I'm not in the Air Force
6 (20%)
We shouldn't be wearing the Air Force uniform,  period
3 (10%)
I won't get gigged on customs and courtesies
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

The CyBorg is destroyed

Please refrain from flaming me for this.  I know we've had other polls in the recent past.

My criteria is why does one choose to wear the G/W, if they are firmly within H/W/G standards to wear the AF uniform?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

The last answer isn't appropriate since they are still required regardless of uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on January 03, 2013, 08:13:05 PM
The last answer isn't appropriate since they are still required regardless of uniform.

You know that and I know that but a lot of people think otherwise.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on January 03, 2013, 08:14:24 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 03, 2013, 08:13:05 PM

You know that and I know that but a lot of people think otherwise.

Sadly I have to agree.

"That Others May Zoom"

johnnyb47

I chose "cheap and convenient" because I'm fat.
Until I lose the last few pounds of this pesky fluff (working at it like there's no tomorrow!) the G/W is my only option... but it's a cheap/convenient one. :)

When I AM within H/W (and I will be again soon) I intend on continuing to wear the G/W uniform for certain events. I see it as the "ok to get a LITTLE dirty dress uniform" option.
If I never HAD to wear the thing in the first place I may have never seen a reason to own it. Maybe starting out fat and then getting within H/W gives me a different persepctive.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: CyBorg on January 03, 2013, 08:09:36 PM
My criteria is why does one choose to wear the G/W, if they are firmly within H/W/G standards to wear the AF uniform?
That is not what your question asks. As I am a few stone over H/W for the AF Uniform, I did not see an answer I could choose.

NC Hokie

Quote from: CyBorg on January 03, 2013, 08:09:36 PM
Please refrain from flaming me for this.  I know we've had other polls in the recent past.

None of the above. I'm within standards to wear the AF blues, but I look like I'm not (too many Whoppers and such), so I choose to wear the G/W.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

MSG Mac

Because when I wear the G/W I have the ability to remove epaulets and insignia and be a real person upon leaving the activity.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: phirons on January 03, 2013, 08:29:16 PM
That is not what your question asks. As I am a few stone over H/W for the AF Uniform, I did not see an answer I could choose.

I think you misinterpret.  I am going under the mandate by regs that those a few stone over H/W for the AF uniform have to, and are already wearing, the G/W.

Quote from: johnnyb47 on January 03, 2013, 08:26:27 PM
I chose "cheap and convenient" because I'm fat.
Until I lose the last few pounds of this pesky fluff (working at it like there's no tomorrow!) the G/W is my only option... but it's a cheap/convenient one. :)

When I AM within H/W (and I will be again soon) I intend on continuing to wear the G/W uniform for certain events. I see it as the "ok to get a LITTLE dirty dress uniform" option.
If I never HAD to wear the thing in the first place I may have never seen a reason to own it. Maybe starting out fat and then getting within H/W gives me a different persepctive.

Interesting perspective (the "get a LITTLE dirty" bit), but again I see you as outside the scope of the question because you already have to wear it to be in compliance with regs.  My question is aimed at those who don't have to wear it but choose to anyway.

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 03, 2013, 09:07:48 PM
Because when I wear the G/W I have the ability to remove epaulets and insignia and be a real person upon leaving the activity.

Aww, come on, you're a real person anyway... ;D

It's still a bit of a chore to take off epaulettes, any speciality badges/wings/ribbons/nameplate you may be wearing, isn't it?

As I've said before, I had an incident where, while wearing the AF short-sleeved kit, making a brief stop in a store on the way home from a meeting, a young lady came up to me and thought I was store security.  She had no clue of any connection with the AF until I pointed at my nameplate and explained what CAP was.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Rick-DEL

I don't own the G/W's. I would choose "Cheaper / Convenient Option" but not for the G/W's, but rather the AF blues, since I have them leftover from the USAF, this was the cheaper option  :clap:

It was cheaper for me to buy the ancillary items to make up the CAP uniform from the USAF base.

NIN

Before "corporates" were as accepted as they are now, I went to a wing conf in MER. There was a CAP Maj or LtCol in whites & greys who was an active duty Army officer and totally in h/w standards.  I was stunned. He was literally the first officer I'd ever met who wore whites & greys who did not have to.

(I have since followed his lead at times)

It was... interesting.

He said "I wear a military uniform 5+ days a week. Do I  really need to wear one after work, too?"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PA Guy

Part of the problem with the G/W is perception.  As long as members have the attitude that it is OK to get the G/Ws a "little dirty" or not consider it a uniform at all or not deserving of observing C&C things will never get any better.  The G/Ws should be worn to the same standards and care as the AF style uniform. The G/Ws are not an excuse to look like a rag bag.

Ned

I wear the G/W combo fairly frequently, for a number of reasons.

* It is among the cheaper CAP uniforms I own. (I already had a blazer and grey trousers.)

* I can wear more comfortable shoes.

* I don't have to wear a hat.

* Unlike with the blazer, I can wear specialty badges(s) and more visible rank insignia.

* I am a bit of a fashion horse, and enjoy having all the approved uniforms
        (One year at COS, I made it almost all the way through without having to repeat a uniform combination)

*  I think it is important that the uniform not be worn just by large / fuzzy seniors.  Keeps the rest of you on your toes.

*  I can wear my cool leather A2 jacket.  The chicks dig that. (well, one does.)

*  It is easier to travel with.  (Fewer parts, more wrinkle-resistant, etc.)

*  Depending on the group I am visiting, it blends better.

* and many more reasons I can't remember just now.

I also own BBDUs, the blue field uniform, various flight suits, and a couple different flavors of polo.

If you look back far enough into my closet, you will find a Smurf suit, several Guyabarra shirts, and the white turtleneck I used to wear with my blazer just to annoy the group commander.

(Of course, I also own many, many USAF-style components as well.  I normally wear those when interacting with cadets.)

When you belong to CAP for more than a couple of years, it helps to have a big closet and an understanding spouse.

Ned Lee
Uniform Afficionado

Dad2-4

My first thought was, "Because I can." I, too, own and can wear both corporate and USAF uniforms. Sometimes the G/W is just the choice of the day if it complies with the UOD.

vento

None of the above. I can wear the blues but I chose to wear the W/G so that I can look the same as the rest of the squadron. Same goes for when the Golf shirt is the UoD.

coudano

all of the senior members in my unit, including the ones that meet h,w,g wear white or polo with grey.
it is a matter of uniformity and esprit

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: coudano on January 04, 2013, 01:18:45 AM
all of the senior members in my unit, including the ones that meet h,w,g wear white or polo with grey.

How did your unit arrive at that choice, and are members of your unit forbidden from wearing the AF-type uniforms?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

coudano

Quote from: CyBorg on January 04, 2013, 09:53:28 AM
Quote from: coudano on January 04, 2013, 01:18:45 AM

How did your unit arrive at that choice, and are members of your unit forbidden from wearing the AF-type uniforms?

Many are ineligible because of h/w, g, or any combination thereof.
The rest (the minority, really) just fit in (and enjoy the convenience)
Aviator when cadets are in blues, Polo when cadets are in BDU's.

Really when everyone is all together, and you know...  uniform, we look like a unit.  Not bad!

Blues and BDU's are not forbidden, but they aren't the culture of the unit.
Maybe for an ES event...

husker

Quote from: Ned on January 03, 2013, 11:18:05 PM

When you belong to CAP for more than a couple of years, it helps to have a big closet and an understanding spouse.

Ned Lee
Uniform Afficionado

^This.
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov

futura

Asked to wear grey and whites at Regional Staff College which was being held on an active AF base.

RiverAux

Quote from: futura on January 04, 2013, 09:12:56 PM
Asked to wear grey and whites at Regional Staff College which was being held on an active AF base.

Hmm, wonder if that is standard?  If so, it adds another reason to why I'll never go to one (along with the fact that it is always at the same place in the region that would require two total days of travel time in addition to the school time -- why the heck can't they move these things around?  Its not like the group attending is so large that other cheap facilities wouldn't be available in every Wing).

Eeyore

I have both the AF Service Dress and the G/W combo. I only wear the AF uniform when I'm participating at a cadet activity or a more formal activity. Simple reason, the G/W combo is way more comfortable for any lengthy wear. If I'm going to be sitting in a classroom all day, I'd rather be sitting in something comfortable.

RogueLeader

Which one and when?

The Rock Mountain RSC is held at Peterson AFB, which is very active, and the AF Blues were the predominant uniform.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have never seen a corporate or AF type uniform mandated as UOD.

I've always seen UOD mandates along the lines of "AF blue shirt/CAP equivalent" or "BDU's/CAP equivalent."

I have never seen a polo shirt mandated as the UOD, and I'd be out of luck if there were because I don't own one.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Fubar

Quote from: CyBorg on January 04, 2013, 11:01:56 PMI have never seen a polo shirt mandated as the UOD, and I'd be out of luck if there were because I don't own one.

I've seen this a few times during exercises, but only for personnel working at non-CAP facilities with other agencies, such as a command center or multi-agency "war room" like setup. From the pictures I've seen, my guess is the decision is based on the fact that everyone else in those pictures have been in polo shirts with agency names on them and there is a desire for our folks to fit-in. But that's just a guess, I'm just a few layers below were decisions get made.

I haven't heard any stories about anyone not being able to fullfil their assignment due to not having a polo shirt, but my wing is pretty polo-heavy.

futura

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 04, 2013, 09:59:49 PM

Which one and when?

The Rock Mountain RSC is held at Peterson AFB, which is very active, and the AF Blues were the predominant uniform.

2012 PRSC at Nellis AFB. Not manditory but strongly implied by past participants. Had about 80% G&W compliance. A very well run school in case anyone is interested in attending.

VNY

Quote from: NIN on January 03, 2013, 10:24:33 PMHe was literally the first officer I'd ever met who wore whites & greys who did not have to.

I don't have to either - I also wear GW by choice.  I have one (1) pair of USAF pants and I keep them hanging under my CAP service coat so they don't get mixed up with my CGA uniforms.

The shirts are the same but the pants are different.  But not so different you can't get them mixed up, and not notice you have on the wrong pair until you are standing in a group.

Devil Doc

I wear it because thats the only uniform i can wear. I still shave and have my hair cut(Most of the Time). I wear aviator sunglasses with it, i look like im an airline pilot, lol.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

jspear

Ditto what Ned said....

Especially the part about an understanding wife, and a BIG closet !!!!
Lt. Col. Jack E. Spear, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson #280
Henderson Composite Squadron
PCR-NV-065
"Proudly serving since 1980"

Thrashed

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 06, 2013, 11:27:57 PM
I wear it because thats the only uniform i can wear. I still shave and have my hair cut(Most of the Time). I wear aviator sunglasses with it, i look like im an airline pilot, lol.

I am an airline pilot, so I have about 8 white shirts to choose from.  ;)

Save the triangle thingy

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Devil Doc on January 06, 2013, 11:27:57 PM

The question wasn't aimed at you, because you say that you must wear that combo...my question was intended for those who don't have to, but choose to.  Maybe my wording wasn't clear enough, and for that I apologise.

Quote from: Thrashed on January 07, 2013, 09:22:38 PM
I am an airline pilot, so I have about 8 white shirts to choose from.  ;)

That's cheating.  You don't count. :) ;) :D ;D 8) :P
Exiled from GLR-MI-011