Service Uniform Problem

Started by AvroArrow, January 01, 2009, 11:13:25 PM

AvroArrow

My shirt always untucks itself on the back.

I'll fix it, adjust it, and the back always comes out from my trousers and makes my shirt to be a balloon.  :-\

A guy I knew a long time ago used some kind of device that was elastic; it pulled your socks up and your shirt in, tucking it into your trousers efficiently. If this exists, does anyone know where I could get one/some?

Help  :o

jeders

They're called shirt garters or shirt stays and you can get the from Vanguard.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

AvroArrow

Quote from: jeders on January 01, 2009, 11:16:01 PM

Those might fix my problem then.

But if not, I should just get a new shirt or trousers or both, perhaps? :-\

DC

Quote from: AvroArrow on January 01, 2009, 11:26:59 PM

They will fix your problem, they are specifically designed to keep your shirt tucked in tight.

I try to get all of my cadets to wear them, they make the uniform look sooooo much better.

Also, a word of advise, make sure they are attached securely, they hurt like [heck] when they snap off.

I would highly recommend the shirt stays, but you also might look into an elastic belt, it will keep your pants tight around your waist, and help with the shirt riding up. It also holds your flight cap more securely when you have it tucked into your belt!

Eclipse

They will fix the problem.

Propely "installed" shirt garters will not let a shirt come untucked.

I prefer using 4 - 2 in front and 2 in back - I center them below the pockets in front and at the curve point of the shirt in back, in light with the ones in front.

I recommend attaching them t the shirt first while it is on the hanger.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: AvroArrow on January 01, 2009, 11:26:59 PM

They will fix the problem. A new shirt or new trousers wouldn't. There are also (at least) two types, there are the Y-shaped ones that have two snaps that clip onto the shirt and one to the sock and then there's the single which has one clip for the shirt and one for the sock. If you get the Y-shaped ones, you really only need 1 garter per side, but wearing two per side won't hurt. If you get the singles, then you need two per side.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

IceNine

Get the Garters, personal preference for me is the y-shaped ones.

One more word of advice... DO NOT buy the ones that go around your foot, get the ones with the slide clips on both ends.  The one's that go around your foot are painful at the end of the day.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

AlphaSigOU

I don't particularly care for shirt garters; I prefer the 'Ultimate Belt'.

Linky: http://www.leonuniform.com/alpro_ultimatebelt.htm

Or you can also use the 'Hidden Tailor'.

Linky: http://www.leonuniform.com/Hidden_Tailor.htm
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Timbo

Tuck the shirt into your boxers or briefs.

I think if a dress shirt rides up in the back then you may be wearing your pants too low on your waist.

Eclipse

Quote from: Timbo on January 02, 2009, 02:37:19 AM

I think if a dress shirt rides up in the back then you may be wearing your pants too low on your waist.

Yep, nothing looks better than the waistband of your shorts sticking out of your uniform trousers.   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Is this the new CCU (Cadet Corporate Uniform) that I've heard about?

NC Hokie

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 02, 2009, 03:19:05 AM
Is this the new CCU (Cadet Corporate Uniform) that I've heard about?

No, it's the result of cutbacks in the free cadet uniform program.  Mama Blue figured that if kids like to wear pants that way, they'd save money by shortening the inseam.

;D ;D ;D
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Gunner C

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on January 02, 2009, 01:26:58 AM
I don't particularly care for shirt garters; I prefer the 'Ultimate Belt'.

Linky: http://www.leonuniform.com/alpro_ultimatebelt.htm

Or you can also use the 'Hidden Tailor'.

Linky: http://www.leonuniform.com/Hidden_Tailor.htm

Looks like a torture device - all of the spikes sticking out.

About the shirt garters:  I've seen Marines using them, wrapping them around their legs 1/2 time (they are attached on the inboard side of the socks.)  I've tried to attached them straight down the leg to the socks but I'm pretty knock-kneed and it makes my pants leg look strange.

How do you folks do it?

Gunner

AvroArrow

I don't think so. If I were to bring my trousers any higher, I'd look, to say the least, like Urkel.

Eclipse

Quote from: Gunner C on January 02, 2009, 02:35:36 PM
How do you folks do it?

Straight down, two in front two in back...

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

It also happens if you have a long torso.

MSgt Van

I do the "half-wrap" to avoid the straight shot of elastic from making the pant leg look goofy.

Cecil DP

Quote from: MSgt Van on January 02, 2009, 10:47:53 PM
I do the "half-wrap" to avoid the straight shot of elastic from making the pant leg look goofy.
When I wore them I wrapped them to avoid the self inflicted vasectomy when they decided to let go by itself. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Timbo

Quote from: Cecil DP on January 02, 2009, 11:17:04 PM
When I wore them I wrapped them to avoid the self inflicted vasectomy when they decided to let go by itself. 

Wow.....lets not even think about stuff like that.  How bad would it be to know whats coming when you start to feel that first garter clip slipping off.  Ouch!!

DC

Quote from: Timbo on January 03, 2009, 12:33:55 AM
Quote from: Cecil DP on January 02, 2009, 11:17:04 PM

Wow.....lets not even think about stuff like that.  How bad would it be to know whats coming when you start to feel that first garter clip slipping off.  Ouch!!
BTDT, not fun..... I had both front ones pop within 10 minutes of each other once, OWWWW...