What about this jacket?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, October 29, 2011, 05:02:25 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

OK, then...

I've read 39-1 with its many contradictions.

Would this jacket be acceptable as a blue CAP flight jacket to wear with the blue utility suit and the G/W?  Note: NOT with any AF uniform combo!

Yes, it is an old AF Security Police jacket, but it is almost identical in colour and cut to a CWU-45.

Please...no overparsing of 39-1 to "how many angels can stand on the head of a pin" extent...I do that myself and it gives me a headache. :-\
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

SarDragon

I'd probably wear it, if I had one. But then, I'm not the foremost authority on "proper" uniform. I use too much common sense for some folks' tastes.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Short Field

Quote from: CyBorg on October 29, 2011, 05:02:25 AM
it is almost identical in colour and cut to a CWU-45.
Seems like you have the answer.  If I am 5' tall and 400 lbs, can I hire someone to hand tailor a set of blues that are almost identical in colour and cut to the USAF Style Blues and wear them to meetings?  It would be the same as wearing civilian clothes... right?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

MIKE

The CWU-45 etc is not authorized with the blue bags (if worn with insignia.)  The MA-1 is the only blue flight jacket authorized by CAPM 39-1.
Mike Johnston

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MIKE on October 29, 2011, 02:17:16 PM
The CWU-45 etc is not authorized with the blue bags (if worn with insignia.)  The MA-1 is the only blue flight jacket authorized by CAPM 39-1.

Are you sure about that, Mike?  The MA-1 is what is in the pictures, but it's not specified in the manual.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

MIKE

Because The CWU-45 and the MA-1 is specifically authorized for the green bag.
Mike Johnston

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MIKE on October 29, 2011, 04:56:11 PM
Because The CWU-45 and the MA-1 is specifically authorized for the green bag.

That is true.  I just checked 39-1 on that.

However, for the blue set, there is no prescribed type of blue flight jacket.

Ref: Tables 4-5 and 4-6, CAPM 39-1, p. 86
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Ed Bos

I think you're ok to wear that particular jacket for a couple of reasons:

1) No prescribed outerwear in the Blue FDU, utility coveralls, or other corporate uniform;

2) The current  CWU-45 used by the AF is green;

3) The blue jacket in a similar cut is not an AF uniform item (anymore) ergo it is a civilian outer garment;

4) It would look professional with the Blue FDU and the utility coveralls.

I say go for it.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

MIKE

Quote from: CyBorg on October 29, 2011, 05:03:25 PM
However, for the blue set, there is no prescribed type of blue flight jacket.

Ref: Tables 4-5 and 4-6, CAPM 39-1, p. 86

Because only the type depicted is authorized... Says as much in in the cite.  Just replace CAPMart with Vanguard as the only authorized source.  Otherwise wear what you want as long as it's devoid of insignia.
Mike Johnston

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MIKE on October 29, 2011, 05:27:11 PM
Because only the type depicted is authorized... Says as much in in the cite.  Just replace CAPMart with Vanguard as the only authorized source.  Otherwise wear what you want as long as it's devoid of insignia.

I didn't get the same interpretation of "says as much in the cite" as you, Mike...nor has there been an ICL specifying Vanguard as the only authorised source.  CAPMart was operated by CAP.  VG is not.  It would be like saying that Lighthouse is the only authorised source for CGAUX uniforms.

Also, if that is the case, then the blue flight jacket isn't authorised at all, because Vanguard only stocks the sage green one.

I know a lot of people who are up the creek, then...because there are a lot of people wearing black A-2's (properly), BBDU's and blue utility suits who did not get them from Vanguard, myself included (their utility jumpsuit is kind of a K Mart special quality wise).

If it says "CAP" on it, VG, like it or not, is the only authorised source for new garments/insignia (there's always Evilbay), as The Hock Shop found out.  Otherwise...

Short Field: I am not talking about fabricating an entire new uniform from the word go to imitate the AF blues.

Unfortunately, this has gone a lot farther into parsing than I intended...not that anyone cares, but a new, definitive, cut-and-dried "do wear this, don't wear that" 39-1 is SORELY needed, because there are some Texas-sized holes in the current one.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

arajca

Quote from: CyBorg on October 29, 2011, 05:57:19 PM
...not that anyone cares, but a new, definitive, cut-and-dried "do wear this, don't wear that" 39-1 is SORELY needed, because there are some Texas-sized holes in the current one.
And this is news, how exactly?

Despite several offers from the field, National has decided (by a lack of response) that the current CAPM 39-1 system is the most appropriate system to use.

blackrain

I prefer a straight black A-2 style without any insignia. If I pay near $300 for a leather jacket I really don't want it cluttered with insignia or the Velcro. On another note I have to ask why the Air Force sees fit to spend taxpayer money in this day and time on leather jackets for their aircrew. Not much in the overall scheme but still wonder why
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

SarDragon

The Canoe Club does the same thing, and I'm sure it's mostly a tradition thing. The leather jacket is cooler when flying in warmer times and areas.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

I got my A-2 used for under $100 on Evilbay.

Use some leather adhesive for the hook-and-loops for your MAJCOM shield and brown/black nameplate and you're GTG.

Arajca: Am I correct in interpreting that you're saying we've got to stick it out with a horribly outdated 39-1 and an endless series of ICL's that often contradict each other, not to mention submitted enquiries to National that very often go unanswered?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

I've worn my A2 with the liner in temps down to the 20's in Alaska with no problems. Stayed nice and warm.

blackrain

Leather Jackets have a few advantages in my book. While not Nomex leather does have a certain amount of inherent fire resistance and at it's not going to melt like nylon. Also a lot of flight jackets are bulkier whether Nomex or Nylon and with some of our "adult sized" flight crews a 182 can get cramped especially with the bulkier jackets. The A-2 style with Thinsulate is not too bulky but as PHALL stated will keep you warm on all but the really really cold days. Finally I feel better about my expensive jacket when I can wear it with regular street clothes and not just for CAP.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Short Field

Quote from: CyBorg on October 29, 2011, 05:57:19 PM
Short Field: I am not talking about fabricating an entire new uniform from the word go to imitate the AF blues.
Sorry, I couldn't tell it was really blue and not the standard sage green for flight jackets in the pictue.  No issues at all if it is blue.  I see people around here wearing brown leather jackets with their whites that look "almost" like the A-2 Leather Jacket.  It doesn't help matters when put the leather CAP name tag on it that goes on the black A-2. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

The CyBorg is destroyed

Short Field: No worries, mate.

I haven't seen CAP members wearing the brown leather jacket wrongly when they're not supposed to the way you have.

Without the nameplate, it's just another civilian leather jacket, but when they stick the nameplate/CAP shield on, they're violating regs.

What's the big deal if the A-2 is brown or black?  If the AF says we don't wear brown, black looks just as good and keeps you warm just as well.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

titanII

Quote from: CyBorg on October 30, 2011, 09:23:05 PM
What's the big deal if the A-2 is brown or black?  If the AF says we don't wear brown, black looks just as good and keeps you warm just as well.
While black does look just as good, I think the AF said "stay away from brown, CAP" because in my mind the brown A-2 invokes images of the  Air Force, WWII bomber crews, B-17s, etc.
In other words, the brown A-2 is too Air Force for CAP.*

*not my opinion, but what I think the Air Force thinks
No longer active on CAP talk

PHall

Hey, the black jacket just makes us look like Southwest Airlines pilots. And I haven't heard any complaints from them.

Yet... >:D