Main Menu

Flightsuit Stuff

Started by stratoflyer, September 25, 2008, 03:43:08 AM

stratoflyer

Alrighty then, I just got my flightsuit in the mail!! Now, on to buying the patches and stuff.

So, does all the stuff go on velcro to be attached? Anyone attach stuff directly to the suit?

My suit came with insignia directly embroidered onto the suit. Can't remove without tearing a whole. I thought about putting a square of OD velcro on it. I also got a big velcro circle on the right breast. Do I leave that and just put the command patch on?

The command patch from vanguard, does it come with the velcro on the back? The name tag, do I abbreviate 2Lt or 2LT? My name is first middle initial and last on the nametag right? Does vanguard know what pilot wings are or do I have to specify pilot wings basic?
I noticed too that the flag they sell in 2X3 in when the reg says 2X3.5? Is that a typo on vanguard's part?

I just want to look good in this thing since I waited a long time to find the right one at the right price. Hooah!
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

arajca

The majcom patrch comes with velcro. It goes on the right breast. If the velcro matches the flight suit, leave it.

Your grade is 2d Lt, not 2Lt.

Name is First MI Last or First Last

You need to specify which wings - Pilot, Senior Pilot, Command Pilot.

Don't forget the plastic encased grade for the shoulders.

Pylon

Quote from: stratoflyer on September 25, 2008, 03:43:08 AM
So, does all the stuff go on velcro to be attached? Anyone attach stuff directly to the suit?

I highly recommend not sewing directly to the flight suit.  Patches can be swapped easily, removed before washing, etc. when you use velcro.  In addition, the AF doesn't sew anything directly to the flight suit except for their rank insignia.  Even just for professional appearance's sake, it makes sense to follow the way USAF does it when we wear the USAF-style flight suit. 

Get some of the "soft" or "loop" style velcro in sage/OD green and sew it on your flight suit where you need to put patches.  Flight suit patches (flag, nametag, command patch, etc.) usually come with the "hard" or "hook" side velcro already sewn to them.  If you need some for your squadron/wing patch, a craft store should have some with adhesive backing to cut-to-size for your patch and stick to it.

My suit came with insignia directly embroidered onto the suit. Can't remove without tearing a whole. I thought about putting a square of OD velcro on it. I also got a big velcro circle on the right breast. Do I leave that and just put the command patch on?

What's embroidered directly onto the suit??  Somone's wings and name, or their grade insignia?  Never heard of that one before.

As for the velcro circle -- the command patch used to be a round CAP seal patch until about 2003.  You could stick the command patch right to that, or you could swap out the circle velcro for shield-shaped velcro.  Personal preference will dictate.  Try it with the circle velcro and see how it looks and how well it holds.

The command patch from vanguard, does it come with the velcro on the back?

Yes.

The name tag, do I abbreviate 2Lt or 2LT?

Though Vanguard or the other manufacturer will usually pick the way they abbreviate your grade, the official abbreviation for Second Lieutenant in CAP and the USAF is "2d Lt"

My name is first middle initial and last on the nametag right?
Not specified other than "no nicknames".  Your personal preference.

Does vanguard know what pilot wings are or do I have to specify pilot wings basic?

Don't leave anything for Vanguard to assume or figure out on their own.  They're generally not capable of handling small decisions without small disasters.  Specify the type of wings and the level, so "Basic CAP Pilot Wings" or "Senior CAP Observer Wings", etc.

I noticed too that the flag they sell in 2X3 in when the reg says 2X3.5? Is that a typo on vanguard's part?

Probably not a typo, but nobody is going to be measuring the flag on your flight suit.  The reg wrote that in so you don't end up with the 3" x 5" flag patches or some miniature version or something. 

Good luck!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Velcro - the AF uses it to enable those who need a means of sanitizing the suit. This is not a CAP requirement, but I h9ghly recommend doing it. It does preserve your patches from laundry damage.

Velcro is available in black and sage green from Vanguard, and it's about the cheapest price I've found. $1.25 fora 4" x 12" piece is cheap. I recommend NOT using sticky Velcro on anything. If you don't sew it, the adhesive will eventually fail, usually at a very inopportune time. If you sew it, why have the adhesive in the first place. It's much more expensive, too.

Vanguard - I HIGHLY recommend sending a paper order form in the mail for personalized items.

Plastic rank - sew it directly onto the bag. It makes all the sewing much less tedious. I speak from experience - I've done all my CAP sewing since I was 15, except for rank on the service dress blue coat.

Gluing the rank to Velcro doesn't work well - most clear adhesives will attack the plastic, or not adhere well to the Velcro. Sewing the rank to the Velcro is too tedious.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

When in doubt, check out my unofficial guide for wearing the CAP flight suit/utility uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

scooter

If you have access to a military installation, you can go to the base PX laundry/tailor. They usually have someone who is an expert at sewing velcro on flight suits and patches. Highly recommend the velcoo option.

alamrcn

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 25, 2008, 11:37:29 AM
When in doubt, check out my unofficial guide for wearing the CAP flight suit/utility uniform.

How many more of these suckers do you have?  :clap:

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: alamrcn on September 25, 2008, 02:08:51 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 25, 2008, 11:37:29 AM

How many more of these suckers do you have?  :clap:

This should be the latest edition...  ;D That's if there's no ICL on the flight suit/utility uniform I missed... I've got one for the corporate service uniform and working on one for the AF-style uniform. BDU/DFU coming one of these days. Also have one for ribbon wear.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

I'd still like to know what's embroidered right on the suit.  Pics?

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Eclipse on September 25, 2008, 02:45:30 PM
I'd still like to know what's embroidered right on the suit.  Pics?

Only the grade insignia and the pile side velcro. Hook side velcro is sewn to the patch.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

IceNine

^^ I'm guessing it was just a slight mis speak.

It was probably an AF flight suit, it would have embroidered insignia sewn to it, instead of the plastic.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: IceNine on September 25, 2008, 03:57:14 PM

It was probably an AF flight suit, it would have embroidered insignia sewn to it, instead of the plastic.

No biggie... at the mission in West Houston I saw several 'unauthorized' variations of grade insignia worn; some wore AF subdued blue (now there were a couple of RealAirForce® types there, so they're OK), one wore bright on sage green, and another wore bright on dark blue with the green bag. The bright on dark blue actually doesn't look too bad, and it might satisfy the AF's desire to make us distinctive while retiring plastic encased grade.

Some of the OK Wing contingent wore blue flight suits that were about a shade lighter than the current navy blue. May have been through plenty of washes...  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

More likely a Navy flight suit. I have seen more then a few Navy pilots/aircrew with their name and wings embroidered directly on the flight suit.

Smokey

Velcro is the way to go.....it keeps the patches crisp looking  from fading during laudering.  I also have a variety of patches I can wear on the right shoulder (Wing, Squadron, AFRCC SAR Graduate, Shuttle Recovery, ARCHER) and I change them dependant on the mission.

I've got the embroidered grade on two of my zoom bags as the plastic trash ones were not available for so long. My third one has the plastic stuff. The bad thing about sewing the plastic grade on is that moisture can get inside and they fall apart. (the insignia is not metal inside there)
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Eclipse

Quote from: Smokey on September 25, 2008, 07:32:27 PM
I've got the embroidered grade on two of my zoom bags as the plastic trash ones were not available for so long.

On a green one?

"That Others May Zoom"

Smokey

On the green one.yes.........it was either that or no grade insignia since the stoopid geeky plastic ones were not avaiable from eithe vanguard or the Hock for a long time.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Eclipse

Then no grade insignia would have been a better choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

mine has no grade on it & still says Capt on the leather name patch, even though I've been a Maj for almost 2 yrs. I don't wear it much since I haven't been flying in a while and am not current as an MO, but I did just order all the right stuff to get it squared away.

I saw all the same stuff mentioned by chuck above. I thought the full color on OD background really looked the best. The bigger thing I saw were a lot of wrong patches & in the wrong places. A lot of command patches were replaced with Gp patches. A lot of AF Aux command patches still around (that's what's still on mine too). Even the IC as of today was wearing a flag on the wrong shoulder & AF Aux cmd patch. Not saying any of that is right, just that it's there.

O-Rex

Stratoflyer:

I hope the ebay links I sent you paid off. . . . .

Call me on my cell-I have a new lead on nametags: 4 for $20.00.

Eclipse

You don't even need to call me, use http://letsallpretendnooneknowswhere.com

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

I already sent that by PM, rather than posting it all over. I know NHQ knows about it, but quietly lets it get by cause they do it right versus crappy vanguard, but it violates the contract with vanguard & a lot of noise about that will force them to shut it down.

O-Rex

Eclipse:

You might want to refrain from posting links like that: you don't know who reads these posts, and some of the vendors received C&D letters from NHQ legal after bloggers posted  links . . . .

It's disappointing to call a company that makes a great quality product at a bargain price to place an order and hear "We've been told we can no longer sell CAP emblem items..."

That's why we PM or call each other for the info.

Please consider retracting the post.

Thanks.

Eclipse

As mentioned countless times before - NHQ staffers have the internet just like everyone else, and Google works there, too.

letsallpretendnooneknowswhere.com was a sponsor of the GLR Region conference this past year, so any silliness like we're hiding a vendor
from NHQ is just that, silly.

NHQ will or won't take action with these vendors based on factors other than whether they are mentioned here.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

As relayed to me by a legal officer with knowledge of the issue:

The mentioned vendor is a subsidiary of a certain nametape vendor. The primary company DID get a C&D letter and no longer sells CAP items (minus the work around). NHQ believes this applies to the subsidiary as well, the subsidiary knows nothing about it & would just assume not be informed otherwise. Most folks in CAP (including leadership) would like to keep it that way, cause this vendor is outstanding in their work/service and reasonable in price. However, it does clearly violate the contract CAP has with Vanguard. Therefore, this is one of those unspoken things that everyone knows about.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: PHall on September 25, 2008, 04:45:00 PM

More likely a Navy flight suit. I have seen more then a few Navy pilots/aircrew with their name and wings embroidered directly on the flight suit.

That would explain the round velcro patch on the right where the command patch should be.
Another former CAP officer

DNall

O-Rex

One of the companies that did receive a C&D letter is Williams & Williams, also known as www.nametags4u.com

Although they don't make CAP items anymore, they sell various sizes and shapes of velcro, in a few colors, including foliage green, which is perfect for flightsuits (even better than the standard OD green.)

PHall

Quote from: O-Rex on September 28, 2008, 10:46:15 PM
One of the companies that did receive a C&D letter is Williams & Williams, also known as www.nametags4u.com

Although they don't make CAP items anymore, they sell various sizes and shapes of velcro, in a few colors, including foliage green, which is perfect for flightsuits (even better than the standard OD green.)

Actually, you want SAGE GREEN if you want to match the green flight suit.

O-Rex

Quote from: PHall on September 28, 2008, 11:23:06 PM

'Foliage' IS sage green.  8)

Incidentally, I got some full-color-on-green sew on rank, and sewed to velcro (I velcro-on my flightsuit rank)  I looks GOOD, and in no way could be confused with USAF.  Let's can the 'short-shorts,' and make a flight uniform change that is professional-looking and easy on the wallet.

PHall

Quote from: O-Rex on September 29, 2008, 01:04:13 PM
Quote from: PHall on September 28, 2008, 11:23:06 PM

'Foliage' IS sage green.  8)

Incidentally, I got some full-color-on-green sew on rank, and sewed to velcro (I velcro-on my flightsuit rank)  I looks GOOD, and in no way could be confused with USAF.  Let's can the 'short-shorts,' and make a flight uniform change that is professional-looking and easy on the wallet.

Well, Sage Green is what they, they being the military supply system,  call the color of the green flight suits.
Don't believe me, take a look at the label in your flight suit sometime.

Plus  Foliage is more of a  Grey-green. It's the background color for the ACU.

blackrain

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 25, 2008, 04:07:58 PM

No biggie... at the mission in West Houston I saw several 'unauthorized' variations of grade insignia worn; some wore AF subdued blue (now there were a couple of RealAirForce® types there, so they're OK), one wore bright on sage green, and another wore bright on dark blue with the green bag. The bright on dark blue actually doesn't look too bad, and it might satisfy the AF's desire to make us distinctive while retiring plastic encased grade.

Some of the OK Wing contingent wore blue flight suits that were about a shade lighter than the current navy blue. May have been through plenty of washes...  ;D

Anybody know if they are going to allow the bright on dark blue as a sew on for the green bag. I have both the blue and green suits and sewing the same on both would be a lot simpler. Plastic encased is the worst for snagging  on any kind of over shoulder strap.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: blackrain on September 30, 2008, 08:55:50 AMAnybody know if they are going to allow the bright on dark blue as a sew on for the green bag. I have both the blue and green suits and sewing the same on both would be a lot simpler. Plastic encased is the worst for snagging  on any kind of over shoulder strap.

It's not been taken up with the CAP National Board. Don't hold your breath expecting quick approval from the RealAirForce®. Though I've already seen some who have taken matters into their own hands and used the bright on dark blue cloth grade insignia on the green bag. It doesn't look bad but it is unauthorized. Likewise, bright on OD cloth is also unauthorized on the green bag.

Subdued RealAirForce® blue/brown on OD - that'll never happen for Ma Blue's red-headed stepchildren.  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DNall

Any uniform change, particularly to AF-style uniforms, takes at least a year to get done, and can be 3-4 years. that\'s if everyone in the process approves. You can complain about that process - everyone else does - but it\'s what we got... SO, no, color on blue background is not fixing to be authorized on the green flight suit for quite a while.

blackrain

Quote from: DNall on October 01, 2008, 12:55:23 AM
Any uniform change, particularly to AF-style uniforms, takes at least a year to get done, and can be 3-4 years. that\'s if everyone in the process approves. You can complain about that process - everyone else does - but it\'s what we got... SO, no, color on blue background is not fixing to be authorized on the green flight suit for quite a while.

True. Nothing in the military approval process happens quickly. It's funny but we have a large number of private security companies who use the Sage Green flight suit as a normal duty uniform on convoys given the threat from IEDs, car bombs and the obvious post blast fire hazard. They put all manner of patches and insignia on it. I'm suprised Big Blue isn't suing for copyright infringment ;D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

DNall

they aren't governed by the AF, the AF is not by law charged with oversight of them, nor is any of their clothing protected by law as a military uniform for which wearing when not authorized constitutes a federal crime of imitating an officer/member of the military or one of it's designated auxiliaries.   

changing an official uniform of the united states is somewhat different than some yahoo civilian doing what they feel like without oversight.

O-Rex

This may seem a little "out there," but I've come across some pretty creative folks on these threads:

Given the shortage of plastic-encased ranks, with no relief or change in the near future, has anyone tried to make them?

When you look that them, they are little more than rank sealed in some kind of heat-bonded clear vinyl sheeting. 

I was thinking that even if you didn't the ability to "heat-bond" the plastic, one could probably pin actual metal rank to piece of velcro, bend back sew a square of flexible durable clear plastic and velcro it onto the suit (don't have to worry about sweat condensation, doesn't happen when you velcro the rank.)

Anyway, you all get the idea... 

Has anyone been successful in making something that DIDN'T look home made?

jimmydeanno

I was thinking about just buying some metal grade insignia and some 12 mil vinyl.  Cut the vinyl to size (only one piece (no sandwich)) sew it on three sides.  Slide the metal insignia in, sew the fourth side.  It would leave the underside open so you wouldn't get the greenhouse affect...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

O-Rex

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 01, 2008, 08:23:32 PM
I was thinking about just buying some metal grade insignia and some 12 mil vinyl.  Cut the vinyl to size (only one piece (no sandwich)) sew it on three sides.  Slide the metal insignia in, sew the fourth side.  It would leave the underside open so you wouldn't get the greenhouse affect...

Exactly!

Great minds think alike: where do you get 12 mil clear vinyl?

(see, I know someone would come up with something  ;D)

Tags - MIKE

MIKE

You'd need 2 pairs of 1st Lt bars to make one set of Capt bars that would sneak by.  Not sure if there is a size difference either.
Mike Johnston

jimmydeanno

Quote from: O-Rex on October 01, 2008, 08:53:44 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 01, 2008, 08:23:32 PM

Exactly!

Great minds think alike: where do you get 12 mil clear vinyl?

(see, I know someone would come up with something  ;D)

Tags - MIKE

I'm pretty sure you can get it at any fabric store, I haven't actually went and aquired the pieces yet to see if it's feasible...

Isn't it what all those people put on their couch to make sure no one spills anything on it?  ;D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

O-Rex

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 01, 2008, 11:00:24 PM
Isn't it what all those people put on their couch to make sure no one spills anything on it?  ;D

Hmmmm.

I forsee neighbors perplexed about the mysterious one-inch square holes in the plastic fabric protectors on their furniture......   ;)

blackrain

Quote from: DNall on October 01, 2008, 04:24:24 PM
they aren't governed by the AF, the AF is not by law charged with oversight of them, nor is any of their clothing protected by law as a military uniform for which wearing when not authorized constitutes a federal crime of imitating an officer/member of the military or one of it's designated auxiliaries.   

changing an official uniform of the united states is somewhat different than some yahoo civilian doing what they feel like without oversight.

My point was that unlike say the ABU/ACU the sage green flight suit has essentially become generic and wouldn't in and of itself say someone is a military member. I say approve a distinctive sew on rank (say bright on dark blue)and be done. If your close enough to see and identify plastic rank then you're close enough to indentify the bright on dark blue. Though admittedly slight the plastic insignia does pose more of a FOD hazard in addition to all the other headaches of its use.

On a side note the individuals wearing the Sage Green bag are providing a valuable service guarding our LOGPACS and are only trying to protect themselves from a very real fire hazard. They aren't looking to be mistaken for military. My CO got second degree burns from a car bomb in 2005 and he's lucky it wasn't worse.

DNall

^BDUs are pretty generic now, that doesn't mean affiliated orgs can do things cause they want to, good idea or not.

Also, A2CUs would be a better choice for that enviro, but prob not for contractors.

And, vanguard has the stuff in stock again, at least they said so before I just ordered some.

Finally, I understand sew on cloth grade would be a much better option. I know that's being worked on above my pay grade. Either it'll happen or it won't, but it won't be in the next few months. So, put on the plastic stuff that is again available, and then hope things change in the future.

O-Rex

Okay, after a bit of experimentation:

HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN PLASTIC-ENCASED FLIGHTSUIT RANK

You will need:

metal rank (use two 1st Lt bars for Capt)

10-gauge (12 if you can find it) mildew-proof clear plastic shower curtain (available at any linen/bath shop, Wal-Mart, K-Mart etc.)  it comes 72" x72", so you'll have a lifetime supply.

Heat source: high-heat blow dryer is adequate, if using an open flame, exercise extreme caution (trust me on this one!)

1. Snip prongs off rank, file or dremel until flush

2. Cut squares out of the plastic.  make them larger than you intend to use to you can trim later. 

3. Place rank between two squares of plastic, press out the 'air bubbles' (much like laminating)

4. blow-dry or place edges near heat source. work the plastic from the edges to the actual rank itself.  If the plastic becomes 'wavy' don't worry, it will smooth out when it cools.

5. Trim to fit.

If done right, it will look like you got it from Vanguard!  (For added realism, when finished, put them away for several weeks.  ;) )

DISCLAIMER: I have not done any extensive wear or wash-testing, and I do not guarantee that the rank will be watertight in the wash if sewn directly to a flightsuit.  I highly recommend velcro-ing the rank to the flightsuit. Spacing - MIKE

DNall

^or you can order them from vanguard as they are now avail.

Then wait it out till cloth gets approved. While this will certainly take several more months, I do believe it'll be happening before most of us get promoted again.

CAPLAW

O-Rex

Quote from: DNall on October 04, 2008, 02:56:33 AM
^or you can order them from vanguard as they are now avail.

Then wait it out till cloth gets approved. While this will certainly take several more months, I do believe it'll be happening before most of us get promoted again.

It was just one of those "let's see if I could do it" things......

I reach "terminal rank" in Feb 09, at which time I hope the NB will authorize tattoos in lieu of pastic-encased rank.

Seriously, I don't see what all the hoopla is to get color sew-on rank approved...

Eclipse

To bring this full circle, I finished watching the DVD of Carrier this week, and sure enough, a lot of the Navy aircrews had their grade insignia embroidered directly onto the flightsuit.  I have to say, it looked pretty good.  Now that I think about it, the grade wasn't subdued on the green flightsuits, either, interesting...

"That Others May Zoom"

blackrain

DNall, you may know this or anyone else for that matter. I bought the heavy 6 oz nomex dark blue suit from Flightsuit Ltd. What is the standard issue Sage Green suit use? 4.5 oz nomex? Also, what is the weight of the dark blue suit Vanguard sells? In the end I went with Flightsuits Ltd because I could specifically order the heavier material AND it was cheaper than Vanguard. Though admittedly not cheap. Go figure. Finally Flightsuits Ltd has a distinct reputation for quality.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on October 04, 2008, 03:35:55 AM
Now that I think about it, the grade wasn't subdued on the green flightsuits, either, interesting...

Those crazy Navy guys wear full color insignia on their flightsuits.  The AF guys wear the subdued.

NAVY Lieutenant - also notice the nice embroidered edge.

Air Force Captain

O-Rex

Quote from: blackrain on October 04, 2008, 06:12:48 AM
DNall, you may know this or anyone else for that matter. I bought the heavy 6 oz nomex dark blue suit from Flightsuit Ltd. What is the standard issue Sage Green suit use? 4.5 oz nomex? Also, what is the weight of the dark blue suit Vanguard sells? In the end I went with Flightsuits Ltd because I could specifically order the heavier material AND it was cheaper than Vanguard. Though admittedly not cheap. Go figure. Finally Flightsuits Ltd has a distinct reputation for quality.

Mil-spec Nomex is 4.5

I got a 5 oz Blue nomex suit from Aureus Int'l for just under $200 (!)

Very happy with it.

I bought other items from Flightsuits Ltd., their cust service is great.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 04, 2008, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 04, 2008, 03:35:55 AM
Now that I think about it, the grade wasn't subdued on the green flightsuits, either, interesting...

Those crazy Navy guys wear full color insignia on their flightsuits.  The AF guys wear the subdued.

NAVY Lieutenant - also notice the nice embroidered edge.

Air Force Captain

Notice that the Squiddie (runs for cover...  ;D) grade insignia is slightly different in design than that of the Air Force/Army. The connecting ties on the Navy lieutenant (USMC captain) are placed toward the edge of the bar, where USAF captain's bars have the ties a little closer in.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

blackrain

Quote from: O-Rex on October 04, 2008, 02:00:04 PM
Quote from: blackrain on October 04, 2008, 06:12:48 AM

Mil-spec Nomex is 4.5

I got a 5 oz Blue nomex suit from Aureus Int'l for just under $200 (!)

Very happy with it.

I bought other items from Flightsuits Ltd., their cust service is great.

I ordered my blue one and insignia/patches for it over the summer and had it sent to my home. Haven't even worn it yet. I'm getting out of here and home myself in the near future. Can't begin to tell you how glad I am.  ;D

O-Rex

I thought about buying the heavyweight flightsuit, and even got cloth swatches from Flightsuits, inc (gotta love their cust svc!)  the 6.0 is heavy, the weave is tight, seems like it would last forever (!) but it just gets too hot here if FL.

Those of you who get new or near-new flightsuits with the pen pocket-flap still on it: do you cut them off?  Most AF folks do.  Those versions came out in the late 80's, and we used to cut them off, leaving the little 1X2 Velcro piece on the pen-pocket, hence the birth of morale patches.  I never liked the flap, as it tended to catch on stuff, not to mention that you had to mess with it every time you needed your pen.  Now I just cut them off, and use the material for a pen-pocket on the lower right pant pocket, if the flightsuit doesn't already have one.

I know this is straying a little, but what are anyone's experiences with the Vanguard blue utility uniform? (the blue poly-cotton flightsuit)  I know of one guy who has one, and it looked pretty faded. . .

DNall

Quote from: O-Rex on October 05, 2008, 01:11:12 PM
I thought about buying the heavyweight flightsuit, and even got cloth swatches from Flightsuits, inc (gotta love their cust svc!)  the 6.0 is heavy, the weave is tight, seems like it would last forever (!) but it just gets too hot here if FL.

Those of you who get new or near-new flightsuits with the pen pocket-flap still on it: do you cut them off?  Most AF folks do. 

I know this is straying a little, but what are anyone's experiences with the Vanguard blue utility uniform? (the blue poly-cotton flightsuit)  I know of one guy who has one, and it looked pretty faded. . .

Also too hot in TX, plus able to get good quality lightly used ones.

Yes cut it off.

Looks fine when new/correct, but yeah it fades out. And, I don't really see the point of a flight suit type uniform that isn't nomex.

blackrain

I agree the heavier weight is hotter to wear and that was the one thing I considered as a down side. I was on TCPs (traffic control points) some this summer and we hit 120 degrees plus a few times especially standing on pavement. I'll admit with the body armor I was as hot and miserable as I've ever been in my life. Hopefully I'm done doing that. As long as I drank water I did OK though. I figured the flight suit will give a least a little more airflow than snug fitting IBA. In the end I'm willing to put up with some lack of comfort when wearing PPE.

I also agree that a flightsuit like uniform not made of nomex doesn't make a lot of sense. I saw a video of a similar suit made out of cotton being flame tested on a special mannequin and it burned pretty quickly leaving what the researcher said would have been 3rd degree burns on a human.

Everything is a trade off in one way or another.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: O-Rex on October 05, 2008, 01:11:12 PMI know this is straying a little, but what are anyone's experiences with the Vanguard blue utility uniform? (the blue poly-cotton flightsuit)  I know of one guy who has one, and it looked pretty faded. . .

The Vanguard/Hock Shop utility uniform coverall is made by Rothco; quality ain't that great. If you want one that is made of a heavier material, buy the ones made by Tru-Spec. Over time, they will fade and shrink from many washings but that's par for poly-cotton.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

O-Rex

Blackrain: how was the fit of your flightsuit?  When I got my blue nomex, I found that commercial flightsuit sizes run just a tad smaller than military.

I found a Navy blue 100% poly SAC Missile Crew jumpsuit on ebay: looks almost identical to a flightsuit except for the pen-pocket on the upper left sleeve (there's no zipper) and no thigh pockets.  It has perma-creases in the leg, and doesn't have the shoulder reinforcements that a F/S does.

I picked it up real cheap, and figured it would make a good "mission base uniform," but I sure wouldn't fly in it.  Once in a while they list them on ebay under 'SAC coveralls' or "SAC flightsuit," if anyone is so inclined.

Does anyone remember the first version of the utility uniform, the ones that sold for 20?  They were absolutely horrible! 

ALSO, flighthelmet.com is selling NEW flightsuits for $130 (!)  That's almost dealer-pricing.  Sizes are limited, though.

blackrain

Quote from: O-Rex on October 06, 2008, 12:39:25 PM
Blackrain: how was the fit of your flightsuit?  When I got my blue nomex, I found that commercial flightsuit sizes run just a tad smaller than military.

I found a Navy blue 100% poly SAC Missile Crew jumpsuit on ebay: looks almost identical to a flightsuit except for the pen-pocket on the upper left sleeve (there's no zipper) and no thigh pockets.  It has perma-creases in the leg, and doesn't have the shoulder reinforcements that a F/S does.

I picked it up real cheap, and figured it would make a good "mission base uniform," but I sure wouldn't fly in it.  Once in a while they list them on ebay under 'SAC coveralls' or "SAC flightsuit," if anyone is so inclined.

Does anyone remember the first version of the utility uniform, the ones that sold for 20?  They were absolutely horrible! 

ALSO, flighthelmet.com is selling NEW flightsuits for $130 (!)  That's almost dealer-pricing.  Sizes are limited, though.

Quick reply. My internet access will be sporadic the next few days. I ordered the blue suit this summer and had it sent home so I haven't had a chance to try it on yet. My family sent me a picture of my green 44R next to my blue 44R and it appears the blue is actually slightly larger. Different manufacturers I guess