"We are civil air patrol" Video - Need opinions for any changes

Started by PilotMan, September 19, 2012, 06:03:50 PM

PilotMan

Hi everyone,

Take a look at the video I have been working on and let me know if you see any details that might need tweaking.

All opinions are appreciated:  ;D

http://youtu.be/mtRwbzXmdzY

LTC Don

First, let me say that is an OutStanding video.  We have an open house coming up at our local airport, and I'd like very much to feature it during the day  -- asking permission to do so.  8)

Secondly, there are a couple of minor uniform glitches that to the general public won't mean anything, but obviously to the CAP audience, it does --

At the 3:55 mark, there is a senior member Capt wearing USAF blues with a crew-neck t-shirt.  That's a no-no.  V-necks only with the blues with open collar shirts. There is also a cadet at 3:58 wearing his flight cap while the others do not have headgear on (all inside the hangar or appears to be).

Cadets at 4:03 without headgear on while one does  and they are outside.

On the headgear infractions - If the pic had them all with headgear on or with headgear off, it wouldn't matter.  The balance is off since only one has the headgear on, looks odd then.

Senior member in BDUs at 4:14 gesturing at globe has incorrect folding on sleeves.  He appears in several more images.

I love the sailplane segment.  North Carolina has just begun to develop a sailplane program so we are very excited about that project.

Again, beyond those minor uniform infractions (there are some other minor ones, but I don't think they detract enough to go through to try to fix them), the video is Excellent.

Well-Done!

Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Jon Knapp

Jonathan D. Knapp, C/1st Lt, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, MER-NC-800

Eclipse

Very nice.

You might consider a shorter version for the more casual viewer, but the best effort I've seen in a while.
Actually shows what CAP really is.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Walkman

Kudos for taking the time to put together such a professional video. I know how much work is involved in something like this. Well done!

BigShu

Very nice, I liked it a lot. If I hadn't already joined, I'd do it all over! The music at the first, the trumpet fanfare, what is that called?

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Extremepredjudice

All of the cadets I saw wearing cords are wearing them wrong (CAPM39-1, 5-5).

They are supposed to be attached at the bottom, not freely hanging.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 20, 2012, 06:03:06 AM

Reread your reference, quoted below:

QuoteShoulder cords will be worn along the shoulder seam and fastened from the underneath, inside the shirt.

It's fastened at the top, at the shoulder seam.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dad2-4

Agreed that it's one of the most professionally done videos I've seen about CAP. The only uniform infraction that really stood out to me was the SM with the 3/4 rolled sleeves. Any other items went by so quickly that I didn't notice them.

PilotMan

Please elaborate..... Like to get it right!!

Thanks,

PilotMan

Quote from: Dad2-4 on September 20, 2012, 07:10:13 AM
Agreed that it's one of the most professionally done videos I've seen about CAP. The only uniform infraction that really stood out to me was the SM with the 3/4 rolled sleeves. Any other items went by so quickly that I didn't notice them.

Where in the video did you see the sleeves?

Thanks,

PilotMan

Quote from: LTC Don on September 19, 2012, 07:48:01 PM
First, let me say that is an OutStanding video.  We have an open house coming up at our local airport, and I'd like very much to feature it during the day  -- asking permission to do so.  8)

Secondly, there are a couple of minor uniform glitches that to the general public won't mean anything, but obviously to the CAP audience, it does --

At the 3:55 mark, there is a senior member Capt wearing USAF blues with a crew-neck t-shirt.  That's a no-no.  V-necks only with the blues with open collar shirts. There is also a cadet at 3:58 wearing his flight cap while the others do not have headgear on (all inside the hangar or appears to be).

Cadets at 4:03 without headgear on while one does  and they are outside.

On the headgear infractions - If the pic had them all with headgear on or with headgear off, it wouldn't matter.  The balance is off since only one has the headgear on, looks odd then.

Senior member in BDUs at 4:14 gesturing at globe has incorrect folding on sleeves.  He appears in several more images.

I love the sailplane segment.  North Carolina has just begun to develop a sailplane program so we are very excited about that project.

Again, beyond those minor uniform infractions (there are some other minor ones, but I don't think they detract enough to go through to try to fix them), the video is Excellent.

Well-Done!

According to 39-1 Page 52 ......Cant find the V-Neck T Thing:

Mandatory. Wear undershorts and undershirt (V-neck, U-neck, or athletic style) with all service and dress uniforms; the white crew- neck style undershirt is authorized when wearing closed collar service and dress uniforms only.

PilotMan

I reviewed the mention items and I will look deeper into them to correct an issues.  Glad to see you all like it.  It really seemed to make an impact on prospective cadets!  Our numbers nearly doubled after our open house.

Thanks all!!

Майор Хаткевич

Great video overall. just had an issue with the description:

QuoteTheir cadet program gives kids learning opportunities toward aerospace, moral leadership, and many other life skills lacking in most schools today.

We haven't had "Moral Leadership" as a term in CAP for at least 5-7 years now.

I'd rewrite the section on CP as a whole.

LTC Don

Quote from: PilotMan on September 20, 2012, 07:25:59 AM

Mandatory. Wear undershorts and undershirt (V-neck, U-neck, or athletic style) with all service and dress uniforms; the white crew- neck style undershirt is authorized when wearing closed collar service and dress uniforms only.

:P

Quote from: PilotMan on September 20, 2012, 07:25:59 AM

Mandatory. Wear undershorts and undershirt (V-neck, U-neck, or athletic style) with all service and dress uniforms; the white crew-neck style undershirt is authorized when wearing closed collar service and dress uniforms only.   ;)   ;D

Ergo, anytime the open-collar option is used with the USAF blue uniform, the v-neck, u-neck, or athletic 'tank-top' undershirt is the only authorized option.  This is a way-to-common infraction that is maddening to see.   :P

Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

Critical AOA

So is this shirt athletic or crew?  The label calls it both.  Does the reg define the terms?  Does it say athletic = tank top?  One can assume the reg's intent but is is not clear.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

johnnyb47

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 20, 2012, 07:39:23 PM
So is this shirt athletic or crew?  The label calls it both.  Does the reg define the terms?  Does it say athletic = tank top?  One can assume the reg's intent but is is not clear.

I would consider the term "Athletic Comfort" to be a marketing thing.
The neck is what is important. that is a Crew Neck.
If you can see it clearly with your top button undone it is a crew neck.
If you can't it's either one of the other styles (V-Neck, U-Neck) or WAY too big for the wearer. :)

Great video, by the way.  :clap:
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SarDragon

Quote from: PilotMan on September 20, 2012, 07:10:57 AM

Please elaborate..... Like to get it right!!

Thanks,

Every cord I could see clearly was correctly attached.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Critical AOA

Quote from: johnnyb47 on September 20, 2012, 08:14:58 PM

I would consider the term "Athletic Comfort" to be a marketing thing.
The neck is what is important. that is a Crew Neck.
If you can see it clearly with your top button undone it is a crew neck.
If you can't it's either one of the other styles (V-Neck, U-Neck) or WAY too big for the wearer. :)

I don't disagree with your interpretation but I just believe the use of the term athletic style in the reg  to be a bit ambiguous.  I have played more sports wearing a crew neck t-shirt than a tank top.

But back to the topic at hand.  Even with the few minor uniform violations, it is a great video.

johnnyb47

http://www.hanes.com/clothing/men/undershirts
A-Shirt or Athletic Style shirt is what we have been calling muscle shirts since I was a yound lad.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Flying Pig

"I remember laying on the grass in Oahu watching the planes fly over"  DUDE....that was called Pearl Harbor!!   >:D  That was a great video.

PilotMan

Thank you!!

SarDragon

Quote from: PilotMan on September 21, 2012, 05:45:57 PM

Thank you!!

This presumes that you are rejecting the info in the quote, and accepting all the other guidance that was provided.  ???
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PilotMan

Quote from: SarDragon on September 21, 2012, 11:52:12 PM
Quote from: PilotMan on September 21, 2012, 05:45:57 PM

Thank you!!

This presumes that you are rejecting the info in the quote, and accepting all the other guidance that was provided.  ???

Someone else wrote that......... I accept all criticism and I agree..... One of the cadets appeared to have the cords sitting on their shoulder versus having under the epaulette.  Im guessing they put it on that way for the picture.  Thank you for all the great observations!!

SarDragon

OK, looked one more time, and the red, white, and blue trio doesn't have them on right. They should be under the epaulet. Didn't go back for any of the others.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

I'll echo the uniform comments, but otherwise a very slick vid!  Great music too, thanks for finding a new artist for me to add to my Spotify playlist  :)

jimmydeanno

I understand the way that uniform violations irk CAP members, really I do.  However, I watched this video (very well done, BTW), and I can't see a reason to go back into it, find new clips, re-edit, and reproduce it for a relatively few number of incorrectly worn uniform items.  To us insiders we could spend all day point out the errors - but we aren't the intended audience of the clip.  Because the audience is external, I would go by the standard of "do the members present a positive image of the organization" - period.

I liken this to the idea that NHQ should dump their entire stock photo archive every time there is a uniform regulation change - it just doesn't make sense.  Nobody in the outside world cares, one way or the other, if a cadet has a wing patch on their blues on the recruiting brochure - likewise, people aren't going to know the difference between how cords are worn on our uniforms.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Smith

Great video! May I ask what you used to capture the footage and the voice overlay?  I've been putting together some recruiting videos of my own using personal picture and footage from out HG and activities, and a little from Google searches.  The only one I have on YouTube is a mash-up of the radio PSA found on the national website and the Cadet Life video, found here:

Civil Air Patrol Recruiting 45secs

I am currently working on a more professional cinematic style video at the moment but am finding video footage and voice overlays are much more attractive, but are very scarce.  I am using Sony Vegas Pro for the editing and such but it can only help so much.

Thanks for the great video!

RickRutledge

Quote from: c/Smith on September 24, 2012, 06:05:40 AM
The only one I have on YouTube is a mash-up of the radio PSA found on the national website and the Cadet Life video

From the person who voiced and produced the Radio PSAs on the NHQ website, I'm super impressed on how you put this video together. Nice to see someone putting our hardwork to work for their unit/wing. Hats off!
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

RickRutledge

OH and as for this video. I would hack out the one photo of the Captain with the crew neck shirt on, it's the only seriously obvious uniform violation.

In the future, be careful about taking pictures with the following:
1) Crew neck shirts in blues
2) Cadets in reflective sunglasses
3) Grooming standard violations
4) Misalignment of accouterments on blues

These are the most common uniform violations and unless you believe crucifixion is a sufficient means of motivation, avoid them. It's simple, read CAPR 39-1 cover to cover a few times (it takes that many because of how darn confusing it is) and you'll begin to spot issues at 20 paces. If you're setting up group shots, do a solid once over on everyone in the photo. If you're taking "action" shots, review carefully before you post/use. 

Just some helpful best practices. But, it should be said, if you consistently have uniform violations in pictures, it should be addressed with your Squadron CC and therefore with the members. I try to train all the PAOs in my wing as uniform nazis, it helps eliminate issues especially since NHQ scrapes tons of news outlets across the country for stories about CAP. Someone, somewhere will see the screw up, especially if it happens more than once.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like any additional help on anything like this. I have access to multiple Voice Over studios and I do it professionally, if you need something read for something like this, just let me know.

rrutledge@okwgcap.org
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

EMT-83

Ignore the "experts" here and don't change a thing.

Job well done.

Cool Mace

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 04, 2012, 02:06:13 PM
Ignore the "experts" here and don't change a thing.

Job well done.

He asked for advise on the video.  They also said that they were being nit-picky in some areas, and to take it as he will. This is CT after all. You're going to get a handful of response from people when you ask for advise. And I know of at least one person that commented is an expert when it comes to this.

Great video BTW!
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.