Old/New USAF uniforms

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, November 12, 2014, 08:30:19 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I found this picture of "old" USAF uniforms.  Most of them I've seen "CAP-modified," and the flight suit/missilleer suit on the far right is identical to the current blue flight/utility suit?

However, did CAP ever wear the dark-blue one on the far left?  I like it and it would be good to have again.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

Yes, we wore the one on the far left. It was one of the most comfortable and functional uniforms we ever had. As was the USN equivalent. Both long gone.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Camas

The Ike jacket (named after Gen Eisenhower) was worn during the 50's and 60's. (SarDragon beat me to it). During the time I was in the Air Force (62-65) I didn't see a lot of them though there were a few around. They also showed up in the silver tan version (Shade 1193) as well. I think they were being phased out during this period.

The fatigue uniform (2nd left) was left untucked as an option. And the wearer could cut the sleeves and wear the uniform as a short sleeved uniform, again, as an option.

And that's a great picture of the old summer khaki 1505 uniform (2nd right) worn from 1963 to the late 70's. Brings back memories!

Eclipse

Any of those as a uniform, for all members, would be a better choice then today's multiform.

"That Others May Zoom"

Offutteer

Where'd you find this photo?  I'm wondering where it was taken.  I wish the photo had a better resolution, we might be able to make out what the words are on some of the awards.

Shuman 14

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2014, 08:58:10 PM
Any of those as a uniform, for all members, would be a better choice then today's multiform.

:clap:
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

Quote from: Offutteer on November 12, 2014, 10:11:53 PM
Where'd you find this photo?  I'm wondering where it was taken.  I wish the photo had a better resolution, we might be able to make out what the words are on some of the awards.

"Open Image In New Tab" and you can see it larger.

Featured on CT in 2011 as well: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=12448.0

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Camas on November 12, 2014, 08:55:44 PM
The Ike jacket (named after Gen Eisenhower) was worn during the 50's and 60's. (SarDragon beat me to it). During the time I was in the Air Force (62-65) I didn't see a lot of them though there were a few around. They also showed up in the silver tan version (Shade 1193) as well. I think they were being phased out during this period.

The fatigue uniform (2nd left) was left untucked as an option. And the wearer could cut the sleeves and wear the uniform as a short sleeved uniform, again, as an option.

And that's a great picture of the old summer khaki 1505 uniform (2nd right) worn from 1963 to the late 70's. Brings back memories!

That's NOT the Ike jacket. It's what CAP called Combination 3 from sometime before 1968, until 1 June 1988 (phased out). It's a blue shirt and trousers combination (same shade). BTW, noose required.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ohioguard

The combo 3 was never worn with the cloth name/branch tape.  It was worn with the regular name tag with ribbons optional.

JCW

ColonelJack

The Combination 3 was also worn with miniature rank insignia on the collar for officers (CAP cutouts on one collar) until about a year or so before it was phased out.  At that point we could take the stitching out of the epaulets and wear the shoulder marks there.

I had one of those.  Loved it.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 13, 2014, 01:25:36 AM
The Combination 3 was also worn with miniature rank insignia on the collar for officers (CAP cutouts on one collar) until about a year or so before it was phased out.  At that point we could take the stitching out of the epaulets and wear the shoulder marks there.

I had one of those.  Loved it.

Jack

I remember combination 3 with officer grade and wings being full size or miniature, at wearers option. I could be wrong, been a while. At any rate, it was never worn as shown in the photo, ie with name tape.

I think the photo is essentially a recent photo of modern airmen wearing old uniforms, not a photo from the era when they were worn.

Combination 3 was one of the best uniforms we and USAF ever had. Tears were quietly shed around the world when they dumped it.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SarDragon

Quote from: Ohioguard on November 13, 2014, 01:04:45 AM
The combo 3 was never worn with the cloth name/branch tape.  It was worn with the regular name tag with ribbons optional.

JCW

OOPS!

Didn't notice until you pointed it out. I don't recall ever seeing a blue shirt with the tapes in CAP, not is it in any of the uni regs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on November 13, 2014, 07:51:46 AM
I think the photo is essentially a recent photo of modern airmen wearing old uniforms, not a photo from the era when they were worn.

I have to agree ... the giveaway is a VERY youthful looking Chief Master Sergeant in the pickle suit!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Ohioguard

Also, I don't believe we wore subdued patches mixed with the blue stripes/name tags.  I do remember when the subdued patches came out, but it wasn't mixed.

JCW

sardak

QuoteWhere'd you find this photo?  I'm wondering where it was taken.
QuoteI think the photo is essentially a recent photo of modern airmen wearing old uniforms, not a photo from the era when they were worn.

From the EXIF data in the photo:
Camera Model {0x0110} = NIKON D2Xs
Original Date/Time {0x9003} = 2007:08:14 18:37:51
Digitization Date/Time {0x9004} = 2007:08:14 18:37:51
Software / Firmware Version {0x0131} = Adobe Photoshop 7.0
Last Modified Date/Time {0x0132} = 2007:08:17 16:45:56

Image Description {0x010E} = MINOT AIR FORCE BASE, N.D. - Chief Master Sgt. Mark Brejcha (center), 91st Space Wing command chief, and members from the Team Minot 5/6 Living Legends group, made up of Airmen from the 5th Bomb Wing and 91st SW, wear historical Air Force uniforms while carrying out their daily duties and tell the story of the Airmen who wore those uniforms. (U.S. Air Force photo by Senior Airman Stacey Moless)

I've been in CAP long enough to have worn the pickle suit, and the wing logistics supply warehouse room had the Combo 3 and the khakis still "in stock."

Mike

The CyBorg is destroyed

http://airforcelive.dodlive.mil/files/2014/02/070814-F-0287J-020.jpg

That's where I got the picture.

I see no reason, other than the fact that it's no longer in production, why the blue uniform on the far left could not be adopted as "THE" standard "office" uniform for CAP, replacing the G/W.

1. The AF hasn't used it in years.  Today's Airmen likely would not recognise it.
2. Put our nametapes/CIVIL AIR PATROL nametapes on it.
3. Put the current "overseas" patch on the left sleeve.
4. Compatible with both the flight cap and BBDU cap.
5. Wear metal grade on one collar and CAP on the other for officers, CAP on both for NCO's.
6. NCO stripes on each arm.
7. Wear CAP ribbons.
8. Blue nameplate.
9. Wear a tie for "dressier" occasions.
10. Similar to the BBDU.

I do not see how it could be confused with any other Armed Forces uniform unless one has terrible astigmatism.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

capmaj

Do believe taken at......................  Minot AFB, Base ED Center.

kwe1009

About 15 years or so ago some Air Force bases allowed Airmen to wear these "historical" uniforms once a week or once a month.  It was actually pretty cool as they allowed people to wear any uniform that was ever authorized for USAF wear.  It was a great history lesson and I think even helped with moral so of course it is no longer allowed.

JC004

Quote from: kwe1009 on November 14, 2014, 07:16:23 PM
About 15 years or so ago some Air Force bases allowed Airmen to wear these "historical" uniforms once a week or once a month.  It was actually pretty cool as they allowed people to wear any uniform that was ever authorized for USAF wear.  It was a great history lesson and I think even helped with moral so of course it is no longer allowed.

We used to have a couple SMs who wore historical uniforms annually at the wing conference.  That was nice.  We also have this every year:

kwe1009

BuckeyeDEJ

Not only was the dark-blue "combination 3" shirt not worn with name tapes (obviously, it was a dress uniform, not a work uniform), but in this picture, the bright name tapes and grade on the OG507 is wrong with the shirt tail out and subdued patches. WIWAC, CAP wore the bright stuff on that uniform, but Ma Blue was in subdued everything, and only allowed the shirt tail to come out in the late 1980s, if memory serves right, or unless someone who knows better tells us otherwise.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

SarDragon

The more I look at it, the more I think that really is a Combo 3 shirt, just with the wrong stuff on it. It's being worn with the wrong shade trousers, too.

As for the OG507s, I wore them in CAP from '87-'89, overseas, and nothing was subdued. I don't recall that the AD AF folks wore subdued, either. My squadron was able to wear BDUs a little early, but don't remember the deal.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

That is a Shade 1549 Long Sleeve uniform shirt. You wear the exact same stuff you wear with the long sleeve light blue shirt on it.
i.e. Name tag, ribbons and a tie!  I used to wear that shirt when I was at Offutt AFB, NE for both CAP and Air Force.
Fairly popular in colder areas like the upper midwest and New England.

Grumpy

I wore all but the one on the far right in both CAP and AF.  Wore a white flight scarf with the 1549 combo and a Ridgeway cover with the fatigues.

SarDragon

Quote from: Grumpy on November 15, 2014, 07:12:17 PM
I wore all but the one on the far right in both CAP and AF.  Wore a white flight scarf with the 1549 combo and a Ridgeway cover with the fatigues.

That's because you're really, really olde.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: SarDragon on November 15, 2014, 07:03:44 AM
The more I look at it, the more I think that really is a Combo 3 shirt, just with the wrong stuff on it. It's being worn with the wrong shade trousers, too.

As for the OG507s, I wore them in CAP from '87-'89, overseas, and nothing was subdued. I don't recall that the AD AF folks wore subdued, either. My squadron was able to wear BDUs a little early, but don't remember the deal.

Dave, I remember that by the time I was at my third Type A encampment (West Virginia Wing at Dover AFB, Del., summer 1987), the active-duty folks' uniforms were all subdued, and they were allowed to untuck. Personally, I miss the OG507s — they were neat, simple and presentable. The slant-pocket jungle fatigues never looked right, and the BDUs were only marginally better.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

ZigZag911

Bring back khakis and the pickle suit!

flyboy53

And the Air Force complains about how the CAP wears their uniforms?

Let's detail the most glaring errors on these uniforms.

On the far left -- my most favorite Air Force uniform ever -- you don't wear cloth name tapes. There should be a blue name tag on the right and where's the tie? Also, I'll bet the pants are Shade 84 when the shirt is Shade 1549. At one time, this shirt identified everyone that had served overseas in a cold environment. Mine were actually issued while serving in Alaska.

Second from right. By the time these permanent press fatigues (I was never really fond of them) the insignia was subdued and you were forbidden to mix with colored insignia. Colored insignia wasn't worn on fatigues after 1980 unless you were wearing the blue ones like transient or missile maintenance.

The Shade 84 uniform in the middle. The ribbons are wrong. The Air Force Commendation Medal takes precedence on the Air Force uniform and the hat's the wrong shade.

The two on the far right, I'll leave alone -- even though if you wear the scarf that way, it's folded underneath and inside each side of the collar. In my era, crews used to actually sew the scarf folded on to the uniform.

Hope this stuff isn't on display somewhere. I miss 1505s, too!

The CyBorg is destroyed

And that dark blue one would solve a lot - not all, but a lot - of CAP's uniform issues. 

When worn correctly. as flyboy1 points out, it could look quite good, and no way could it be confused with ANY of the Air Force's current uniforms, low-light, high-light or Miller High Life, with FLIR or even with Luke Skywalker binoculars.

A modified FD/PD shirt/pants of similar colour/cut, properly CAP-badged, would look good, provide a link to our past and bin the grey/white kit.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on November 17, 2014, 02:16:54 AM
And that dark blue one would solve a lot - not all, but a lot - of CAP's uniform issues. 

When worn correctly. as flyboy1 points out, it could look quite good, and no way could it be confused with ANY of the Air Force's current uniforms, low-light, high-light or Miller High Life, with FLIR or even with Luke Skywalker binoculars.

A modified FD/PD shirt/pants of similar colour/cut, properly CAP-badged, would look good, provide a link to our past and bin the grey/white kit.

"To dream the impossible dream."   I will give you points for persistance.

a2capt

Such predicaments, I must forge ahead!
...To dream the impossible dream.
Walking down the road one day, (doo-dah, doo-dah)
I must find the truth of life.
I said, "But you know, kids, I can handle a big, green, glow-in-the-dark house up on the hill,
I can handle a darn forest,
I can handle the little old lady, (on the Hoover vacuum cleaner, going around and around)
But that's a very strange road you're sending me down!

lordmonar

Quote from: a2capt on November 17, 2014, 03:40:51 AM
I said, "But you know, kids, I can handle a big, green, glow-in-the-dark house up on the hill,
I can handle the little old lady, (on the Hoover vacuum cleaner, going around and around)
I know this song!  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Papabird

Quote from: a2capt on November 17, 2014, 03:40:51 AM

Sing it T-Bone.  :) 

She asks, "What is your sign?" "I blink and answer, NEON!  I think I blew her mind."  The wizard's advice is good as well.
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

a2capt

... Just like the topic of the tread..

(Existential) -Blues-

Threads, yay. Yeah.

I've never seen yellow lines quite that wide ..

I do have a lot of fun with that song .. people either totally get it, and join in, or they look at me like "WTH is he talk/rambling about... " ;-)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on November 17, 2014, 03:33:48 AM

Thank you, sir. :)

Or it's just that I'm stubbornly pigheaded...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on November 17, 2014, 09:08:42 PM

I was trying to be polite. This is a "family friendly" board! ;)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on November 18, 2014, 01:51:51 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on November 17, 2014, 09:08:42 PM

I was trying to be polite. This is a "family friendly" board! ;)

Officer thinking, Sir! 8)
Exiled from GLR-MI-011