"PAO SHOUT OUT!!! If you're a PAO" or "RECRUITING OFFICER lets it be known!!!"

Started by Major Carrales, January 27, 2007, 03:05:20 AM

Major Carrales

PUBLIC AFFAIRS SHOUTOUT!!!

A while back someone made a series of comments about "poorly trained" Public Affairs Officers.  Well, let's use this place to workfor the betterment of that effort.

To begin to establish a network of Public Affairs Officers for the betterment of PUBLIC AFFAIRS in CAP!  That begins with a sort of master lists of on-line CAPTALK PAOs!

Major Joe Ely Carrales
Commander/PAO
Corpus Christi Comp Squadron Civil Air Patrol
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Pumbaa

Right back at you.

2nd LT Richard Fairchild - Public Affairs Officer
Chemung/ Schuyler Composite Squadron - CAP
United States Air Force Auxiliary

JohnKachenmeister

Maj. John Kachenmeister, IG, Group 4 Florida, but Master-level qualified in PA.

Former assignments:  PAO, Group 6, Ohio.
                                   PAO, 300th Military Police Command, USAR
                                   PAO, Task Force 364 (Honduras)
                                   Broadcast Officer, 367th Public Affairs Det., USAR

Training:                     Graduate, Defense Information School, Ft. Harrison, IN
                                   Public Affairs Officer Course Class 2-84.
Another former CAP officer

ddelaney103

Would it be bad form to suggest that a PAO thread should really proofread their thread title before posting?  It would help to avoid the "poorly trained" label.

NIN

Quote from: ddelaney103 on January 27, 2007, 04:45:19 PM
Would it be bad form to suggest that a PAO thread should really proofread their thread title before posting?  It would help to avoid the "poorly trained" label.

That's incredibly ironical.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Pylon

This seems awfully similar to this thread also started by the same person. 

On a side note -- I work in public affairs for my day job, I don't in CAP; I like to do anything else when not at work to stay sane.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: Pylon on January 28, 2007, 12:11:58 AM
On a side note -- I work in public affairs for my day job, I don't in CAP; I like to do anything else when not at work to stay sane.

To be straight up, I think this is one thing that drives people away from us. There are people that express interest, we ask them what they do, and then try to sell them on doing the same job for us.

I always have annoyed my various commanders by asking visitors "What would you like to do for us? We have a variety of specialty tracks available."

Those commanders kept telling me that I should ask what skills they can bring to us, and try to use them accordingly. I look at it as we need to ask what interests they can serve with us. It's a better sale when we give them something.

afgeo4

YO!  ;D

Speaking of Public Affairs/Recruiting... I just found this online today:
www.google.com/grants

I think someone at NHQ should take the 30 seconds to fill out the form. The results might be astounding.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

GEORGE LURYE

Spogden

I am the recently former Utah Wing PAO. We just returned to Texas and will most likely become a unit PAO, among other things.

afgeo4

Anyone in the NE wants to attend a Public Affairs Seminar run by NYC Group? It's in works currently.
GEORGE LURYE

davedove

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 28, 2007, 07:21:54 PM
Quote from: Pylon on January 28, 2007, 12:11:58 AM

To be straight up, I think this is one thing that drives people away from us. There are people that express interest, we ask them what they do, and then try to sell them on doing the same job for us.

I always have annoyed my various commanders by asking visitors "What would you like to do for us? We have a variety of specialty tracks available."

Those commanders kept telling me that I should ask what skills they can bring to us, and try to use them accordingly. I look at it as we need to ask what interests they can serve with us. It's a better sale when we give them something.

I have to completely agree with this.  I have an accounting degree and work with government accounting every day.  BUT, I don't want to do this for CAP.

If the someone wants to work the same type of job in CAP, that's great, but we shouldn't "force" them to do so.  Even if they are working another job, their expertise is still there for advice.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Pumbaa

I'm hoping to go.  I wantto fly out there, but will have to see. 
Quote from: afgeo4 on January 31, 2007, 05:57:48 PM
Anyone in the NE wants to attend a Public Affairs Seminar run by NYC Group? It's in works currently.

NEWGPAO

Pumbaa

Holy crap a zombie thread!

BTW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CAP PAOs, Squadron Commanders, Senior Members and Cadets,

The New York Wing is sponsoring a One-Day FREE PAO Workshop in Syracuse on November 8, 2008, everyone is invited!

Learn from experienced PAOs, National Public Affairs and Marketing personnel as well as local media professionals.  Attached is a flyer regarding the workshop, further details can be found on the following web-page:  http://capli.com/nywgpaoworkshop08.html .

Please forward this to everyone in your squadron and group that you have contact information for, we would like to have a large showing.  PAOs and Squadron/Group Commanders are strongly encouraged to attend, cadets who are interested in public affairs are welcome!

Big_Ed

I am an IC1, Deputy Sq. Commander (30 year member) and a master PAO.

Just completed presentations to 6th & 7th graders at four middle schools with two of my cadet NCOs.  Had a fair turnout at our open house too.  Looking for good things from this latest crop.

Educated and motivated cadets are our best recruiters.  I'd like to see more of an effort (program wide) to include 2nd or 3rd year cadets into our public awareness efforts.

Any thoughts?
Edgar R. Flick, Lt. Colonel, CAP
Emergency Services Training Officer,
Pennsylvania Wing/NERPA001
Member since 1977

Major Carrales

Quote from: Big_Ed on November 02, 2008, 01:26:14 PM
I am an IC1, Deputy Sq. Commander (30 year member) and a master PAO.

Just completed presentations to 6th & 7th graders at four middle schools with two of my cadet NCOs.  Had a fair turnout at our open house too.  Looking for good things from this latest crop.

Educated and motivated cadets are our best recruiters.  I'd like to see more of an effort (program wide) to include 2nd or 3rd year cadets into our public awareness efforts.

Any thoughts?

Welcome,

I have a flight of cadet at the school that I teach.  Presentations are excellent, but be sure to follow up.  You have to sort of make a CAP presence in the school.  Get the guidance counselor some DDR posters, get permission to put up some recruiting posters and offer some guest speakers (like an AE offier) to offer some "hands on training" in a science class.

I have also found that allowing Middle School cadets to make presentations to Elementary schools serves a twofold purpose.  1) Gets the word about CAP into the young and may stir future cadets and 2) lets Middle School aged cadets payforward the knowledge they learned in Leadership and Aerospace.

Hope you enjoy the suggestions.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: NEWGPAO on November 02, 2008, 08:12:32 AM
Am a newly appointed PAO for Nebraska Wing. Am preparing for a CI.

Welcome,

There are some really high quality PAOs here at CAPTALK.  As they make themselves known, give them a shout out via PM.

The spreading of useful information is a good quality of a place like CAPTALK.  Avoid the political machinations, dogpiling and rumer milling (which often happen in all forums) and you will find a treasure trove of information.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pumbaa on November 02, 2008, 10:00:45 AM
Holy crap a zombie thread!

BTW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CAP PAOs, Squadron Commanders, Senior Members and Cadets,

The New York Wing is sponsoring a One-Day FREE PAO Workshop in Syracuse on November 8, 2008, everyone is invited!

Learn from experienced PAOs, National Public Affairs and Marketing personnel as well as local media professionals.  Attached is a flyer regarding the workshop, further details can be found on the following web-page:  http://capli.com/nywgpaoworkshop08.html .

Please forward this to everyone in your squadron and group that you have contact information for, we would like to have a large showing.  PAOs and Squadron/Group Commanders are strongly encouraged to attend, cadets who are interested in public affairs are welcome!

Hey Guy,

It's Halloween time...zombies walk the earth!!!

The event you mention is much out of my range, but I recommend it to anyone in the Mid-Atlantic area (Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey and Deleware) of the once British Colonies (we are studying this presently in American History).

These activities allow you to see the plan and goal inplace for Public Affairs.  Remember, you are not "on your own."  These are great places to network.

Commander
SWR-TX-454