New uniforms for the RCAF

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, September 22, 2014, 08:10:53 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Yesterday was Battle of Britain Day, which the RCAF used to largely undo the years of naval-style gold rank insignia with a return to pre-unification insignia...but not rank titles (Squadron Leader, Wing Commander, etc).  I can see that because in the modern RAF/RAAF/RNZAF a Wing Commander (O-5) usually commands a Squadron and a Squadron Leader (O-4) usually commands a Flight.

How is this relevant to CAP?

The lowest rank is now called "Aviator" (or in French, "Aviateur").  Something maybe to replace "SMWOG?"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JeffDG

The left-most officer insignia is for an "Officer Cadet", the "Aviator" is the equivalent of Airman.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on September 22, 2014, 08:54:10 PM
The left-most officer insignia is for an "Officer Cadet", the "Aviator" is the equivalent of Airman.

I was a bit surprised they didn't resurrect Flight Sergeant...some older RCAF guys have told me that Flight Sergeants basically ran the RCAF but let the officers think they did.

RCAirC has an anomalous rank of Flight Corporal.

I think that another reason they probably kept most rank titles as they are is that they are easier to pronounce in French (however, my French is severely limited, so I do not know that for sure).

After all, Major is just Major, while Squadron Leader is commandant d'aviation.

But, with the new two-tier NCO system in CAP, those pursuing NCO rank could be "Aviators" and those pursuing Officer grade could be "Officer Cadet/Candidate."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Storm Chaser

Quote from: CyBorg on September 22, 2014, 09:13:33 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on September 22, 2014, 08:54:10 PM

I was a bit surprised they didn't resurrect Flight Sergeant...some older RCAF guys have told me that Flight Sergeants basically ran the RCAF but let the officers think they did.

RCAirC has an anomalous rank of Flight Corporal.

I think that another reason they probably kept most rank titles as they are is that they are easier to pronounce in French (however, my French is severely limited, so I do not know that for sure).

After all, Major is just Major, while Squadron Leader is commandant d'aviation.

But, with the new two-tier NCO system in CAP, those pursuing NCO rank could be "Aviators" and those pursuing Officer grade could be "Officer Cadet/Candidate."

Since we share our grade names and insignias with the U.S. Air Force, I would prefer those pursing NCO grades be called "Airman" and those pursing officer grades be called "Officer Trainee". The only issue with these terms would be, what do we call those senior members who are not pursuing either?

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 22, 2014, 09:20:10 PMThe only issue with these terms would be, what do we call those senior members who are not pursuing either?

Former members?

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on September 22, 2014, 09:31:00 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 22, 2014, 09:20:10 PMThe only issue with these terms would be, what do we call those senior members who are not pursuing either?

Former members?

:clap:

Panache

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 22, 2014, 09:20:10 PM
The only issue with these terms would be, what do we call those senior members who are not pursuing either?

Cadet Sponsors?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Since we share our grade names and insignias with the U.S. Air Force, I would prefer those pursing NCO grades be called "Airman" and those pursing officer grades be called "Officer Trainee". The only issue with these terms would be, what do we call those senior members who are not pursuing either?

Partial agreement...but what senior members are "not pursuing either?"

Aren't they already called "Patron?"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Storm Chaser

Quote from: CyBorg on September 23, 2014, 06:24:30 PM

Partial agreement...but what senior members are "not pursuing either?"

Aren't they already called "Patron?"

Patrons are not active members. There are many active senior members who do not wish to be promoted to 2d Lt or hold any grade. In fact, CAP doesn't require that active members advance in grade.

Quote from: CAPR 39-2, Para 3-1a. Active Member. A member who regularly attends meetings, performs a specific duty assignment, meets training requirements and participates in the activities of his or her unit. An active member may wear the CAP uniform and compete for grade advancement (see CAPR 35-1, Assignment and Duty Status). (emphasis mine)

AirAux

Our last inspection, we got our butt chewed because we have a couple of members that have been with us quite a while and enjoy working with the program and helping out for the cadets sake.  They are not interested in rank.  One could have jumped to 1Lt as she is an RN, but she said no.  Wing thinks we shoudl motivate them...  HOW????

JeffDG

Quote from: AirAux on September 23, 2014, 08:25:03 PM
Our last inspection, we got our butt chewed because we have a couple of members that have been with us quite a while and enjoy working with the program and helping out for the cadets sake.  They are not interested in rank.  One could have jumped to 1Lt as she is an RN, but she said no.  Wing thinks we shoudl motivate them...  HOW????

None of the inspector's business.  The inspection is to determine regulatory compliance.  No regulatory issue, no butt-chewing.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Do they wear uniforms?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: CyBorg on September 23, 2014, 10:01:59 PM
Our last inspection, we got our butt chewed because we have a couple of members that have been with us quite a while and enjoy working with the program and helping out for the cadets sake.  They are not interested in rank.  One could have jumped to 1Lt as she is an RN, but she said no.  Wing thinks we shoudl motivate them...  HOW? ???

Do they wear uniforms?

Does that change the anything?

PHall

Ask the "inspector" which reg is being violated by them not promoting.
Should be interesting to hear their answer.

Storm Chaser

I know the answer to that one.  >:D

The CyBorg is destroyed

I wonder if an inspector would question the unit's PDO:

"Hey, why are these people not promoting and/or doing other things to advance their skills?"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AirAux

Yep, the PDo, the Commander and the deputy Commander.  Something about the levels not being completed, training tracks not being completed, you know, SOSDD...

NC Hokie

Quote from: CyBorg on September 24, 2014, 04:33:21 PM

"Hey, why are these people not promoting and/or doing other things to advance their skills?"

"There are no requirements to promote or participate in PD, but here is what I have done during the last year to encourage them..."
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

The CyBorg is destroyed

And, if they're working "for the cadets' sake," it could beg the question "why aren't they enrolled in the CP speciality track?"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on September 23, 2014, 08:44:32 PM

None of the inspector's business.  The inspection is to determine regulatory compliance.  No regulatory issue, no butt-chewing.

+1 - Inspectors aren't supposed to try and command from the sidelines.

At most this should have been indicated as an AOC.  This issue is a legitimate point, but not for an inspector to
be directly trying to intevene on, much less "butt chew".

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on September 24, 2014, 04:57:43 PM
And, if they're working "for the cadets' sake," it could beg the question "why aren't they enrolled in the CP speciality track?"

Enrollment in the specialty track is not mandatory.

Private Investigator

Quote from: NC Hokie on September 24, 2014, 04:39:33 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on September 24, 2014, 04:33:21 PM

"There are no requirements to promote or participate in PD, but here is what I have done during the last year to encourage them..."

Being on Inspection Teams in the past; What about people who "pencil whip" or "fudge" on what they have done to get a Senior or Master rating? The most common rationale I have heard is if they pass the "Test" that proves they are Master worthy.  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: JeffDG on September 24, 2014, 05:56:40 PM

So the Unit's CP Officer does not have to be enrolled in the speciality track? How you know he is doing his assignment and doing it well?  8)

Storm Chaser

A unit commander can enroll a member in a specialty track, but cannot force the member to complete it or progress in it. Furthermore, there are members who are active, have duty assignments, complete PD training, and participate in unit and wing activities, but still wish not to have grade or be promoted. As it stands now, the organization allows it.

JeffDG

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 25, 2014, 01:04:52 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on September 24, 2014, 05:56:40 PM

So the Unit's CP Officer does not have to be enrolled in the speciality track? How you know he is doing his assignment and doing it well?  8)

Can you cite a regulation that requires such assignment?

The CyBorg is destroyed

It's not required by regulation; however, it is helpful, and that's the point I would make as an Inspector.

I have a Master rating in Administration and a Technician rating in Safety.

I could have probably learnt to push papers and tell people not to walk on black ice with slick-bottomed Bates low-quarters without being enrolled in either speciality track, but I would not have been as effective.

As soon as I joined CAP, before I even got my butter-barred berry boards, my squadron CC enrolled me in ECI 13 (known today as Officer Basic Course).  I was astonished when I hefted that package of books out of my mailbox.  Back in that day it was about as exciting as munching stale cardboard and the test was closed-book.  I never questioned my CC as to why she enrolled me in that; she was a Major and I was a brand-new Officer Aspirant (catchy title, huh?), so I figured she knew more than I did.

In retrospect, I think she did it to see how serious I was about CAP and though it was a PITA at the time I am glad she did it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011