Patch Heraldry and Related Things

Started by AvroArrow, November 15, 2009, 08:36:24 PM

AvroArrow

I am in need to make a new wing-patch design as part of a CAC proposal. I've been googling for Air Force Heraldry regulations with little luck. Is there anyone that may have knowledge of or a copy of heraldry guidelines?

Also, I know the two mandatory colors are ultramarine blue and 'air force' yellow and that the patch must be a shield, not a disc (being that echelon is a wing, not a squadron). So, what I don't know is the font type: Is there a particular font I need to use or does it not make a significant difference?

Appreciate it!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

CAPOfficer

I attempted to attach a PDF file on Air Force heraldry for you but I cannot find an attachment button to post it.  Therefore, go to http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/?txtSearchWord=afi84-105&rdoFormPub=rdoPub for the actual file.

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPOfficer on November 15, 2009, 09:25:30 PM
I attempted to attach a PDF file on Air Force heraldry for you but I cannot find an attachment button to post it.  Therefore, go to http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/?txtSearchWord=afi84-105&rdoFormPub=rdoPub for the actual file.

You can't attach until you have 100 posts...

This is the site that the ILWG document is borrowed from and where the USAF guidelines are stored.
http://www.afhra.af.mil/

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

A website that may have some info related to what you want: http://www.usafpatches.com/

A lot covered in there, so you may have to sift through to really discover anything that might be useful. It's focused on collectors, but might have something to help you.

RiverAux

That just might be the most boring current Wing patch out there.  Probably time for something new. 

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AvroArrow

So now that I'm on my way, I'm searching for the guidance of a photoshop pro (I have CS4 on hand right now).

I'm looking for a shooting star that would look good on a patch since I don't know if I can really 'draw' one on photoshop. All the good images from google are too small (and become pixelated when enlarged) while the rest are not what'd look good for what I need.

Any ideas, gurus?

Eclipse

Quote from: AvroArrow on November 16, 2009, 12:47:00 AM
So now that I'm on my way, I'm searching for the guidance of a photoshop pro (I have CS4 on hand right now).

I'm looking for a shooting star that would look good on a patch since I don't know if I can really 'draw' one on photoshop. All the good images from google are too small (and become pixelated when enlarged) while the rest are not what'd look good for what I need.

Any ideas, gurus?

Clipart.com, or any of the other and various art foundries, either as a source of the art or a source of ideas.

"That Others May Zoom"

AvroArrow

Right, so I know this isn't professional work. But good thing it's a proposal: we can have a professional fix it up later   ;)

Anyways, thoughts? Criticism? Lemme know what you think!

---

edit: Also wanted to add the symbolism information.

•Colors:

»"Air Force" Yellow: Represents the excellence of all KSWG personnel.

»Ultramarine Blue: Represents the sky, the main theatre of operations of the United Stated Air Force and where C.A.P. performs some of its own search and rescue missions.

»Red around cross: Represents valor and success of KSWG personnel. Also represents lives saved by C.A.P. disaster relief and search and rescue missions.

»White and Black: Represents the good and bad times KSWG has gone through.

•Symbols:

»CAP Propeller: Represents KSWG's parent, C.A.P. NHQ

»Shooting star: Represents KSWG's past (what has been done to get to now) and how we have overcome the turmoil and road bumps encountered along the way. The star also represents our future destinations, going off into the distance knowing that there are many more challenges onward.

»Hospital Cross: Represents C.A.P.'s search and rescue, humanitarian, and disaster relief missions and how those missions help, protect, and save others' lives.

AlphaSigOU

Lt Kerfoot,

Good idea so far, but it needs a little more tweaking. My recommendations:

1. Remove the motto from within the shield; mottos properly belong on a scroll. The C.A.P. initials below the prop and triangle are redundant. The 'shooting star' could be stylized similar to that of the astronaut's emblem (without the orbit). If so, it should point the opposite way, with the star toward the wearer's right (left if you're facing the emblem). (As shown going from lower left to upper right (as viewed facing the shield), it denotes illegitimacy in a heraldic blazon.) For contrast, the shooting star could be or (heraldic for 'gold' or yellow) with black outlining.

Remember that in a heraldic blazon, dexter (right) and sinister (left) refer to the wearer's right and left (shown opposite when facing the shield).

Instead of the red-outlined white cross, you may want to select a distinctive symbol, such as a sheaf of wheat or other item that commonly denotes the state of Kansas.

Again, good work.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Chief2009

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on November 16, 2009, 12:02:19 PM
Instead of the red-outlined white cross, you may want to select a distinctive symbol, such as a sheaf of wheat or other item that commonly denotes the state of Kansas.

Agreed, there's nothing on it that really says "Kansas". Of course, neither does the new FLWG patch, but it's got a nice hearldry to it.

Is this a project for the whole CAC, or are you taking it on by yourself? I'm not criticizing, just curious.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing the final product.

DN
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

AvroArrow

For now, the image is 1 one of 5 other 'propsoal' from other KSWG CAC folks. (The project is a task assigned by the Wing CAC Chair for all council members).

I'll take the suggestions and forward them on in addition to the original submition.

Thanks!

A.Member

Also, if you haven't already, read through this thread:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=572.0

You'll find a lot of good info there that will speak to many of your questions.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Pylon

Also, if you're going to represent one of your missions on the Wing patch (i/e: Operations, with the cross) doesn't that leave out your other two missions from being represented (cadet programs and aerospace education)?     I suppose you could argue that CP and AE can be represented somehow by the comet, though.  Just a thought.

I have to agree about taking out the "CAP", the motto, and any other text from the field of the emblem.  It should be purely symbolic with either the motto, or the unit name on the scroll.  I've seen at least one USAF unit with a heater-shield emblem and only a motto on the scroll, if you're looking for precedent on that.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

AvroArrow

I'll take all these in mind at the upcoming meeting:

• Remove the motto to the scroll or erase it enitrely
  • Add something more "Kasnas"
  • Move the star from left-to-right to right-to-left
  • Perhaps a better color scheme

I've appreciated the feedback. Keep it coming!  ;)

alamrcn

I'm also for the "more Kansas" suggestions.

It's kind of a knee-jerk instinct for members when creating a Civil Air Patrol emblem, to try and represent ALL of what our organization is. The three missions, our ties to the Air Force, etc. There are hundreds, and I mean HUNDREDS of CAP unit patches out there that represent what our organization is very well - but not the actual unit that wears it!

So, think down, not up...  Symbolize the wing and its subordinate units, not who Kansas is a part of - ie. North Central Region or the Air Force.

Representing the people that will use the emblem is the goal, using visual cues that identify what is UNIQUE about Kansas Wing - its own personnel, its own territory, its own missions, its own history. The "shooting star" concept is a good attempt at this.

But maybe think more possitively... A shooting star is burning out and about to die, which is the opposite of what is being conveyed by your description. Perhaps a "rising star" or even a sun.

Perhaps some ideas from the state flag - a popular go-to place for CAP wing patches, as well as guard and reserve patches. The Kansas Flag has a unique auqa and gold torse (the rope looking thing) that might be incorporated somehow.

If you've never been to it, scan through the CAP Patches website and maybe pick up some ideas...
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/
The USAF Patches website mentioned above is also worth browsing through a bit.

Good luck to you and the CAC on this venture!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

jimmydeanno

I'll give you a good example of a wing patch that hits close to home for me.

This is the patch for the 157th Air Refueling Wing, which is the New Hampshire Air National Guard.

I think it does everything that you're looking for in your Kansas proposal above.

1: It integrated the State Motto into the shield without it being in the field.
2: The Old Man of the Mountain is quintessential New Hampshire. 
3: 13 stars represent 13 colonies, with the larger one representing NH.

etc, etc.  I like it very much...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

m981

To Avro Arrow, Please consider ultramarine blue and golden orange. They look great together and just happen to be the original AAF colors.
LTC. CAP
Spaatz
Wilson

alamrcn

2: The Old Man of the Mountain is quintessential New Hampshire. 

He should have had Life Alert!

Good looking, simple design patch. And great use of dirrectional elements.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota