Cel phone use on DoD Installations

Started by Eclipse, April 18, 2006, 07:24:57 PM

Eclipse

I just sent this out to my Group mailing list, thought I would get the word out here as well in time for encampment / airshow season as many of us will be scrambling around bases.

I'm not including an attachment referenced because I do not have the whole document, however the reference is to

Title 32: National Defense
PART 634-MOTOR VEHICLE TRAFFIC SUPERVISION

The important part, with regards to cel phone use:

"...(3) Driver distractions. Vehicle operators on a DoD Installation and operators of Government owned vehicles shall not use cell phones unless the vehicle is safely parked or unless they are using a hands-free device. The wearing of any other portable headphones, earphones, or other listening devices (except for hand-free cellular phones) while operating a motor vehicle is prohibited. Use of those devices impairs driving and masks or prevents recognition of emergency signals, alarms, announcements, the approach of vehicles, and human speech. DoD Component safety guidance should note the potential for driver distractions such as eating and drinking, operating radios, CD players, global positioning equipment, etc. Whenever possible this should only be done when the vehicle is safely parked..."

In addition, a recent CSAF Uniform board guideline issued the following:

x.  CELL PHONES, PAGERS AND PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT MUST BE SOLID OR COVERED IN BLACK, SILVER, DARK BLUE OR GRAY AND MUST BE CONSERVATIVE.  MAY BE CLIPPED TO THE LEFT SIDE OF WAIST BAND OR PURSE OR CARRIED IN LEFT HAND.
ONLY ONE MAY BE WORN ON THE UNIFORM BELT.  MEMBERS WILL NOT WALK IN UNIFORM WHILE USING CELL PHONES, RADIOS, HANDS-FREE HEADSETS UNLESS REQUIRED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF OFFICIAL DUTIES USING A GOVERNMENT ISSUED DEVISE. MAY ONLY USE HANDS-FREE HEADSETS OR EARPLUGS IN THE PERFORMANCE OF OFFICIAL DUTIES USING A GOVERNMENT ISSUED DEVICE.

As this was a CSAF guideline, not a CAP supplement, there is some discussion regarding whether the second one applies to us, however in the spirit of cooperation and affinity, at a minimum, we should assume it does whenever we are in a USAF-Style uniform.

Further, on NSGL for example, there are even stricter guidelines in some areas.  For example, at the McDonald's inside the NTC, cel phones are only allowed for use in the dining area, not the serving lines.

It has been presented to me by several parties, that the base police are taking this issue very seriously and are strictly enforcing these directives (at least at NSGL) YMMV.

"That Others May Zoom"

Becks

Yup, been that way for a while down here. If an MP see's you driving on base while on the cell phone its a pretty hefty fine.

BBATW

shorning

Hasn't this been posted here before?  Maybe it was only on CadetStuff.  Who knows...I've now got three CAP forums and one AF forum to try to keep up with.  I guess I should be pickier. ;D

Anyway, this is DoD policy that went into effect 1 Feb (IIRC).  I remember CAP chatter about it prior to that and immediately following.  Some bases are allowing use of "hands free" devices while others are not.  At my location there are bases from several services each with slight differences.  Easiest thing to do is not operate a cell phone while moving.  Either give it to a passenger or pull over.

md132

I got word of this two months ago from MD Military Department.  All MP's and DoD police are strictly enforcing this with NO exceptions no matter of rank or position on base.  Not sure what the fines would be though.

mikeylikey

The fine is 35 dollars and the costs are 115.  Grand total of $150.00  Thats for the Federal Posts and Bases.  National Guard facilities are a little different.  It depends on the state itself and how much they want to make from the law.  The LOOP HOLE, however is that National Guard Facilities are usually under State Control, and rarely does the Federal Government have and say on those facilities.  But, if your state is money hungry, it will enforce the Federal Guidelines just to make a quick buck, even if cell phone use is allowed while driving on that states roads.  The whole thing is ridiculous if you ask me.  They should prohibit, eating, drinking, listening to the radio and driving with any passangers while those are all distractions in themselves as well.
What's up monkeys?

Pylon

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 19, 2006, 01:24:15 PM
The fine is 35 dollars and the costs are 115.  Grand total of $150.00  Thats for the Federal Posts and Bases.  National Guard facilities are a little different.  It depends on the state itself and how much they want to make from the law.  The LOOP HOLE, however is that National Guard Facilities are usually under State Control, and rarely does the Federal Government have and say on those facilities.  But, if your state is money hungry, it will enforce the Federal Guidelines just to make a quick buck, even if cell phone use is allowed while driving on that states roads.  The whole thing is ridiculous if you ask me.  They should prohibit, eating, drinking, listening to the radio and driving with any passangers while those are all distractions in themselves as well.

Unless you're in states like New York where cell phone use by drivers without a hands-free device is prohibited for everyone.  In that case, you can't do it regardless of whose rules they want to follow -- state or federal.

I'm used to it here in New York, and I have to agree with the idea behind the law.  I see more people almost pull into me, run me off the road, or make stupid maneuvers when using the cell phone.  It doesn't mean you can't use it, just buy the stupid little hands-free set and you're good to go.  Simple as that.  Keep both hands where they should be -- driving the vehicle.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Within Chicago city limits is same law.

"That Others May Zoom"