did as a Flight Sergeant so I'd think following this she can wear it on the ribbon but I wanted to check here because they might be some hidden reg I didn't know about saying otherwise.
Not exactly "hidden"...

Encampment credit for staff and other non-student participants is essentially the same:
CAPP 60-70, Page 22: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Encampment_Guide_2017_D02F6386A8BEF.pdf

"Participation Credit.

Advanced students, cadet cadre, and senior staff are exempt from the academic
assignments and quiz requirements that students must fulfill (§5.1c above). Members of these groups earn
encampment participation credit through their active participation in 34 contact hours
(roughly 80% of
the minimum 42 contact hours), adhering to the Core Values, and successfully fulfilling their duty assignment, in the judgment of the encampment commander."

Ultimately credit is awarded at the discretion of the encampment commander, the options here are either just have the cadet ask directly,
or wait until credit for everyone else has been posted (required within 30 days of graduation) and see if this cadet received credit.

A cadet leaving 2 days early from a 5-7 day activity almost certainly put in enough time, but this isn't a "should" - either credit is posted in eservices or it isn't.

Related: If, through some oversight, this cadet was missed, the Enc CC can go in and add their CAP ID any time.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awards_and_decorations_of_the_Civil_Air_Patrol

OK, I see where you got this.  As a suggestion, Wikipedia is fine for short-hand / quick checks of something,
but you will be much better served if you refer to the actual NHQ publications when checking for authoritative information.

"That Others May Zoom"

Picy3

Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2019, 01:21:52 AM
Greetings,

Not exactly "hidden"...

Encampment credit for staff and other non-student participants is essentially the same:
CAPP 60-70, Page 22: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/Encampment_Guide_2017_D02F6386A8BEF.pdf

"Participation Credit.

Advanced students, cadet cadre, and senior staff are exempt from the academic
assignments and quiz requirements that students must fulfill (§5.1c above). Members of these groups earn
encampment participation credit through their active participation in 34 contact hours
(roughly 80% of
the minimum 42 contact hours), adhering to the Core Values, and successfully fulfilling their duty assignment, in the judgment of the encampment commander."

Ultimately credit is awarded at the discretion of the encampment commander, the options here are either just have the cadet ask directly,
or wait until credit for everyone else has been posted (required within 30 days of graduation) and see if this cadet received credit.

A cadet leaving 2 days early from a 5-7 day activity almost certainly put in enough time, but this isn't a "should" - either credit is posted in eservices or it isn't.

Related: If, through some oversight, this cadet was missed, the Enc CC can go in and add their CAP ID any time.

Got it. Thanks. Yeah everyone else has been posted so we'll just ask.

Rocketry badge, GTM3 badge, Solo Wings at a National Flight Academy, Encampment Cadre and two+ years of CAP in all its greatness.
DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV

Eclipse

Quote from: Picy3 on August 15, 2019, 02:44:41 AM

If it's anything but an oversight, I would make sure to ask the second and third questions.

"How many hours did this cadet actually get credit for?" (etc).

If the cadet was in his rack from Day 2, and finally just went home, then it's understandable,
but if he was active for 3+ days at probably 10-12 per (maybe more if there were unforeseen circumstances),
then that's going to be a real judgement call as to not getting credit. 

In most cases tie should go to the runner, at least that's what I always do.
Graduation, per se, isn't even required of students, let alone staff, and most cadre put in
a lot of prep time before encampment as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Picy3

Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2019, 03:01:26 AM
Quote from: Picy3 on August 15, 2019, 02:44:41 AM

If it's anything but an oversight, I would make sure to ask the second and third questions.

"How many hours did this cadet actually get credit for?" (etc).

If the cadet was in his rack from Day 2, and finally just went home, then it's understandable,
but if he was active for 3+ days at probably 10-12 per (maybe more if there were unforeseen circumstances),
then that's going to be a real judgement call as to not getting credit. 

In most cases tie should go to the runner, at least that's what I always do.
Graduation, per se, isn't even required of students, let alone staff, and most cadre put in
a lot of prep time before encampment as well.

The Cadet was present for roughly 8 days then got really sick and had to leave. Beforehand up to it was fine I believe. (The encampment including pre-encampment was 10 days total)

But yeah I see what you mean.

DFAC - 2019 WRIII
Logistics - 2019 CFXXIV