10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch

Started by SarDragon, July 23, 2010, 06:52:22 AM

raivo

The most peculiar thing I encounter on the Internet is the defiant comeback of "Who cares? This isn't English class."

In which case, I must call to mind some classic World of Warcraft forum posts:

QuoteThe WoW forums aren't English class.

In English class, it's someone's *job* to help you learn spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Here, people do it for free, just to be nice.

A few, anyway. The rest just quietly form opinions about your intelligence, based on the evidence you provide.

QuoteWhen people offer up the "we aren't in English class" defense sincerely, I think really the only answer they're looking for is

"Have you ever wanted to communicate outside of English class?"

Those poor buggers' poor teachers. The teachers thought they were teaching skills to be applied to make their students' lives richer and more full, but they were actually teaching that those skills are location specific.

"How much was gas?"
"I DUNNO LOL TEH GAS STATION SNT MATH CLASS!"

"How far are you from home?"
"LOL THE HIWAYZE AINT GEOGRAPHY CLASE!"

"Are you all right? I am trained in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation! Do you need my assistance?"
"TEH BALL PARK ISNT CPR CLASS NERDRAGE MOAR Y KNOT"

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

bosshawk

Dave: you also have a firm grasp of how important correct grammar and punctuation are in evaluating an individual.  You are absolutely correct in saying that one's writing skills are for a lifetime, the ability to wear a uniform is only good for the life of the involvement in the organization that wears the uniform.  In my Army career, it became obvious from the start that writing correctly was an absolute necessity for becoming a good Army Officer.  Write poorly and you will become an also-ran very quickly.  Write well and you can name your next position.  For what it is worth, that holds true in the civilian world.

Enough preaching for now.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Major Lord

So then, we all take this brave moral stand that good grammar, syntax, and spelling is desirable? What a courageous and provocative position to take! Kudos.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SarDragon

Thanks for the hijack, Alan.

Can we get a click on this now, mods?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret