10 Common Errors “Spell Check” Won’t Catch

Started by SarDragon, July 23, 2010, 06:52:22 AM

SarDragon

Yahoo Shine Story.

Quote from: The articleWhile we can rely on a spell checker to catch glaring errors, a computer can't pick up on all careless mistakes, especially if the word could be correct in a different context. Often word misuse is our mistake. The English language is full of homonyms, or words that have different meanings but sound and look similar, which makes it easy to confuse proper usage. For instance, verbally, you might not even notice the difference between "your" and "you're." But in print, the error can lead the reader to perceive you as less intelligent than you are. For this reason, it's important to spell check and proofread your documents, especially for the following common misuses, which are so easy to make, you might even have to check your document a couple times to catch them.

It's amazing that our forum members can obsess over uniforms, and reg interpretations, and "cap" vs. "hat", but don't seem to care all that much about the appearance of their posts. This article points out some common errors, most of which I see here on a day to day basis.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

bosshawk

What heresy hath you spoken, Dave?  Using correct grammar and spelling are two items seldom observed by the modern generation.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Smithsonia

The most common mistake is you when you mean your or your when meaning the contraction You're. It happens everyday to me too.
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

SarDragon

Quote from: Smithsonia on July 23, 2010, 07:32:37 AM
The most common mistake is you when you mean your or your when meaning the contraction You're. It happens everyday to me too.

On here?

It's/its is the one I notice the most.  Some of the news magazine that have done similar articles pretty well agree on that. You/your/you're is probably next, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BillB

I dont' see a problem. Most people reed what other people right
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

jeders

Quote from: SarDragon on July 23, 2010, 07:46:15 AM
Quote from: Smithsonia on July 23, 2010, 07:32:37 AM

On here?

It's/its is the one I notice the most.  Some of the news magazine that have done similar articles pretty well agree on that. You/your/you're is probably next, though.
I'd say also there/their/they're.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

DakRadz

I saw this weigh to late at nite; its not registering with me.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Well sir, at least you know a few of us are aware of proper English. And quick/careless/harried typing leads to mistakes as well, even from a well-educated English professor.

I do believe the point was made :angel:, if poked at a bit >:D

Major Lord

As a reasonably literate person, I reject ab initio the idea that a presentation's form and appearance  is more important than the facts of the post. The importance of understanding and discussing CAP regulations ( the guidelines for everything that happens in CAP) is paramount to our survival. Although I will grant you that hats are not a critical aspect of our mission, they are one of many aspects of CAP that need clarification. (for fear of  members running willy-nilly with unapproved headgear)

We should not let protocol, format, and procedure stand in the way of effective communications. Why should the rules of grammar assume a higher precedence than the rules of CAP, on a CAP discussion page? Many cadets are educated in the public schools, and we have to assume that they have roughly the same formal training in the English language as your average Kalahari Bushman. As far as the rest of the organization, remember that we are headquartered in Alabama, a place where English is taught as a second language to a lucky few.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SarDragon

Our purpose here is to exchange information. When it becomes difficult to decipher a post because of the crappy writing, everyone loses.

It is obvious to me that many posters don't really care how their posts look. They even say that when I send PMs on that subject.

QuoteAs a reasonably literate person, I reject ab initio the idea that a presentation's form and appearance  is more important than the facts of the post.

What's the difference between having pride in your uniform and having pride in your writing? Both can give a strong first impression, positive or negative. A uniform defines a person's form and appearance just as much as grammar, spelling, and punctuation start to  define quality writing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DakRadz

Quote from: SarDragon on July 24, 2010, 12:25:08 AM
QuoteAs a reasonably literate person, I reject ab initio the idea that a presentation's form and appearance  is more important than the facts of the post.

What's the difference between having pride in your uniform and having pride in your writing? Both can give a strong first impression, positive or negative. A uniform defines a person's form and appearance just as much as grammar, spelling, and punctuation start to  define quality writing.

Putting it that way makes you think.
If you walked up to, oh, say, a cadet Colonel with a ketchup (or ice cream.. long story) stain on his shirt, shoes scuffed up, and pants so wrinkled that they seem to have been balled up for a few days before wear- will the valid concern he had with some aspect of the Cadet Program get across to you? Or would you tell him to prove he understood the program by representing it correctly before criticizing others? And how many would just simply ignore what he had to say, try to kick him out, etc. etc.?

Same with writing/typing- prove you understand the language in which you choose to converse, before you try to use said language to win someone over. And yes, some posts are ketchup-covered, scuffed up, wrinkly looking pieces of incomprehensibility.

Major Lord

Are you seriously comparing the  difference between your wear of our Country's  Uniform and penmanship? I would say there is a significant difference! Now I am not rejecting out of hand that internet posts in general  tend to be awful by grammatical and spelling standards, but to dismiss the submissions of those who do not meet your submission standards is a trifle elitist.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

EMT-83

It's interesting (at least to me) that Ed O'Brien commented on this topic. Ed is a skilled wordsmith with a real talent for presenting his thoughts in a clear, concise manner. Something we should all strive towards.

Short Field

Quote from: Major Lord on July 24, 2010, 01:21:24 AM
Are you seriously comparing the  difference between your wear of our Country's  Uniform and penmanship?
He was saying that just as a sloppy and incorrectly worn uniform reflects poorly on the wearer, so does poor grammar and spelling reflect poorly on the writer. 

Typos and errors in editing are normal when you don't have a second set of eyes proofing your writing.  However, it is easy to spot the different between a typo or oversight and just plain poor grammar and spelling.

Please expand on your comment that English is taught as a second language in Alabama to a select few.  What is the primary language?  Who are the select few?  Or are we going to get a "you failed to recognize the satiric comment I was making" response?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Gunner C

Are you seriously comparing the  difference between your wear of our Country's  Uniform and penmanship? I would say there is a significant difference! Now I am not rejecting out of hand that internet posts in general  tend to be awful by grammatical and spelling standards, but to dismiss the submissions of those who do not meet your submission standards is a trifle elitist.

Major Lord

It is a reflection of personal pride in what one does.  It is a reflection of the respect for the board.  It is a reflection of the community in general.  Crappy uniforms or crappy writing are symptomatic of the same problem:  that things that used to be important don't matter - writing, speech, dress, and grooming.  People think that anyone can express themselves in any manner, present themselves in any way they wish, and any repercussions will either be unfair or unfounded.

DakRadz

The two posts above have explained my intentions before I could, and many times better.

Майор Хаткевич

reading something lime this gets anoyung cause people think this is aceptable way of typing and comunicating when peiple are young they seme to think its ok but when they get older they begin to realize that it's annoying to read and most people either don't or critique the writer and not the message.

SarDragon

Major Lord

What does penmanship have to do with this?

Quote from: Online Merriam-Webster1 : the art or practice of writing with the pen
2 : quality or style of handwriting

I'm talking about correct word usage, proper punctuation and capitalization, and good grammar.

Here's a post from a while back that I sent private comment on. Don't you find it hard to read?

Quotei really think its a problem no one knows about us I'm a die hard pilot wannabee
and i hang around all pilot wannabees too. i hapend to stumble across CAP at our state fair and so i joined and a bunch of my friends want to join too. see all it takes is some sort of advertising/recrouting campain. Almost all kids go through a period where they want to be an "army man" or a "jet fighter pilot" and a lot o those kids never stop. I'm sure if they found out they would join and stay in CAP. WE also have to tak in acout the war im sure several of those who left CAP joined the armed forces.

Here's another, from a cadet officer:

QuoteI haven't been on here for quite a while, but I saw this and it peaked my interest.  I am currently a cadet at West Point and one of the instructors was on the team that developed the ACU's for the Army.  Most of the complaints that you will see in the ACU are that they don't work for specific situations very well.  The army was trying to make one uniform that would work for every one.  the pixilation is the same as the marine camo pattern, which is extremely effective.  the only thing is that they army chose the color pattern that would work decent in every environment, unlike the marines that have multiple different color pallets.  The Velcro came from soldier request.  Although over time in the field i think most would rather go back to something more durable.  It is true that the Velcro wears out quickly, I have found that to be especially true on the cargo pockets.  The patches being Velcro were supposed to be cost saving over time.  maybe not in the first year, with the cost of the patch being around 10 times more expensive, but over time less sewing is needed.  also i have 5 sets of ACU's but only 2 sets of patches, more money saved.  I hate the fact that the branch was taken off and most officers that i have talked to don't like it either, but it is something that is just for looks it doesn't effect how we fight.  The big problem has been riping in the seat and crotch of the pants.  The manufacture has already addressed the issue and the reinforced ACU trousers are now available to the best of my knowledge.

From what i know and have been told the ACU fixes a problem that didn't need to be fixed today, but what about tomorrow.  Why not stay two steps a head of the enemy.  Also while it might not be great in the visual spectrum check it out under IR.  It works great in garrison, West Point cadets being in garrison for 9 months of the year means we like it, but the field does pose some problems.  For the Army people out there be watching for some really cool new additions to the uniform, there are some great things coming down the pipe and some really cool things that are being tested right now.  The instructors and cadets have been helping the designers a lot and have been doing some wear testing.  We need to give up on going back to the BDU, and progress with the ACU and ABU.  Both will need some more work, but both are good uniforms.

It's crap, and not something I should expect from a cadet officer.

Here's part of my canned PM:

QuoteWhile this is an informal forum, many posters try to make their posts look good to improve the credibility. Readers will treat your posts more seriously if they see that you think they are important enough to use correct English.

Your posts are a look at you and your attitude. If you don't care how your posts look, a lot of folks aren't going to care enough to help you out or pay attention to what you write. There are also all kinds of people reading what you write on CT who could help decide your future, particularly in CAP.

I don't understand how you can summarily dismiss a sincere effort to help people improve themselves. Good writing skills will have far more importance in someone's life, five or ten years down the road, than how shiny they can make their boots, or position a collar insignia.

YMMV.

Oh, BTW, I spent 21 years in the Navy, wearing our country's uniform, in between and during stints in CAP. I think I understand about uniforms and their significance and impact.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

raivo

The most peculiar thing I encounter on the Internet is the defiant comeback of "Who cares? This isn't English class."

In which case, I must call to mind some classic World of Warcraft forum posts:

QuoteThe WoW forums aren't English class.

In English class, it's someone's *job* to help you learn spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Here, people do it for free, just to be nice.

A few, anyway. The rest just quietly form opinions about your intelligence, based on the evidence you provide.

QuoteWhen people offer up the "we aren't in English class" defense sincerely, I think really the only answer they're looking for is

"Have you ever wanted to communicate outside of English class?"

Those poor buggers' poor teachers. The teachers thought they were teaching skills to be applied to make their students' lives richer and more full, but they were actually teaching that those skills are location specific.

"How much was gas?"
"I DUNNO LOL TEH GAS STATION SNT MATH CLASS!"

"How far are you from home?"
"LOL THE HIWAYZE AINT GEOGRAPHY CLASE!"

"Are you all right? I am trained in Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation! Do you need my assistance?"
"TEH BALL PARK ISNT CPR CLASS NERDRAGE MOAR Y KNOT"

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

bosshawk

Dave: you also have a firm grasp of how important correct grammar and punctuation are in evaluating an individual.  You are absolutely correct in saying that one's writing skills are for a lifetime, the ability to wear a uniform is only good for the life of the involvement in the organization that wears the uniform.  In my Army career, it became obvious from the start that writing correctly was an absolute necessity for becoming a good Army Officer.  Write poorly and you will become an also-ran very quickly.  Write well and you can name your next position.  For what it is worth, that holds true in the civilian world.

Enough preaching for now.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Major Lord

So then, we all take this brave moral stand that good grammar, syntax, and spelling is desirable? What a courageous and provocative position to take! Kudos.

Major Lord

SarDragon

Thanks for the hijack, Alan.

Can we get a click on this now, mods?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret