Main Menu

Goretex Insignia

Started by afgeo4, March 26, 2007, 05:50:26 PM

Psicorp

Quote from: Stonewall on April 07, 2007, 04:12:30 AM
Here we go.  It ain't the best because the CAP cutout is old and faded and there are different shades of ultramarine.  If everything was new it'd look a lot better.

My one thought is...it's Gortex, it's going to be worn in bad weather.  I doubt the white will stay white for very long.   I think a piece of blue cloth, a metal CAP cutout and a metal rank insignia would be the way to go.  Or canibalize cloth CAP cutouts, that works too, they're cheap.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Stonewall

For about 15 years while most people wore goretex jackets before they were authorized, me included, we all just pinned our rank with a CAP cutout above it on the flap.

It was a local thing.  Some people whined and some people didn't care.  We felt we had to have some sort of ID on us since we were around military bases 99% of the time.  People would look at you strange if you didn't have rank displayed in some way shape or form.
Serving since 1987.

Slim

Quote from: Stonewall on April 07, 2007, 02:55:39 AM
Does anyone have an image of the Goretex rank sleeve thing?  I'm gonna work on sewing one up.

PS:  Remember the good old days....

Aw man.....that picture almost brought a tear to my eye.....Not so much because it's a jungle fatigue shirt, but you didn't sew your tapes along the edge of the pockets (props for the subdued NREMT patch too).  I'd gladly wear straight pocket ODs as a common uniform.

Jungles rocked, still have a set or two floating around, along with a couple pickle suit sets.  Of course, they must have shrunk while in storage. ;D

Slim

Pylon

Quote from: Stonewall on April 07, 2007, 04:12:30 AM
Here we go.  It ain't the best because the CAP cutout is old and faded and there are different shades of ultramarine.  If everything was new it'd look a lot better.

Cool.  So when you opening that sewing business for CAP members' BDUs and custom Goretex tabs?   ;)  I'll be first in line with a fistfull of cash.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: Slim on April 07, 2007, 08:29:59 AM
Aw man.....that picture almost brought a tear to my eye.....Not so much because it's a jungle fatigue shirt, but you didn't sew your tapes along the edge of the pockets (props for the subdued NREMT patch too).  I'd gladly wear straight pocket ODs as a common uniform.

Jungles rocked, still have a set or two floating around, along with a couple pickle suit sets.  Of course, they must have shrunk while in storage. ;D

Hey, I was a cadet, we had to go with what we knew and what we saw.  The SF guys down here at the time were wearing them and thats how they wore their nametapes.  When there isn't a 39-1 laying around just follow the SF guys, they've gotta know CAP regs.
Here, see...
Serving since 1987.

DNall

Or when you're a SPC hanging out with SF, cause if that guy were SF he'd have got that grade bump before he could put on the patch, and a tab or two as well. Seen a couple female officers wearing SF combat patches, that's wierd & kinda cool to I guess.

I know what you mean about local guidance though. I was at a Sq on NG base a back in the late-90s. The AAG-Air asked us to wear metal pin grade on our hats so we could be more readily identified as leaders when out gaggle of cadets was around & maybe in the way or misbehaving. Totally out of reg, and the Gp CC was none to happy when he suprise visited us, but whatcha gonna do when your host BrigGen gives an order.

LtCol White

Quote from: DNall on April 07, 2007, 06:48:57 PM
Or when you're a SPC hanging out with SF, cause if that guy were SF he'd have got that grade bump before he could put on the patch, and a tab or two as well. Seen a couple female officers wearing SF combat patches, that's wierd & kinda cool to I guess.

I know what you mean about local guidance though. I was at a Sq on NG base a back in the late-90s. The AAG-Air asked us to wear metal pin grade on our hats so we could be more readily identified as leaders when out gaggle of cadets was around & maybe in the way or misbehaving. Totally out of reg, and the Gp CC was none to happy when he suprise visited us, but whatcha gonna do when your host BrigGen gives an order.

Follow it
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Stonewall

Or when you're a SPC hanging out with SF, cause if that guy were SF he'd have got that grade bump before he could put on the patch, and a tab or two as well.

I just did a google search for "jungle fatigues" to use as an example.  Thats how I got that image.  Just as an example.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: Pylon on April 07, 2007, 08:35:32 AM
Cool.  So when you opening that sewing business for CAP members' BDUs and custom Goretex tabs?   ;)  I'll be first in line with a fistfull of cash.

Never....  I hate sewing.  Between CAP and ANG, for both me and my wife, I do enough sewing.  I make modifications to gear too, but not so much anymore.

Key to getting rank and badges to look so neat is to do the following:

1. Soak them in hot water so they shrink.  If the shrink after you sew them on, they can look bad.

2. Fold the edges while they're still wet so a 1/8" border of blue surrounds the badge/rank, then iron them down.

3. Machine sew everything.  I just looked for it and couldn't find it, but in some regulation, somewhere, it said all rank and badges must be machine sewn.  Maybe it was an old Army reg, but machine sewn looks a lot more professional.

Remember, IAW 39-1, badges are to be measured from the badge not the border.  If you have 2 badges, they should be 1/2" between each other.  Blue should not touch blue. 
Serving since 1987.

DNall

Quote from: LtCol White on April 07, 2007, 07:54:25 PM
...whatcha gonna do when your host BrigGen gives an order.
Follow it
You dang skippy.
Quote from: Stonewall on April 07, 2007, 08:27:38 PM
Just as an example.
I know, just drawing the parallel of that person was in the same situation as yall of following the example of local guidance rather than whatever big Army was saying at the time.

Thanks for the advice on the sewing. I've made some of those mistakes before, and the only thing worse than all that sewing is ripping it off after you wash it the first time to do it all over again.

Slim

Quote from: Stonewall on April 07, 2007, 04:56:05 PM
Quote from: Slim on April 07, 2007, 08:29:59 AM

Hey, I was a cadet, we had to go with what we knew and what we saw.  The SF guys down here at the time were wearing them and thats how they wore their nametapes.  When there isn't a 39-1 laying around just follow the SF guys, they've gotta know CAP regs.
Here, see...

Same here, only what we knew and saw was that the tapes were sewn parallel to the pocket.  From what I remember at the time, our justification was that the 39-1 said the tapes were sewn along the top of the pocket.  I don't think jungles were ever specifically mentioned in the manual until the 91-92 edition, and then it specified that tapes were sewn parallel to the ground.

Slim

Stonewall

Quote from: Slim on April 08, 2007, 03:11:59 AMI don't think jungles were ever specifically mentioned in the manual until the 91-92 edition, and then it specified that tapes were sewn parallel to the ground.

Wow!  So technically mine are right?  I'll be honest with ya, as a cadet, I never saw or heard of a uniform manual.  Hence all the BS we used to do as cadets.  In a way I'm thankful we lacked guidance because we had fun with "special uniforms".  Nowadays, maybe its better to have that guidance readily available at our fingertips so we can teach and enforce uniform standards.

I could never get away with this in today's CAP  8) (circa 1990)
Serving since 1987.

Nick

The sad thing ... you still look the same.  Almost 20 years later, still wearing a green outfit and a blue beret.  :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Stonewall

Yeah, I've gained a pound or two and that was a black beret.  You know, for our unit "Ranger" team, like so many had back then. 
Serving since 1987.

SarDragon

When I build a new set of utilities, I stick the patches and tapes in a couple of the pockets and wash everything one time before I sew anything on. Then I do all the folding, and sew down the edges before I try to sew the items on the shirt. The second line of stitching is hardly noticeable, and makes everything easier to sew.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: Slim on April 07, 2007, 08:29:59 AMJungles rocked, still have a set or two floating around, along with a couple pickle suit sets.  Of course, they must have shrunk while in storage. ;D

Funny. So did mine. I sense a conspiracy  ;)

LTC_Gadget

I have two sets of shade 107 jungles hangin' in the back of the closet with my Captain's bars on them, right next to my black beret from the Oklahoma Wing ground team.  Both of those uniform ideas are, of course, ancient history.

I guess I'm gonna have to take all my paraphernalia off of them and sell the darn things on e-bay to get a few bucks out of 'em and clear the closet.  Of all the uniform changes that we could get, I don't see them coming back... darnit.. Those were the good old days.

John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

isuhawkeye

spoke with vanguard on friday.  They have produced many of the gortex slides, but they state the hold up is with National. 

JC004

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 15, 2007, 06:27:13 PM
spoke with vanguard on friday.  They have produced many of the gortex slides, but they state the hold up is with National. 

Do you know what kind of hold up?  They are duly approved, aren't they?  Maybe they need national to approve the examples?

Stonewall

Being in Florida, I can wait until about October before I may need to wear my Goretex again.  So to be a good friend and fellow CAPer, I'll hold off on ordering one so my friends up north can get theirs first  ;D
Serving since 1987.