I really want to join CAP, DO I have to cut my hair?

Started by kyle413, April 14, 2012, 04:17:49 PM

kyle413

I recently got very interested in CAP, and talked to a local squadron and I'm attending a meeting soon, but my question is do i have to cut my hair? most of my hair is fairly short but I have bangs that are about half an inch above my eyebrow. I feel uncomfortable without bangs, are they going to make me cut them?

Camas

Thank you for your interest in Civil Air Patrol. Having said that you must realize (and I'm sure you do) that CAP has very exacting standards when it comes to grooming standards for all members. I don't know if you're male or female but you should go ahead, visit the unit and interact with some of the cadet staff members. I won't bore you with all the grooming details here; your cadet staff can assist you in whether or not you meet grooming standards and if, in fact, CAP is the right program for you. Perhaps you know some of these cadets in school or in your neighborhood. Good luck to you and I hope you'll make the right decision that meets your needs.

kyle413

OK, (I'm a male btw) yeah I go to the meeting this monday and I guess I'll talk to them about it. I read the standards but I had a bit of trouble understanding them.

GTCommando

First, welcome to CAPTalk!

As far as bangs go, here's a quote from Attachment 2 (attached) of the uniform manual.

QuoteBangs: Not below eyebrows and not exposed when headgear is worn.

So, if you can wear a flight cap or BDU patrol cap (your squadron staff will explain what those are) and not have bangs visible, you're good to go. Otherwise, you may need to have them trimmed.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

kyle413

OK, SO If i wore like an elastic band or something that held it back, I'd be okay?

manfredvonrichthofen

Don't worry about any bands... When you are in uniform just put some hair gell or something in and sweep it to the side. I have a high and tight with bangs, and I just put gell in it. Otherwise my hair would go pat my headgear too. It's really no problem at all.

kyle413

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 14, 2012, 04:44:57 PM
Don't worry about any bands... When you are in uniform just put some hair gell or something in and sweep it to the side. I have a high and tight with bangs, and I just put gell in it. Otherwise my hair would go pat my headgear too. It's really no problem at all.
OH ok, thats a huge relief, thanks.

AngelWings

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 14, 2012, 04:44:57 PM
Same here. I gell mine and, with the sides of my head clean shaven, people think I have a buzz cut or I am bald.

ColonelJack

I wish I could offer some advice.  My hair's in a race to see which will happen first - will it turn gray or will it fall out?

I was just combing what I've got left and looked at the hairs in the comb with mixed feelings.  They were gray ... but they were HAIR!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

The CyBorg is destroyed

Is this a potential cadet or senior member?

If the latter, a senior can wear his/her hair as they wish, if they wear one of the CAP "alternative" uniforms.

ColonelJack: Sir, I'm 46 and I've been greying since I was a teenager.  I had grey hair at the time of my high school graduation (1984).

Now I'm almost completely white/silver haired, though I'm thinning a bit up top too.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

kyle413

Quote from: CyBorg on April 14, 2012, 10:43:42 PM
Is this a potential cadet or senior member?

If the latter, a senior can wear his/her hair as they wish, if they wear one of the CAP "alternative" uniforms.

ColonelJack: Sir, I'm 46 and I've been greying since I was a teenager.  I had grey hair at the time of my high school graduation (1984).

Now I'm almost completely white/silver haired, though I'm thinning a bit up top too.
Potential cadet

usafcap1

Quote from: kyle413 on April 14, 2012, 04:17:49 PM
I recently got very interested in CAP, and talked to a local squadron and I'm attending a meeting soon, but my question is do i have to cut my hair? most of my hair is fairly short but I have bangs that are about half an inch above my eyebrow. I feel uncomfortable without bangs, are they going to make me cut them?

Yes. . . but different squadrons do it differently if your hair is short and in CAPR 39-1 regs then your fine. BUT. . . if you are not you will have to cut it. Ask your staff, also known as NCOs or Flight Sgt. if your hair is good or not. (Hair can not be touching ears and can not be touching back of collar.) Now if you were at my squadron we would give TWO chances before we 'd cut it off. . . but that my squadron. Different squadrons do it different ways.

( [lmgtfy]CAPR 39-1[/lmgtfy] )

By The Way Welcome aboard  8)
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: usafcap1 on April 19, 2012, 12:46:14 AM
Now if you were at my squadron we would give TWO chances before we 'd cut it off. . . but that my squadron.

And how many times has your unit done this?

Extremepredjudice

Now if you were at my squadron we would give TWO chances before we 'd cut it off. . . but that my squadron.
What gives you the right to cut someone's hair off? ???
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

AngelWings

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 19, 2012, 12:51:05 AM
What gives you the right to cut someone's hair off? ???
How does paying money to wear a uniform give them any right to disrespect the people who wore it in service to this country?  :o

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Littleguy on April 19, 2012, 01:12:41 AM
How does paying money to wear a uniform give them any right to disrespect the people who wore it in service to this country?  :o

What?

AngelWings

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 19, 2012, 01:13:18 AM
Quote from: Littleguy on April 19, 2012, 01:12:41 AM

What?
All a CAP member has to do to get the right to wear a CAP uniform is to pay money to national and their squadron, while the USAF has to go through 8 weeks of BMT for enlisted, or through whatever commisioning source to get the right to wear their uniform. What gives any CAP member the right to disrespect the uniform in such a way to come in with a slovenly haircut that in the USAF wouldn't fly and disrespects their service and commitment to adhere to standards?

SarDragon

Small, but important point - it's not a right, it's a privilege.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AngelWings

Quote from: SarDragon on April 19, 2012, 01:20:49 AM
Small, but important point - it's not a right, it's a privilege.
If I said right, I meant privilege.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Littleguy on April 19, 2012, 01:19:02 AM
All a CAP member has to do to get the right to wear a CAP uniform is to pay money to national and their squadron

That is incorrect.

while the USAF has to go through 8 weeks of BMT for enlisted, or through whatever commisioning source to get the right to wear their uniform.

Has no point in this issue.

What gives any CAP member the right to disrespect the uniform in such a way to come in with a slovenly haircut that in the USAF wouldn't fly and disrespects their service and commitment to adhere to standards?

Nobody said they have any right to it. The issue is with this squadron "policy" not whether the member in question has a right to have improper hair styles.