Main Menu

Another hat idea

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, April 23, 2012, 05:49:08 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

A possible source for headgear for the G/W combo?

http://www.baylyhats.com/search.php?cat=4&subcat=87&title=Military_Headwear#

The one I would particularly favour is the USA Cadet Style:

Again...worn without insignia, it's a civilian hat.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Angus

Why do we need to add to that uniform?  It's fine the way it is. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Abby.L

I'd say to make it optional. There are no "Dress" covers(a CAP approved ball cap is allowed, however) for the G/W, and there really should be, as it is the alternative to AF Blues. Just my two cents.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

arajca

If this does get adopted, or submitted for adoption, require the senior flight cap device. The device ain't that expensive and helps maintain parity with the service uniform.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Flint on April 23, 2012, 04:38:57 PM

Yes...it's colourless and has no real way to perform customs and courtesies outside.  Quite fine.  Of course, I acknowledge that there are those who choose that uniform precisely because there are very little standards for it, and because you can largely get out of C&C's.

Quote from: Levilockling on April 23, 2012, 06:20:49 PM
I'd say to make it optional. There are no "Dress" covers(a CAP approved ball cap is allowed, however) for the G/W, and there really should be, as it is the alternative to AF Blues. Just my two cents.

Very true, since the CSU was taken from us, we don't have any real alternative, and that's my point.

Of course, 39-1 is clear as mud on what a "CAP approved ball cap" is, which looks GOOFY with what is supposed to be a semidress uniform anyway.

Quote from: arajca on April 23, 2012, 07:03:07 PM
If this does get adopted, or submitted for adoption, require the senior flight cap device. The device ain't that expensive and helps maintain parity with the service uniform.

I doubt it will ever get submitted, because somewhere along the line the corporatists will reject/suppress it.  That's why I suggest - no insignia, makes it a civilian hat.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Abby.L

Quote from: CyBorg on April 23, 2012, 07:05:09 PM
Quote from: Flint on April 23, 2012, 04:38:57 PM

Yes...it's colourless and has no real way to perform customs and courtesies outside.  Quite fine.  Of course, I acknowledge that there are those who choose that uniform precisely because there are very little standards for it, and because you can largely get out of C&C's.

Quote from: Levilockling on April 23, 2012, 06:20:49 PM

Very true, since the CSU was taken from us, we don't have any real alternative, and that's my point.

Of course, 39-1 is clear as mud on what a "CAP approved ball cap" is, which looks GOOFY with what is supposed to be a semidress uniform anyway.

Quote from: arajca on April 23, 2012, 07:03:07 PM

I doubt it will ever get submitted, because somewhere along the line the corporatists will reject/suppress it.  That's why I suggest - no insignia, makes it a civilian hat.

As I said, make it optional. As for the civilian aspect; How many commanders would really let someone get away with something that looks that military? It would be like putting on a 1940's USAAF officer's cap... It would have a distinct military aire to it. All you'd be doing is trying to get away with something military-looking by passing it off for civilian.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Levilockling on April 23, 2012, 07:17:34 PM
As I said, make it optional. As for the civilian aspect; How many commanders would really let someone get away with something that looks that military? It would be like putting on a 1940's USAAF officer's cap... It would have a distinct military aire to it. All you'd be doing is trying to get away with something military-looking by passing it off for civilian.

Yes, make it optional.

And, indeed, despite appearances, without military designation it is a civilian cap, though maybe a beret comes closer to that (and we know what CT'ers generally think of those).

But how much more "military" would it look than this off-the-shelf, completely non-military, airline pilot's cap?

I just don't get the idea of wearing a "CAP ball cap" (which is undefined anyway) with what is supposed to be a "dressier" uniform.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Sgt. Fischer

Quote from: CyBorg on April 23, 2012, 05:49:08 AM
A possible source for headgear for the G/W combo?

http://www.baylyhats.com/search.php?cat=4&subcat=87&title=Military_Headwear#

The one I would particularly favour is the USA Cadet Style:

Again...worn without insignia, it's a civilian hat.

Well, they already have those hats. but, they're for SM's only.

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Abby.L

The hat would actually be closer to the General Grade flight(Garrison) cap. 2dLt through Colonel have the same flight cap, composed of blue and silver rhombuses(Think of what any SM cap looks like). However, the General Grade cap has a solid silver trim, similar to this. I'm not sure where this cap is based out of(USAFA? WP?), but it would still be pretty distinct. If anything, we could adopt a plain, dark trimmed garrison cap, so that the RM doesn't even THINK that a CAP SM in G/W is really in the military.

MODIFIED to show examples.

General Grade AF: http://www.bernardcap.com/caps/images/23933DL.jpg

2dLt-Col: http://www.bernardcap.com/caps/images/23932DL.jpg

Enlisted: http://www.bernardcap.com/caps/images/23931DL.jpg
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

The CyBorg is destroyed

I THINK the example I posted is black with silver piping.

Another possibility: the West Point garrison cap.

Bernard Cap lists this one as "foreign military"...whatever that means.

This one's out of left field, but I found it on Evilbay.  It's a garrison cap from the Bulgarian Air Force; looks like grey with light blue piping.

This kind is from the Royal Military College of Canada (like our West Point), though of course the badge would have to go and the buttons could be replaced with CAP buttons.

This one's more like you're suggesting...but we'd have to get authorisation from the Navy.

What I'm aiming for is something that would cause a minimum of fuss with "wearing military with civilian clothes," even though the WP grey cap could come close to that.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Nathan

I just don't get why a hat is needed at all. If it's raining or the sun is in your eyes, then a flight cap won't help anyway, so people who get to wear the baseball caps are better off anyway.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Abby.L

Quote from: Nathan on April 26, 2012, 06:50:33 PM
I just don't get why a hat is needed at all. If it's raining or the sun is in your eyes, then a flight cap won't help anyway, so people who get to wear the baseball caps are better off anyway.

I think it really comes down to the fact that the G/W is a dress(Or, as close as we could come to it), and there is no cap that is associated with it. It's the equivalent to the AF short/long-sleeve blues, and they're required to have a cap, regardless of if it's flight or service that's chosen. Also, one could argue the idea of uniformity. When a group of people in G/W are with a group of people with AF Blues, it's rather noticable that the G/W's have no cap on. While a minor problem to us, people on the outside might be questioning that.

Just my two cents.  ;D
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Levilockling on April 26, 2012, 07:17:26 PM
I think it really comes down to the fact that the G/W is a dress(Or, as close as we could come to it), and there is no cap that is associated with it. It's the equivalent to the AF short/long-sleeve blues, and they're required to have a cap, regardless of if it's flight or service that's chosen. Also, one could argue the idea of uniformity. When a group of people in G/W are with a group of people with AF Blues, it's rather noticable that the G/W's have no cap on. While a minor problem to us, people on the outside might be questioning that.

Just my two cents.  ;D

Correctimundo.

That was one thing that was potentially solved by the CSU...but we got our knuckles rapped over that.

I wear both the AF blue and the G/W...but I really feel odd outside without a hat on, and even odder saluting/returning salutes outside without one.

It's nothing to do with keeping the sun out of your eyes.

I think the people who say "no hat!" do so because the G/W uniform is, frankly, about as non-uniform as you can get.  The only specs are white shirt, grey trousers, black belt...and that's it.  No shades (grey and white aren't colours, anyway), cut or manufacturer.  The only "uniformity" is the CAP insignia.  A lot of these same people get irritated when suggestions are made to make the G/W more of a true "uniform."

This is why I say that many styles of hat, without insignia, are civilian hats and wearable with the grey/white.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Nathan

I think the whole "getting a hat" thing is attempting to side-step the reason that the G/W combo exists in the first place. The USAF doesn't seem to be comfortable with the idea that anyone look remotely like the military when they are outside of weight or grooming standards. That's all there is to it.

So when you try to say, "We should be uniform with the guys in blues", you're saying, "We should look like the guys in blues", which is saying, "We should look like the guys in the military uniforms."

And the fact that the G/W uniform isn't a blues uniform obviously doesn't matter, as demonstrated by the CSU. If the USAF is worried about people who LOOK like the military being associated with the military, then you see the problem with taking any steps toward uniformity with the guys who look like the military, right?
Nathan Scalia

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Nathan on April 26, 2012, 08:03:48 PM
I think the whole "getting a hat" thing is attempting to side-step the reason that the G/W combo exists in the first place. The USAF doesn't seem to be comfortable with the idea that anyone look remotely like the military when they are outside of weight or grooming standards. That's all there is to it.

So when you try to say, "We should be uniform with the guys in blues", you're saying, "We should look like the guys in blues", which is saying, "We should look like the guys in the military uniforms."

And the fact that the G/W uniform isn't a blues uniform obviously doesn't matter, as demonstrated by the CSU. If the USAF is worried about people who LOOK like the military being associated with the military, then you see the problem with taking any steps toward uniformity with the guys who look like the military, right?

Your logic is flawed, committing the fallacy of hasty generalisation.

CAP, not the Air Force, kiboshed the CSU.  The AF was OK with it after we made the modifications they asked.

There is absolutely NO proof that the AF is "worried" about the G/W looking "too military."  If that were the case, it would still look like it did pre-1995: no ribbons, no rank, no epaulettes, only the blazer nameplate.  I remember that.

I believe that the vast majority of uniform "worries" is a holdover from the berry boards days.  If the AF indeed had that kind of problem, we wouldn't be allowed to wear their uniform at all.

Anyway, the G/W already looks like some military services, the German Bundeswehr among them.

Remove the grey service coat and you have a white shirt, dark grey trousers and grey rank slides.  I've seen them.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Sgt. Fischer

Stay Alert!
Stay Alive!
CAP Safety!

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

PHall

CyBorg, what is with this hat fixation of yours?

Seriously dude, you're starting to get a bit creepy.

Nathan

Quote from: CyBorg on April 26, 2012, 09:18:02 PM
Quote from: Nathan on April 26, 2012, 08:03:48 PM

Your logic is flawed, committing the fallacy of hasty generalisation.

CAP, not the Air Force, kiboshed the CSU.  The AF was OK with it after we made the modifications they asked.

I made no such "hasty generalisation [sic]." I never said that the USAF nixed the CSU. What I did assert was that the USAF did not allow people who were out of their uniform standards to wear the military uniform, because they don't want people to mistake an overweight or bearded individual for a military officer.

That's all the information you really need. You assert that G/W wearers should be "uniform" with those who wear the military clothes. If the USAF wanted people outside of military standards to look more like the guys in the USAF uniform, then they would have authorized it for everyone. They have not, which is why the G/W combo exists. It is SUPPOSED to look civilian, and making it look more military demonstrates that the whole point of the uniform is going over your head.

If I had my way, everyone would be in a corporate uniform, cadets included, BTW. But that's neither here nor there. My point is that by trying to make the civilian uniform look more military, you're defeating the whole point of the uniform's existence. It's a CAP uniform, regardless of whether or not it has a hat. Why can't you be proud of that?

Quote from: CyBorg on April 26, 2012, 09:18:02 PMAnyway, the G/W already looks like some military services, the German Bundeswehr among them.

I'm sure there is a big concern right now at USAF HQ that overweight CAP members are being mistaken for German federal defense force members by the civilian population.
Nathan Scalia