Wolly-Pully Sleeves

Started by Pylon, August 10, 2007, 08:06:39 PM

Pylon

As I get ready for Fall and start evaluating my cooler-weather uniform items, I've discovered my ol' wolly-pully that warms you fully (thanks Tedd ;) ).   How many others have found that the wolly-pully USAF sweater fits nicely, except that the sleeves are ridiculously long?

I currently have a size 40, which fits my torso perfectly - any more and I'd begin to look baggy, any smaller and it'd start to look like spandex.  But the sleeves are about 8" too long, and I've got quite long arms.  This is my second wolly-pully and both had ridiculously long sleeves. 

Question #1 is: has anybody found wolly-pully sweaters where the sleeves are normal length?   

Question #2 is: do you think this is alterable?

Question #3 is: for those who have sweaters with longer-than-needed sleeves, what have you done to mitigate it while wearing?  (For me, cuffing it back to appropriate length leaves me with awkwardly thick cuffs!)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Carrales

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

QuoteQuestion #2 is: do you think this is alterable?
A little time on the rack ought to do it...

pixelwonk

Quote from: Pylon on August 10, 2007, 08:06:39 PM

Question #3 is: for those who have sweaters with longer-than-needed sleeves, what have you done to mitigate it while wearing?  (For me, cuffing it back to appropriate length leaves me with awkwardly thick cuffs!)

You mean you don't like the Wonder Woman bracelets?

I'm a tall guy too and I've found it to be a problem as well.  I'm sure not gonna try having it altered though.  It'd probably cost me more than I paid for the sweater, if it was feasible at all.

TankerT

Just wear the cardigan.  The sleeves are a more manageable length.

;D

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

MIKE

If you turn the cuffs up like you are supposed to it should fit fine.  Or do you have little T-Rex arms or something?  I thought you were tall like me IIRC?

My size 40 is a little short at the waist, but the arms are fine.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 10, 2007, 08:07:33 PM
What's a sweater?  ;)

In England, where they are made, they are called jumpers.  :)
Mike Johnston

Smokey

The sleeves were designed for a previous species (u know those from the jungle)  :)

I cuff it back, but it does make for thick cuff.  Fortunately I only wear it a couple times a year as the weather here doesn't really get cold.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

mdickinson

It's not designed for someone with insanely long arms; the sleeves are designed to be cuffed.
All wooly pullys are made this way.

Everyone I know (in both CAP & CGAux) cuffs the sleeves. You just roll back the appropriate amount for your arm length.

Modified to clarify for the question asked in above message:
If your cuffs are too thick, you are probably making a double-cuff or something.
The correct technique is just a single fold back.
Let the excess go as far up your forearm as necessary.
If the length of the cuff bothers you... don't worry, you'll get used to it. We all do.

RiverAux

8 inches is an awful lot of sleeve to roll back.  you'd have a band 3" thick at your wrist. 

MIKE

Like I said, he must have little T-Rex arms.  I roll mine back once and the length is fine on me.
Mike Johnston

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 11:34:05 PM
Like I said, he must have little T-Rex arms.  I roll mine back once and the length is fine on me.

Same on mine. 

Have you considered getting longer arms?  eBay

RiverAux

QuoteHave you considered getting longer arms?

Thats why I suggested the rack...

Wikipedia really does have everything: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_%28torture%29

O-Rex

Quote from: MIKE on August 10, 2007, 09:43:55 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on August 10, 2007, 08:07:33 PM
What's a sweater?  ;)

In England, where they are made, they are called jumpers.  :)

.......as well as an interesting name for cigarettes  >:D

SARMedTech

Does CAP allow the woolly pully as outdoor wear? I believe that the USCG and CGAUX only allow it as an "office" uniform or one that is worn under a coat where it can be covered up.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

shorning

Quote from: SARMedTech on August 11, 2007, 03:28:21 AM
Does CAP allow the woolly pully as outdoor wear?

What does the manual say?  Say perhaps Table 2-1, Line 9.

Major Carrales

Quote from: SARMedTech on August 11, 2007, 03:28:21 AM
Does CAP allow the woolly pully as outdoor wear? I believe that the USCG and CGAUX only allow it as an "office" uniform or one that is worn under a coat where it can be covered up.

Let me get this right...the USCG and CGAUX don't allow the sweater to be worn where it might be cold? 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Quote from: AUXILIARY MANUAL COMDTINST M16790.1FD.6. Cardigan Sweater The cardigan sweater is the blue Air Force sweater, of acrylic/wool blend, for wear
by men and women. It has a button-front closure with long sleeves, V-neck,
epaulets, and elbow patches. It may be worn with Working Blue, OD, Undress
Blue, Tropical Blue, Service Dress Blue (Bravo), and Winter Dress Blue uniforms.
It is authorized for wear indoors, outdoors (within the limits of the Coast Guard
activity), or under an authorized outer garment. It may be worn under the trench
coat, reefer coat, bridge coat, and windbreaker. When worn under an outer garment
it should not be visible. No name tags, ribbons, or breast insignias are worn. The
sweater is worn either buttoned or unbuttoned. The enhanced or soft shoulder
boards are worn on the sweater epaulets.

D.7. Wooly-Pully Sweater Auxiliarists may wear the Coast Guard blue wooly-pully sweater with the Service
Dress Blue and Tropical Blue. The sweater may be worn in office or work spaces
when the blouse is removed. The wooly-pully may be worn in place of the Service
Dress blouse. Auxiliarists may wear it with the Undress and Working uniforms
between mission area and home. The sweater is not an outer garment for travel
purposes and should not be worn on commercial transportation. The wooly-pully
may only be worn beneath the trench coat, windbreaker, reefer coat, and work
jacket. When worn with a short sleeve, open collar shirt, the shirt collar will be
worn outside the sweater. Auxiliarists will wear enhanced or soft shoulder boards
on the wooly-pully. When worn over the Undress Blue Summer or the Winter
Dress Blue, collar services on the shirt collar will not be removed. Auxiliarists will
not wear ribbons, breast insignia, name tags, or other devices on the wooly-pully
sweater.

See also: COMDTINST M1020.6E 3.C.10. Outerwear.  A bit different on the gold side.
Mike Johnston