CAP medal, ribbon and assorted shiny bits site

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, May 19, 2012, 05:58:03 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I am unsure if anyone here on CT has seen this site...I just happened to stumble on it.

It is pretty good, but I do not know why the site does not list awards for seniors. ???

http://www.marksmedals.com/CAP.html
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Major Carrales

Quote from: cnitas on May 22, 2012, 05:21:44 PM
Cause I'm a lazy bum thats why!   ;)

Really?  You are that person, I've been going to that site for a while now for various reason and had no idea you were "that" mark. 

One thing that is less than a clear message from this thread is that people need to apply a degress of temperance in their language when describing people's webpages on CAPTALK.  Many times there are people behind the website that your language can affect.  I have witnessed a few times, and maybe participated in such ridicule a while back before I gave it much thought, people railing on a website or photograph as if it was just begotten.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

The CyBorg is destroyed

Which is one reason I kept my description of it relatively neutral.

I just wanted to post the link so others who hadn't seen it could see Major Piersall's collection.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Abby.L

I wish Vanguard made their insignia like that. That nice, dull, but good-looking color. I'd buy some of those...
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

SarDragon

Quote from: Levilockling on May 23, 2012, 12:22:23 AM
I wish Vanguard made their insignia like that. That nice, dull, but good-looking color. I'd buy some of those...

Vanguard manufactures to a specification. In this case CAP, with AF oversite, says make this insignia, in this style, and we get to buy the resulting product. The company didn't make the changes, CAP and the AF did.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Abby.L

Quote from: SarDragon on May 23, 2012, 12:51:01 AM

Vanguard manufactures to a specification. In this case CAP, with AF oversite, says make this insignia, in this style, and we get to buy the resulting product. The company didn't make the changes, CAP and the AF did.

That's depressing... Well, time to go antique insignia shopping!  ;D
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

SarDragon

Quote from: Levilockling on May 23, 2012, 02:32:38 AM

I'm hoping this for display, and not actual wear.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ThatOneGuy

Quote from: SarDragon on May 23, 2012, 07:17:21 AM

+1000. I cannot say how much I despise people wearing old, outdated and improper insignia on the uniform. Have a pair of WW2 CAP wings? Cool, don't wear them on the uniform. JMHO of course.

cnitas

Yes, its my website.  My intention was to present the insignia more as a historical collection from my cadet days, not as a complete CAP ribbon guide. 

It has been ages since I've updated the CAP pages, and I never quite got the CAP section completed- so I realize its not perfect.....  If only there were more hours in the day I might 1 day finish everything  :D

My true collecting niche is Romanian orders and medals, and I have met and corresponded with many interesting people all over the world in this pursuit.  I have also been amazed at how many people have grandpa's old medals in a box and have no idea what they are or why they were awarded.  It is always interesting and rewarding and  to get an email with a photo, saying so and so was in the war and here is his stuff....can you help us figure out what he did?

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Abby.L

Quote from: superLt1995 on May 23, 2012, 02:41:13 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on May 23, 2012, 07:17:21 AM

+1000. I cannot say how much I despise people wearing old, outdated and improper insignia on the uniform. Have a pair of WW2 CAP wings? Cool, don't wear them on the uniform. JMHO of course.

But of course....  :P
Even if the older insignia are higher-quality, better looking, and usually cheaper....  :angel:

Disclaimer: Nothing I've said here is serious. I understand that Vanguard makes bad products, and that wearing something of good-quality would make me stick out like a sore thumb.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Major Carrales

Quote from: Levilockling on May 23, 2012, 03:38:33 PM

Disclaimer: Nothing I've said here is serious. I understand that Vanguard makes bad products, and that wearing something of good-quality would make me stick out like a sore thumb.

Vanguard makes most if not all the insignia of the US Armed forces...thus, we cannot just knock Vanguard as being cheap with out knocking US military insignia in general.  It's a "logic box" type argument.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Vanguard has been supplying insignia to the military for a long time. Quality issues are due as much to the specs provided by the owner (USAF, CAP, etc), as they might be to the manufacturing process.

The materials have changed because of cost and maintenance issues. Silver makes a better looking badge, but requires frequent shining, which alters the appearance over time. The newer materials do not forge or stamp as well as silver, so the definition of the features suffers.

Don't forget, the owner has approved this stuff. Vanguard makes it according to the spec, and provides samples for approval before going into production. Let's not blame this entirely on Vanguard.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: cnitas on May 23, 2012, 02:53:09 PM
Yes, its my website.  My intention was to present the insignia more as a historical collection from my cadet days, not as a complete CAP ribbon guide. 

My true collecting niche is Romanian orders and medals, and I have met and corresponded with many interesting people all over the world in this pursuit. 

Have you checked out this page?  It has probably the most truly worldwide setup I've seen, including Romania from its Royalist, Communist and present-day Republic eras.

http://www.medals.pl/

It also has a pretty good CAP ribbon checker...one thing you can do with it is mix CAP ribbons with others to see what order of precedence it gives you (note: I didn't say the precedence would necessarily be accurate).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011