Venting About Uniform Purchase Hassles

Started by ProdigalJim, September 28, 2011, 08:53:55 PM

BradM

Quote from: ProdigalJim on September 29, 2011, 12:07:09 AM
^^^ BradM- That's good stuff. But how do I know I'm getting the right shade, matched, etc.?

For the service coat:
http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-usaf-officer-blue-uniform-coat-3633.aspx

United States Air Force Officer Blue Coat. 55% Polyester/45% Wool.
The Jacket consists of a three-button, pocketless coat. The Jacket is in Air Force Shade 1620 ("Air Force Blue").

For the trousers:
http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-us-air-force-class-a-dress-uniform-trousers-6662.aspx

These US Air Force class A dress uniform trousers are worn with the long or short sleeve shirts, they come with belt loops and are of the same shade (Air Force 55/45 PolyWool Shade 1620) as the service dress coat and the PolyWool garrison cap.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

md

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 29, 2011, 04:42:54 PM
Quote from: md on September 29, 2011, 02:20:54 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 28, 2011, 09:49:35 PM
Also Vanguard is the official supplier of CAP uniforms, and they will have everything you need, though not necessarily as cheap as AAFES,
but at least you can shop[ online.

Try being female and finding anything you need at Vanguard...

And that's my \rant

If your CT Name  MD indicates that you live in Maryland, Andrews AFB has no problem allowing CAP members to access the base and get to the BX  and Uniform Sales stores.

Yes, thanks, that's pretty much what I did! Local AFB was happy to oblige me, and it was nice to actually try things on.

AlphaSigOU

Here's another thing, for those of us who are DoD civilian contract employees overseas: you can purchase almost anything from the AAFES online exchange except military uniforms. You can look all you want, see the pricing and catalog numbers but cannot place any uniform item in your shopping cart. (The exception is for military retirees.)

Here on Kwajalein, there is no MCSS (about 20 green-suiters). I wound up ordering my mess dress uniform by making a special order with the Kwaj AAFES general manager, and after explaining my situation to him he had no problem ordering it. I then had to send the uniform to my family in Vegas; the day after I arrive there I have to run over to the alterations shop at Nellis to get my trousers hemmed, dark blue braid put on after adjusting the sleeves, and add the shoulder loops for the mess dress shoulder boards.Gonna be expensive to get it done rush service but I'd rather see it done right. (I already have the rest of the insignia for mess dress.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

sandman

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 01, 2011, 08:02:56 AM
Here's another thing, for those of us who are DoD civilian contract employees overseas: you can purchase almost anything from the AAFES online exchange except military uniforms. You can look all you want, see the pricing and catalog numbers but cannot place any uniform item in your shopping cart. (The exception is for military retirees.)

Here on Kwajalein, there is no MCSS (about 20 green-suiters). I wound up ordering my mess dress uniform by making a special order with the Kwaj AAFES general manager, and after explaining my situation to him he had no problem ordering it. I then had to send the uniform to my family in Vegas; the day after I arrive there I have to run over to the alterations shop at Nellis to get my trousers hemmed, dark blue braid put on after adjusting the sleeves, and add the shoulder loops for the mess dress shoulder boards.Gonna be expensive to get it done rush service but I'd rather see it done right. (I already have the rest of the insignia for mess dress.)

Maj C,
I bought a nice ball cap at Macy's a few years ago (still called Macy's?) and is starting to wear out. Could you ship a couple of ball caps from the Kwaj store please? The one I have has a khaki crown, a darker khaki bill, with "Kwajalein Atoll" and a side view sea turtle embroidered on the front along with a small RMI flag embroidered on the right side. I would really appreciate it. Quid Pro Quo; If you need items from AAFES, NEX, MCEX, CGEX, etc just let me know. Got yourself quite a paradise out there, eh?
Thanks!
MAJ C
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: sandman on October 01, 2011, 06:52:27 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 01, 2011, 08:02:56 AM

Maj C,
I bought a nice ball cap at Macy's a few years ago (still called Macy's?) and is starting to wear out. Could you ship a couple of ball caps from the Kwaj store please? The one I have has a khaki crown, a darker khaki bill, with "Kwajalein Atoll" and a side view sea turtle embroidered on the front along with a small RMI flag embroidered on the right side. I would really appreciate it. Quid Pro Quo; If you need items from AAFES, NEX, MCEX, CGEX, etc just let me know. Got yourself quite a paradise out there, eh?
Thanks!
MAJ C

While everyone still calls the exchange 'Macy's' (after 'Macy's of the Marshalls' since the end of WWII) it's now an AAFES facility. I haven't seen that particular ball cap design for sale (it was probably back in the days before AAFES took over). There are other Kwajalein-themed caps and souvenirs available. I can still get 'em for you.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

sandman

Thanks Maj C, Let me know what kind of interesting hats or t-shirts are available. PM me if you want to. (my RMI t-shirts are wearing out too, gonna be awhile before I get back out there to visit).
v/r
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: sandman on October 01, 2011, 08:48:44 PM
Thanks Maj C, Let me know what kind of interesting hats or t-shirts are available. PM me if you want to. (my RMI t-shirts are wearing out too, gonna be awhile before I get back out there to visit).
v/r

I can get you caps, T-shirts and other 'schwag' from not only the Kwaj PX, but also from the yacht club, scuba club, American Legion Post 44 (the only American Legion post meeting on  a military installation) and the sportsfishing club.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JC004

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on October 01, 2011, 10:35:46 PM
Quote from: sandman on October 01, 2011, 08:48:44 PM
v/r

I can get you caps, T-shirts and other 'schwag' from not only the Kwaj PX, but also from the yacht club, scuba club, American Legion Post 44 (the only American Legion post meeting on  a military installation) and the sportsfishing club.

I am starting the feel like I should go there so I can get the t-shirt and people will say "you went...where is that, exactly?"   >:D

MichelleTesla

Jim, where were you trying to go, as you don't live that far from me, and I can get on any base, so if we need to meet up (you are still at Prince William, right), shoot me a message if your issues haven't been resolved yet.
Maj. Michelle L. Anderson-Tesla
MER-VA-001
Mitchell #43030 - Earhart #10093 - Eaker #586

ProdigalJim

Quote from: MichelleTesla on October 27, 2011, 03:13:42 AM
Jim, where were you trying to go, as you don't live that far from me, and I can get on any base, so if we need to meet up (you are still at Prince William, right), shoot me a message if your issues haven't been resolved yet.

Email sent via my work email. And thanks!
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

LTC Don

We have a group that may be going to a nearby base and thus get to visit clothing sales next week.

I see there is a AAFES price list sticky up top.  Can someone in the know update that listing?

Cheers,
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891