Main Menu

Shoulder Boards

Started by AvroArrow, September 24, 2009, 01:36:30 AM

AvroArrow

Since the search button didn't give me much help, I had some questions for the cadet shoulder boards.

• The boards have velcro, so I can easily attach them to my shoulder. There is a detachable pad that the underside of the board 'clips' to. But how do I best attach the pad to the shoulder of the coat? And in case I'm in need to remove the pad onto another coat, what is the best way?
  • How would one safely attach one pip/diamond to a shoulder board?
  • How would one best attach two or three pips/diamonds to a shoulder board?
  • What is the best way to remove the metal grade (as to not leave noticeable holes or ruin the board and metal insignia)

If there's any good question I didn't ask, please share its answer (any good information helps!)

addo1

Haha, welcome to the cadet officer world of shoulder board hassle.

Ok, here is how I do it. I have the velcro ones as well. I took a pair of C/2d Lt shoulder MARKS and sewed the underside velcro to that. With that way, I can slide on it on the epaulett easily and transfer it between jackets if I need. As for attaching the pip, your boards MAY have a weak space to put the pip through. One of my boards did, one did not. I know some people drill a tiny hole through to solve that problem. I, personally, broke several on my first attempt. As for removing anything, I really dont know yet. Ill let you know next month. :)
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

SarDragon

Removal -
The grade insignia come out fairly easily, leaving holes behind. The new insignia will cover the old holes. That is, until you go from pips to diamonds. Then it's time to pony up the coin for a new set of boards.

"Weak spots" -
Most of the boards I've helped out with have a groove under the top fabric. Some grooves are wider than others. Carefully run your fingernail lengthwise along the lighter blue area to find the groove. That's where to stick the pins through. Very Carefully. It's best to make the holes first with a sturdy pointy thing, instead of trying to just push the insignia pins through.

Hopes this helps.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

GoofyOne

My mom got some black material, folded it, sewed the fold down and then hot glued the black fabric to the edge of the velcro on the shoulder board. 

It works a treat to take them of and on, no hastle whatsoever and you can't tell.  She is currently doing two other sets for cadets.

BuckeyeDEJ

There's an issue I've found with newer cadet captain insignia on the newer boards — the groove in the board isn't nearly long enough, and the grade insignia is too wide for the boards, to boot!

It just might be time to reconsider how cadet officer insignia is displayed on shoulder boards, if we're going to have craptastic incompatibility issues like that.

(It wasn't that way WIWAC....)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

IceNine

Attachment is simply pushing the full size metal grade insignia all the way through the board and putting on frogs or bending the pins over.

Taking them off is as easy as pulling them out and repeating the process.

??? Did they ever change the pin placement on the C/Maj. Insignia from the top and bottom (long points) to the side (short) points???

IF, they didn't change the pin placement you will probably end up buying 3 sets of boards.

One for C/2d Lt, one at C/Maj. and one at C/Lt Col. 

If they did change the pins you will probably buy 2 sets.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Al Sayre

For my daughter's, I chucked up a small finishing nail in my portable drill and after marking placement drilled small holes.  DO NOT use a drill bit, it will catch and tear the fabric.  A finishing nail has no groves to catch the fabric with.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

1LtNurseOfficer

Quote from: AvroArrow on September 24, 2009, 01:36:30 AM
Since the search button didn't give me much help, I had some questions for the cadet shoulder boards.

• The boards have velcro, so I can easily attach them to my shoulder. There is a detachable pad that the underside of the board 'clips' to. But how do I best attach the pad to the shoulder of the coat? And in case I'm in need to remove the pad onto another coat, what is the best way?
  • What is the best way to remove the metal grade (as to not leave noticeable holes or ruin the board and metal insignia)

If there's any good question I didn't ask, please share its answer (any good information helps!)

Next time you see her, ask C/Capt Temaat how she did hers.  I do know that I'm going to have to buy another set when she makes C/Maj.

majdomke

Since the sticky part of the Velcro won't last long if you are moving them from coat to coat, I would suggest buying some black sew-on Velcro and cutting to size. Then, sew to the top of the should on your coat(s). For my daughter I found an officers jacket on eBay for a reasonable price and just sewed the Velcro to its epaulets. As for getting the pins through the board, patience and trial and error. WIWAC in the 80's we had these stupid boards back then too. They drove us nuts then too so don't feel bad. About the only time we ever wore our service coats was for formal events anyhow so many never got the boards unless they attended one. Unless CAP can get service coats w/epaulets easily from the AF and for a reasonably price, there's really nothing else we can do for officer rank on the coats. If we could get them with epaulets easily and cheaply, I'd be all for the blue epaulets w/ rank on the service coats.

SilverEagle2

I wore my Dad's snap on versions when I made Mitchell  (FO) and above. I do not recall having any issues looking bad after going from C/Capt to C/Maj.

I will look at them tonight and see if there is evidence of the C/Capt holes. Incidentally. I did wear his C/LtCol Diamonds as well.

I only used one set of boards WIWAC.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: 1LtNurseOfficer on September 24, 2009, 04:36:58 PM
Quote from: AvroArrow on September 24, 2009, 01:36:30 AM

Next time you see her, ask C/Capt Temaat how she did hers.  I do know that I'm going to have to buy another set when she makes C/Maj.

Well, mom broke 2 needles sewing the Velcro onto my jacket. We snipped the pointy ends of the rank off the rank and hot glued it on to the board. The Velcro holds very nicely and the hot glue does as well (just make sure you don't get it caught on a corner). When I get to C/Maj (which should be here in a month and a half or so I think), I shouldn't have to get a new set because the blue hasn't run like we thought it would. The only downside to this set-up is when I get promoted, it has to be done in my blues instead of service dress as we cannot run a hot glue gun to the formation.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

majdomke

Yes, I had to use a heavy-duty needle on the sewing maching to get it sewed. You could always take to an alteration show and they can do on their own equipment.