"USAF Explorers"-WTH is this??

Started by RepublicofE, September 06, 2015, 01:37:19 AM

Storm Chaser

I find this "colonel's"  biography amusing. While he has many significant CAP accomplishments (assuming they're all true), he's written his biography in a way to make himself seem more important than he really is. Heck, his biography is longer that Air Force Chief of Staff Gen Mark Welsh's.

Storm Chaser

From their FAQ:

Q.  What are the Explorers? Are they the same as CAP, or JROTC?

While similar to CAP and JROTC by youth demeanor only, the USAFX Cadet is a total cadet 24/7 held accountable just as a regular Commissioned Officer of our Armed Forces is during their tenure with the unit.

They neglected to mention that, unlike CAP and JROTC, the United States Air Force Explorers have no association whatsoever with the Air Force or the United States government. Their name is quite misleading.

abdsp51

He's a joke.  No real mil experience.  Plus their site hadn't been updated in ages. 

goblin

Officer aircrew wings and a parachutist badge? Nice.

Storm Chaser

You can get those online. They're not that expensive.  >:D

Eaker Guy

"The USAFX cadet is a total cadet 24/7 held accountable just as a regular Commissioned Officer of our Armed Forces is during their tenure with the unit."

There are so many things wrong with this.

goblin

RepublicofE

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 06, 2015, 02:02:48 PM
From their FAQ:

While similar to CAP and JROTC by youth demeanor only, the USAFX Cadet is a total cadet 24/7 held accountable just as a regular Commissioned Officer of our Armed Forces is during their tenure with the unit.

They neglected to mention that, unlike CAP and JROTC, the United States Air Force Explorers have no association whatsoever with the Air Force or the United States government. Their name is quite misleading.

Well their whole pitch seems to revolve around the idea that their program will improve your chances of selection for one of the service academies.  I've never attended one of the service academies but that implication seems dubious at best.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: Goblin on September 06, 2015, 06:21:44 PM
Kinda wanna join

Congratulations, you have volunteered to be our mole in their organization! Just kidding. I don't think anyone of us would be that cruel to send you in. Thanks for volunteering though!

xray328

Wonder what the cadet protection policy looks like [emoji5]️

Storm Chaser

Quote from: RepublicofE on September 06, 2015, 10:36:50 PM
From their FAQ:

Well their whole pitch seems to revolve around the idea that their program will improve your chances of selection for one of the service academies.  I've never attended one of the service academies but that implication seems dubious at best.

Especially since the person in charge has never served in the military.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: xray328 on September 07, 2015, 01:08:35 AM
Wonder what the cadet protection policy looks like [emoji5]️

Ummmm. Not even going to go there. Probably resembles a list of suggestions, but no guarentees.

Гугл переводчик

What they do with the Multi-Cam hurts my brain..
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

RepublicofE

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 07, 2015, 01:43:39 AM
From their FAQ:

So you don't believe his bio.

RepublicofE

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on September 08, 2015, 04:30:04 AM
What they do with the Multi-Cam hurts my brain..

Guess they aren't authorized to wear ABUs being not affiliated with the USAf and all.

Paul_AK

Why would a youth organization have anything listed as ISR? What the heck would that guy even do? Spy on the Boy's and Girl's club with RC planes?
Paul M. McBride
TSgt, 176 SFS, AKANG
1st Lt, AK CAP

Earhart #13376

sarmed1

Quote from: RepublicofE on September 08, 2015, 04:39:46 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 07, 2015, 01:43:39 AM
From their FAQ:

So you don't believe his bio.

I believe the bio as listed.  What seems "fishy" (or otherwise not stated, which may not be appropriate for a "bio" anyway) is what happened between ROTC and..... CAP? 
Benign:  not everyone who goes ROTC is able to or willing to accept a commission.   Injury/illness, better job offer, further education, family emergency, who knows.  (I know a few people that took ROTC as a college elective but never went to the military)  Worrisome is that was there some other "disqualifying issue" legal trouble, misconduct etc etc. (which is usually the concern with most "military"-esque organizations that aren't a sanctioned military affiliated organization)

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

MSG Mac

Lists a lot of CAP training without mentioning CAP ie National Staff College- Air War College. And under Civic affiliations doesn't list CAP at all.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

winterg

He also lists Pararescue Orientation Course and I am betting that was the CAP one as well but does not mention that.