Main Menu

V-necks

Started by Flying Pig, July 11, 2007, 07:36:25 AM

Flying Pig

Shirt stays rule....

Eagle400

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 13, 2007, 03:00:37 PM
Ok, for those of you who need a better visual as to the difference between gartered or not, here you go...left = no garter, right = gartered.

Yes, but in all fairness, the cadet on the left is wearing a shirt that is way too big and the cadet on the right is wearing a shirt that is way too small. 

stillamarine

Quote from: 12211985 on July 13, 2007, 08:50:48 PM
Ok, for those of you who need a better visual as to the difference between gartered or not, here you go...left = no garter, right = gartered.

Yes, but in all fairness, the cadet on the left is wearing a shirt that is way too big and the cadet on the right is wearing a shirt that is way too small. 

I'll admit the one on the left is kinda big, but what makes you say the one on the right WAY to small? Looks like it fits perfect to me.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SARMedTech

Quote from: stillamarine on July 13, 2007, 10:29:26 PM

I'll admit the one on the left is kinda big, but what makes you say the one on the right WAY to small? Looks like it fits perfect to me.

The other reason that the female cadets shirt looks improper and too large is that she is wearing a man's uniform shirt.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SARMedTech

Actually, Im assuming that the cadet with the ill-fitting shirt is female. The body type looks female but with some cadets, at some ages, it can be hard to tell.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

jimmydeanno

^Or it could be that the male cadet everyone thinks is a female is wearing too large a man's shirt.  The shirt is too large because they don't make uniform shirts with a 10 1/2 inch neck for someone that is 4' 10"  Either way, shirt garters would help...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SARMedTech

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 13, 2007, 10:33:39 PM
^Or it could be that the male cadet everyone thinks is a female is wearing too large a man's shirt.  The shirt is too large because they don't make uniform shirts with a 10 1/2 inch neck for someone that is 4' 10"  Either way, shirt garters would help...

As would pressing the shirt.
"Corpsman Up!"

Eagle400

Look at the armpits.  Looks a little bit snug, don't you think?  And the epaulets should droop down slightly.  If that cadet tried to button the neck, he probably couldn't.

If you look at the cadet's shirt in comparison to the shirts the Marines are wearing, you'll see differences.  The shirts the marines are wearing fit comfortably and properly.   

jb512

Quote from: SARMedTech on July 11, 2007, 11:11:00 AM
V-Necks look silly/unfinished with a uniform with an open neck. We see them with BDUs, why not with the service uniform with an open collar. With a v-neck it looks like you ran out out of the house and forgot to finish getting dressed. Makes me cringe every time I see it. My biological father was in the USAF during the VietNam era and they had a trick of turning their crew neck t-shirts around backward under fatigues so they would be tight. Adopted father (read as Dad) did the same thing with his Sheriffs department uniforms for 37 years. In every EMS department or agency Ive been in so far, we have been required to wear visible crew neck t-shirts under an open collar and it was pounded in to me to do it as a young man to the extent that to this day, I wont wear an open collar without a visible t-shirt. Goes right along with not going out unshaven if Im not growing a beard. I hate wearing my blues now with an open neck. Makes me look like a tourist.

PS- How many of you actually wear shirt stays?

WIWAC was when the change was made from crew neck to v-neck.  The story I always heard was that some general's wife saw an airman with a nasty crew neck on under his shirt and had the general make the new rule...  not sure about the validity.

I wear shirt stays everytime I'm in blues.  I have the Y set with the stirrups so I only have to wear one pair.

JCJ

Quote from: 12211985 on July 13, 2007, 11:14:34 PM

Look at the armpits.  Looks a little bit snug, don't you think?  And the epaulets should droop down slightly.  If that cadet tried to button the neck, he probably couldn't.

If you look at the cadet's shirt in comparison to the shirts the Marines are wearing, you'll see differences.  The shirts the marines are wearing fit comfortably and properly.   

Back in the day, E-3 and below purchasing uniforms at USMC clothing sales had to have an E-5 or above certify the proper fit of the items purchased.  E-4 could purchase their own, but couldn't certify the purchases of junior enlisted.

Flying Pig

^ When was "back in the day"?

Fifinella

$.02 - Regardless of Saturday Night Fever, chest hair hanging out of your shirt is NOT sexy.  Besides, if you're wearing a flightsuit with a v-neck or wife-beater undershirt, it looks as though you may not have anything on underneath.  Most Cappers aren't Chippendales enough to pull off that look.  ;D  (Except Kach, of course.)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

O-Rex

Quote from: Fifinella on July 23, 2007, 08:04:08 PM
$.02 - Regardless of Saturday Night Fever, chest hair hanging out of your shirt is NOT sexy. 

........Most Cappers aren't Chippendales enough to pull off that look.

Ew, I can see it now: 39-1 addendums for regulation haircut, shave, and chest-waxing!  :P

Also, there's something to be said for a 'Manly Fred-Flintstone Physique.'  >:D

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on July 11, 2007, 09:27:46 PM
Quote from: SARMedTech on July 11, 2007, 11:11:00 AM
V-Necks look silly/unfinished with a uniform with an open neck. We see them with BDUs, why not with the service uniform with an open collar. With a v-neck it looks like you ran out out of the house and forgot to finish getting dressed. Makes me cringe every time I see it. My biological father was in the USAF during the VietNam era and they had a trick of turning their crew neck t-shirts around backward under fatigues so they would be tight. Adopted father (read as Dad) did the same thing with his Sheriffs department uniforms for 37 years. In every EMS department or agency Ive been in so far, we have been required to wear visible crew neck t-shirts under an open collar and it was pounded in to me to do it as a young man to the extent that to this day, I wont wear an open collar without a visible t-shirt. Goes right along with not going out unshaven if Im not growing a beard. I hate wearing my blues now with an open neck. Makes me look like a tourist.

PS- How many of you actually wear shirt stays?

Well, my dad was career Navy, and I carry similar baggage as you. I have elected to discard some of it, though, and wear v-necks (albeit all year round) except when crew necks are mandated, or when safety issues suggest the additional protection.

Shirt stays, as in the elastic thingies that hook your shirt tail to your sox? I wear them with my aviator shirt combination.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Is that why you talk with a high pitched voice when giving a Level I class?   ;D

sandman

Quote from: JThemann on July 11, 2007, 11:23:00 AM
I do, every time I'm in service uniform.

Who cares what other organizations do? If people don't like the v neck shirt, then they can wear a tie. Or, join the Naval Sea Cadets Corps.

...or the CG Aux.

I agree, I can't stand the sight (or lack of sight) of v-necks with a uniform, it does look completely unfinished. My bias comes from over twenty years of wearing BDU's (Army and Navy) though. So is open collar without sight of an undershirt currently "GQ" in the civilian fashion world?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on July 24, 2007, 04:58:00 AM
Well, my dad was career Navy, and I carry similar baggage as you. I have elected to discard some of it, though, and wear v-necks (albeit all year round) except when crew necks are mandated, or when safety issues suggest the additional protection.

Shirt stays, as in the elastic thingies that hook your shirt tail to your sox? I wear them with my aviator shirt combination.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Is that why you talk with a high pitched voice when giving a Level I class?   ;D

Well there, Mister Olde Guy, no. I didn't start wearing them until after the last class we taught together. However comma my chipmunkness has accompanied me all my life.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Grumpy

Quote from: SarDragon on July 24, 2007, 05:41:01 AM
Quote from: Grumpy on July 24, 2007, 04:58:00 AM

Well there, Mister Olde Guy, no. I didn't start wearing them until after the last class we taught together. However comma my chipmunkness has accompanied me all my life.
___________________________________________________________________________________
LOL

MIKE

Quote from: sandman on July 24, 2007, 05:35:42 AM

Who cares what other organizations do? If people don't like the v neck shirt, then they can wear a tie. Or, join the Naval Sea Cadets Corps.

...or the CG Aux.

The Aux is supposed to wear v necks in trops just like the gold side.
Mike Johnston

sandman

Quote from: MIKE on July 24, 2007, 02:37:25 PM
Quote from: sandman on July 24, 2007, 05:35:42 AM

...or the CG Aux.

The Aux is supposed to wear v necks in trops just like the gold side.

Yep, you're right...got me on that one! (didn't RTFQ like I shoulda) Happens when one types too early in the AM (Vietnam time) and is tired!
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

RogueLeader

I just got some shirt stays and man, they make the uniform look a whole lot sharper.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340