Main Menu

Flightsuit Stuff

Started by stratoflyer, September 25, 2008, 03:43:08 AM

stratoflyer

Alrighty then, I just got my flightsuit in the mail!! Now, on to buying the patches and stuff.

So, does all the stuff go on velcro to be attached? Anyone attach stuff directly to the suit?

My suit came with insignia directly embroidered onto the suit. Can't remove without tearing a whole. I thought about putting a square of OD velcro on it. I also got a big velcro circle on the right breast. Do I leave that and just put the command patch on?

The command patch from vanguard, does it come with the velcro on the back? The name tag, do I abbreviate 2Lt or 2LT? My name is first middle initial and last on the nametag right? Does vanguard know what pilot wings are or do I have to specify pilot wings basic?
I noticed too that the flag they sell in 2X3 in when the reg says 2X3.5? Is that a typo on vanguard's part?

I just want to look good in this thing since I waited a long time to find the right one at the right price. Hooah!
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

arajca

The majcom patrch comes with velcro. It goes on the right breast. If the velcro matches the flight suit, leave it.

Your grade is 2d Lt, not 2Lt.

Name is First MI Last or First Last

You need to specify which wings - Pilot, Senior Pilot, Command Pilot.

Don't forget the plastic encased grade for the shoulders.

Pylon

Quote from: stratoflyer on September 25, 2008, 03:43:08 AM
So, does all the stuff go on velcro to be attached? Anyone attach stuff directly to the suit?

I highly recommend not sewing directly to the flight suit.  Patches can be swapped easily, removed before washing, etc. when you use velcro.  In addition, the AF doesn't sew anything directly to the flight suit except for their rank insignia.  Even just for professional appearance's sake, it makes sense to follow the way USAF does it when we wear the USAF-style flight suit. 

Get some of the "soft" or "loop" style velcro in sage/OD green and sew it on your flight suit where you need to put patches.  Flight suit patches (flag, nametag, command patch, etc.) usually come with the "hard" or "hook" side velcro already sewn to them.  If you need some for your squadron/wing patch, a craft store should have some with adhesive backing to cut-to-size for your patch and stick to it.

My suit came with insignia directly embroidered onto the suit. Can't remove without tearing a whole. I thought about putting a square of OD velcro on it. I also got a big velcro circle on the right breast. Do I leave that and just put the command patch on?

What's embroidered directly onto the suit??  Somone's wings and name, or their grade insignia?  Never heard of that one before.

As for the velcro circle -- the command patch used to be a round CAP seal patch until about 2003.  You could stick the command patch right to that, or you could swap out the circle velcro for shield-shaped velcro.  Personal preference will dictate.  Try it with the circle velcro and see how it looks and how well it holds.

The command patch from vanguard, does it come with the velcro on the back?

Yes.

The name tag, do I abbreviate 2Lt or 2LT?

Though Vanguard or the other manufacturer will usually pick the way they abbreviate your grade, the official abbreviation for Second Lieutenant in CAP and the USAF is "2d Lt"

My name is first middle initial and last on the nametag right?
Not specified other than "no nicknames".  Your personal preference.

Does vanguard know what pilot wings are or do I have to specify pilot wings basic?

Don't leave anything for Vanguard to assume or figure out on their own.  They're generally not capable of handling small decisions without small disasters.  Specify the type of wings and the level, so "Basic CAP Pilot Wings" or "Senior CAP Observer Wings", etc.

I noticed too that the flag they sell in 2X3 in when the reg says 2X3.5? Is that a typo on vanguard's part?

Probably not a typo, but nobody is going to be measuring the flag on your flight suit.  The reg wrote that in so you don't end up with the 3" x 5" flag patches or some miniature version or something. 

Good luck!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

SarDragon

Velcro - the AF uses it to enable those who need a means of sanitizing the suit. This is not a CAP requirement, but I h9ghly recommend doing it. It does preserve your patches from laundry damage.

Velcro is available in black and sage green from Vanguard, and it's about the cheapest price I've found. $1.25 fora 4" x 12" piece is cheap. I recommend NOT using sticky Velcro on anything. If you don't sew it, the adhesive will eventually fail, usually at a very inopportune time. If you sew it, why have the adhesive in the first place. It's much more expensive, too.

Vanguard - I HIGHLY recommend sending a paper order form in the mail for personalized items.

Plastic rank - sew it directly onto the bag. It makes all the sewing much less tedious. I speak from experience - I've done all my CAP sewing since I was 15, except for rank on the service dress blue coat.

Gluing the rank to Velcro doesn't work well - most clear adhesives will attack the plastic, or not adhere well to the Velcro. Sewing the rank to the Velcro is too tedious.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

When in doubt, check out my unofficial guide for wearing the CAP flight suit/utility uniform.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

scooter

If you have access to a military installation, you can go to the base PX laundry/tailor. They usually have someone who is an expert at sewing velcro on flight suits and patches. Highly recommend the velcoo option.

alamrcn

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 25, 2008, 11:37:29 AM
When in doubt, check out my unofficial guide for wearing the CAP flight suit/utility uniform.

How many more of these suckers do you have?  :clap:

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: alamrcn on September 25, 2008, 02:08:51 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 25, 2008, 11:37:29 AM

How many more of these suckers do you have?  :clap:

This should be the latest edition...  ;D That's if there's no ICL on the flight suit/utility uniform I missed... I've got one for the corporate service uniform and working on one for the AF-style uniform. BDU/DFU coming one of these days. Also have one for ribbon wear.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

I'd still like to know what's embroidered right on the suit.  Pics?

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Eclipse on September 25, 2008, 02:45:30 PM
I'd still like to know what's embroidered right on the suit.  Pics?

Only the grade insignia and the pile side velcro. Hook side velcro is sewn to the patch.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

IceNine

^^ I'm guessing it was just a slight mis speak.

It was probably an AF flight suit, it would have embroidered insignia sewn to it, instead of the plastic.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: IceNine on September 25, 2008, 03:57:14 PM

It was probably an AF flight suit, it would have embroidered insignia sewn to it, instead of the plastic.

No biggie... at the mission in West Houston I saw several 'unauthorized' variations of grade insignia worn; some wore AF subdued blue (now there were a couple of RealAirForce® types there, so they're OK), one wore bright on sage green, and another wore bright on dark blue with the green bag. The bright on dark blue actually doesn't look too bad, and it might satisfy the AF's desire to make us distinctive while retiring plastic encased grade.

Some of the OK Wing contingent wore blue flight suits that were about a shade lighter than the current navy blue. May have been through plenty of washes...  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Quote from: IceNine on September 25, 2008, 03:57:14 PM

More likely a Navy flight suit. I have seen more then a few Navy pilots/aircrew with their name and wings embroidered directly on the flight suit.

Smokey

Velcro is the way to go.....it keeps the patches crisp looking  from fading during laudering.  I also have a variety of patches I can wear on the right shoulder (Wing, Squadron, AFRCC SAR Graduate, Shuttle Recovery, ARCHER) and I change them dependant on the mission.

I've got the embroidered grade on two of my zoom bags as the plastic trash ones were not available for so long. My third one has the plastic stuff. The bad thing about sewing the plastic grade on is that moisture can get inside and they fall apart. (the insignia is not metal inside there)
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Eclipse

Quote from: Smokey on September 25, 2008, 07:32:27 PM
I've got the embroidered grade on two of my zoom bags as the plastic trash ones were not available for so long.

On a green one?

"That Others May Zoom"

Smokey

On the green one.yes.........it was either that or no grade insignia since the stoopid geeky plastic ones were not avaiable from eithe vanguard or the Hock for a long time.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Eclipse

Then no grade insignia would have been a better choice.

"That Others May Zoom"

DNall

mine has no grade on it & still says Capt on the leather name patch, even though I've been a Maj for almost 2 yrs. I don't wear it much since I haven't been flying in a while and am not current as an MO, but I did just order all the right stuff to get it squared away.

I saw all the same stuff mentioned by chuck above. I thought the full color on OD background really looked the best. The bigger thing I saw were a lot of wrong patches & in the wrong places. A lot of command patches were replaced with Gp patches. A lot of AF Aux command patches still around (that's what's still on mine too). Even the IC as of today was wearing a flag on the wrong shoulder & AF Aux cmd patch. Not saying any of that is right, just that it's there.

O-Rex

Stratoflyer:

I hope the ebay links I sent you paid off. . . . .

Call me on my cell-I have a new lead on nametags: 4 for $20.00.

Eclipse

You don't even need to call me, use http://letsallpretendnooneknowswhere.com

"That Others May Zoom"