Main Menu

Squadron Hats

Started by 0, August 08, 2007, 04:31:34 PM

L Cid

Quote from: MIKE on August 11, 2007, 08:27:39 PM
Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Figure 2-26.4. CAP Baseball Cap: May be worn with the utility uniforms if authorized by the unit commander.
The color, material, unit designation, or silk screen organizational emblem or badge will be
prescribed by the unit commander. Emblem or badge, if authorized, will be centered 1/2 inch above
visor.

If grade insignia were authorized it would say so, just like it does for the BDU caps.

That's just it.  The manual does not address "it".  Again, can we wear a metal grade on our Squadron covers?  If not, where does it say or allude to say that you cannot?  If you can, where does it say or allude to say that you can?

Thank you.
"Excellence the Standerd, Prfection the Goal."

MIKE

Thats just it... if it's not in there it is not authorized.

Quote from: CAPM 39-11-1. ... COMPLIANCE WITH THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. Any variation from this publication is not authorized.  Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear. ...
Mike Johnston

L Cid

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 13, 2007, 02:01:24 PM
Squadron Hats........why do people wear metal rank on their hats.  I see TP doing it all the time.  Whats that saying?  "LEAD BY EXAMPLE".  Apparently he missed that part during Staff College.  I see it more at special activities and Encampments than anywhere else.  Just read the Reg and follow the guidance.  Not that HARD.

If you are discussing the personal Squadron hat, yes it is hard.  Where does it say or imply that you cannot wear the metal grade?  I need help finding this and a friendly assist is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

jimmydeanno

The answer is no.  It is impossible to put every single "can't" into the manual.  So they focus on the "cans."

Each hat that is authorized Grade Insignia says so - they left it out on purpose because it isn't authorized.

The connections people are making with it reminds me of Holy Grail. (horribly misquoted...)  "So if the witch weighs as much as a duck, and the duck floats, and so does wood - then the witch must be made of wood and should be burned..."

"So if the BDU cap must have grade insignia on it and the Squadron Hat can be worn with the BDU, that must mean that the Squadron Hat must have grade insignia..."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

L Cid

Quote from: MIKE on August 13, 2007, 06:37:03 PM
Thats just it... if it's not in there it is not authorized.

There are a lot of "things" that are not in "there".  For example, when to wear contact lenses or the type of underwear we can wear, etc.

So, if you don't know or this question is a puzzler, just say so or move on.  

For those up to the challenge, can you cite an implication or an intention about metal grades on personalized Squadron Hats?

Thank you.

MIKE

See cite added to my previous post.
Mike Johnston

arajca

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Fig 2-264. CAP Baseball Cap: May be worn with the utility uniforms if authorized by the unit commander. The color, material, unit designation, or silk screen organizational emblem or badge will be prescribed by the unit commander. Emblem or badge, if authorized, will be centered 1/2 inch above
visor.
Grade insignia is not mentioned, therefore grade insignia is not authorized.

L Cid

Quote from: arajca on August 13, 2007, 06:57:38 PM
Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Fig 2-264. CAP Baseball Cap: May be worn with the utility uniforms if authorized by the unit commander. The color, material, unit designation, or silk screen organizational emblem or badge will be prescribed by the unit commander. Emblem or badge, if authorized, will be centered 1/2 inch above
visor.
Grade insignia is not mentioned, therefore grade insignia is not authorized.

This is better.  Since its not mentioned, that doesn't mean that you can't wear it either. 

For example, a pledge pin on your uniform is clearly not allowed and directly implied in 39-1.

Your thoughts?

Thank you.

Pylon

Quote from: L Cid on August 13, 2007, 06:42:24 PM
There are a lot of "things" that are not in "there".  For example, when to wear contact lenses or the type of underwear we can wear, etc.

So, if you don't know or this question is a puzzler, just say so or move on.  

Dude, seriously.  Let's be clear on this.  What does the CAPM 39-1 control?  Uniform items and your appearance in uniform.

Are contact lenses or underwear uniform items?  No.  Can you see them while you're wearing the uniform?  No.

Is grade insignia a uniform item?  Absolutely.   Are baseball caps, including the squadron ones, uniform items?  Absolutely.  They fall under CAPM 39-1's guidance.  

National is so adament about the fact that if it's not in CAPM 39-1, then you can't wear it/do it, they put this in Paragraph 1-1:

QuoteCOMPLIANCE WITH
THIS PUBLICATION IS MANDATORY. Any variation from this publication is not authorized.
Items not listed in this publication are not authorized for wear.

The appropriate area dealing with baseball caps has already been quoted.  Grade insignia cannot be worn on your baseball cap, it cannot be worn on your civilian clothing, and it cannot be worn where you please.  The only places you can wear it are on your CAP uniform, where CAPM 39-1 tells you that you can place it.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: L Cid on August 13, 2007, 07:07:26 PM
This is better.  Since its not mentioned, that doesn't mean that you can't wear it either. 

Yes it does.  Without any ambiguity, yes it does mean that you cannot wear it.

Quote from: L Cid on August 13, 2007, 07:07:26 PMFor example, a pledge pin on your uniform is clearly not allowed and directly implied in 39-1.

Your thoughts?

That's even farther in left field, dude.  Not even close to kosher. 

Once again, since CAPM 39-1 doesn't say you can place it on any of your uniforms, you cannot wear it.  This is really a very simple game.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

floridacyclist

I just look at metal grade insignia on your hat as a good way to get twin blood-trails down your forehead. We have a former Army captain who does that...just waiting for him to hit his head on something and have his hat nailed down tight.

FWIW, I have yet to meet a 15yo Expert Ranger..most of them are adults as it is hard to progress one level a year at the entry-level and the upper levels are even tougher. Considering that you have to be 13 to even go to Hawk and Expert is the 5th level up, I just don't see it happening.

Incidentally A) the name has been around a lot longer than almost any of us has been in CAP, so even if we did try to change it (I did), it won't go, and B) the 6th RTB at Eglin has offered to help with our survival exercise over Labor Day Weekend, so I don't see them having too much of a problem with it either.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

jimmydeanno

So does that mean I can wear my bright orange crevate now...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

floridacyclist

You can..I've asked our Ranger cadets not to wear it except for special occassions as I think it looks too insecure and is not in the interests of uniformity.

Sorry about the mistimed edit, for those wondering where Jimmydeano got that from,  I had mentioned being allowed to wear grade insignia on Orange baseball caps since they were now authorized nationally;  I had taken it out because on further reading of the thread, I realized that the question was stupid and had already been beaten to death.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

jimmydeanno

Quote from: floridacyclist on August 13, 2007, 07:31:40 PM
You can..I've asked our Ranger cadets not to wear it except for special occassions as I think it looks too insecure and is not in the interests of uniformity.

Sorry about the mistimed edit, for those wondering where Jimmydeano got that from,  I had mentioned being allowed to wear grade insignia on Orange baseball caps since they were now authorized nationally;  I had taken it out because on further reading of the thread, I realized that the question was stupid and had already been beaten to death.
^Oy vey...I think we're writing over each other... :)  My orange crevat comment unfortunately wasn't about anything relating to rangers (although it seems to have incidentally fit rather well), but about the "uniform manual not telling me I can't wear it" comments from above.

Also, when I said "crevat" I was implying a replacement tie for the blues, rather than the orange ascot.

I hope I'm less confused now...

RiverAux

How dare those Boy Scouts call themselves Scouts!!!  What about those dedicated people in Army scout units? 

mikeylikey

^ Difference between the phrase "Boy Scout" and "Scout".  No Difference between "Ranger" and "Ranger".  How dare hawk grads call themselves "Ranger".  I also have never found any reference to "Ranger Grade" in any CAP manual/ reg.  Other than what PAWG puts together, which is crappy by the way there is no reference. 

Back to hats.......Why does 39-1 say adherence to the book is mandatory, but Commanders are allowed to make exceptions to headgear?  Never understood that.  Lets all get into the same uniform JUST ONCE!
What's up monkeys?

A.Member

Quote from: MIKE on August 08, 2007, 05:19:55 PM
Organizational baseball caps are lame... and when the ABU is rolled out hopefully they will be banned just like the USAF has done.  BDU caps all 'round.
Well stated.  Succinct and to the point.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

JC004

Organizational baseball caps are lame... and when the ABU is rolled out hopefully they will be banned just like the USAF has done.  BDU caps all 'round.

Watch out for the PAWG black van...

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 14, 2007, 06:49:12 AM

Watch out for the PAWG black van...
When did you get one????
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

floridacyclist

I figured PA WG would drive something like a  black Chevy Blazer or Jeep...with blaze orange trim of course
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org