The Grey Cap Thread

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, July 18, 2011, 07:22:03 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Since we're losing the CSU, and the (so far) unspoken Word From The Top is that any colours except grey and white for the "aviator shirt" uniform is verboten, especially the colour that dare not speak it's name...

A very minimum change to said uniform would be what a lot of people have been clamouring for - a hat.  A baseball cap looks a bit goofy with it, even an authorised squadron one (and the ones from Vanguard are TCTDNSIN!).

My idea is to come up with a flight cap-type headdress in the safe, acceptable-to-the-brass grey.  I would say with TCTDNSIN piping but that might get the nervous Nellies in a twist.

After all, no way would the AF approve the flight cap for that uniform, even though it's already approved for the blue flight suit but not the nearly-identical utility suit, and that the AF tie is approved for the G/W. ::)

This is a Swiss surplus item, but it could be a good template for a design of our own...or, take the Swiss insignia off and wear it as is.  With no insignia, it is not identifiable as a military hat, especially since this cut and colour are not worn by any U.S. uniformed service.

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Persona non grata

Just use the USAF FLT cap as a template and change the color.  While your at it, have the same people tat make the USAF pants make them in a grey color.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: eaker.cadet on July 18, 2011, 07:26:39 PM
Just use the USAF FLT cap as a template and change the color.  While your at it, have the same people tat make the USAF pants make them in a grey color.

I thought of that, but I doubt the AF would go for it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Hawk200

Why is a hat so desperately needed for the corporate uniform? Seems like every week someone's posting an idea for a grey hat for the corporate uniform. Nothing is broken, what is the attempt trying to fix?

PHall

This is a solution looking for a problem. Is there a need for a hat with the aviator shirt uniform?
This particular uniform combination has been around for about 20 years and there hasn't been a need for a hat before.
So why do we need one now?

The CyBorg is destroyed

I personally know a lot of people wearing the G/W who say they feel odd being outside, uniformed, without a hat, especially when saluting/returning a salute.

I would stand the question on its head (pun intended):

What is wrong with having a hat?  It wouldn't be that much more out-of-pocket, since it likely wouldn't be as expensive as the USAF flight cap.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

EMT-83

Quote from: CyBorg on July 18, 2011, 07:22:03 PM
Since we're losing the CSU, and the (so far) unspoken Word From The Top is that any colours except grey and white for the "aviator shirt" uniform is verboten, especially the colour that dare not speak it's name...

You know something that we don't know?

titanII

IF it was determined that G/W's were in DIRE need of some form of headgear, then yes. This would be the best option (IMO). However, besides "members feeling odd" I don't see any reason to add a cover. Please continue to provide reasons, though. I love it when learning changes my opinion  :D.
No longer active on CAP talk

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: titanII on July 18, 2011, 09:45:00 PM
IF it was determined that G/W's were in DIRE need of some form of headgear, then yes. This would be the best option (IMO). However, besides "members feeling odd" I don't see any reason to add a cover. Please continue to provide reasons, though. I love it when learning changes my opinion  :D .

Simply to give the uniform a uniform appearance. Even it a bit out against blues? Make a decent, ribbon allowed blazer? Etc.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: EMT-83 on July 18, 2011, 09:41:50 PM
Quote from: CyBorg on July 18, 2011, 07:22:03 PM

You know something that we don't know?

Just my being sarky in the aftermath of the CSU debacle...phasing out a popular uniform because of undocumented, unverifiable perceptions that the AF didn't like it, and then taking the illogical (to me) step of partially "greying" said uniform (if the bloody thing is being phased out anyway, why require changes to it?) and how our august leadership seem to be snakebitten by any shade of uniform other than white and grey, but especially any shade of blue potentially displeasing the AF, even though the AF does not have a copyright on all shades of blue.

Just my twisted humour...though in all seriousness I am surprised that a change hasn't been made to a grey blazer coat and grey tie.

TitanII: I'm not sure of my personal experience is of a persuasive nature to you, but whenever I have worn/seen uniforms, they have always included headgear of some sort.

As a Cub Scout, I wore the little beanie-type blue-and-gold cap.
As a Boy Scout, I wore both a garrison cap and a red beret.
Police officers have headgear for their uniforms, even if they're not always worn.
Firefighters have headgear for their dress uniforms.
Even US Power Squadrons have an authorised headgear.

What I am trying to get at is that the headgear would provide a sense of completion to the uniform.

Would making such a hypothetical headgear optional be more up your street?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

AirDX

One more (IMHO) uneccessary uniform item to buy and keep track of.

1.  That type of hat looks kind of stupid if you have longer hair sticking out from under it (I don't, but many do).
2.  That style hat serves no purpose.  Doesn't shade your eyes, protect your head from the sun, etc.
3.  Thinking about occasions where I wear the greys, the only time I'd have the hat on is from my car to the door of the squadron/wing.  And back.  YMMV, but I think that's typical.  Does anyone spend prolonged periods outdoors in the white shirt?
4.  I'll just ditch the white shirt and go to the polo exclusively before I'll wear a hat that looks goofy.
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I'll ask you too:

What if it were optional?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

titanII

Quote from: AirDX on July 18, 2011, 10:24:02 PM
One more (IMHO) unnecessary uniform item to buy and keep track of.
agree
1.  That type of hat looks kind of stupid if you have longer hair sticking out from under it (I don't, but many do).
YES!!! it aggravates me soooo much when I see this, and because G/W doesn't fall under any grooming regs, you are likely to get your fair share of this situation.

2.  That style hat serves no purpose.  Doesn't shade your eyes, protect your head from the sun, etc.
well, it does protect (some of) your head if you have hair as short as mine  :D

I guess I agree that some form of headgear would give a sense of completion to the uniform. And I do cede that it would make G/W's more comparable to blues. If only we could make the hippies get haircuts  >:D

Quote from: CyBorg on July 18, 2011, 10:13:15 PM
Would making such a hypothetical headgear optional be more up your street?
I wouldn't want it to be optional because then we would have less of a "uniform" appearance- some with covers, some without. But to solve the grooming issue: mandatory for those who meet grooming standards, verboten for those that don't. Maybe?
But, it would just be better to K.I.S.S.

I guess I would make it mandatory for all, to keep it simple. It's not like it's in "AF-style uniform", so why should it have to follow Grooming standards.

wuzafuzz

A hat that doesn't shield my eyes isn't worth wearing, IMHO.  If it became required I would wear it, but I hope that doesn't happen.  A REAL hat shades your ears and neck!  I'll take one if these in grey:

Just kidding!

Not having a cap in the G/W uniform doesn't bug me.   As long as I can throw my CAP ball cap on if needed I'm happy.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

titanII

Wuzafuzz, your post reminds me...
what about a grey campaign hat?

They're functional, they used to be standard in the Army (think WWI doughboy), and the style is still used by drill sergeants in the active military.  :D

Not really though... they'd stand out a lot from those in blues, and they're probably kind of maintenance-heavy like berets

teesquared

I'm with wuzafuz.  A grey one like he has shown, or no hat at all. Even a squadron ball cap would be better than an imitation flight cap (We had other nicknames for it in the AF).
Maj Terry Thompson
DP/DA   RMR-CO-147

The CyBorg is destroyed

TitanII...this is for the Civil Air Patrol, not the Royal Canadian Mounted Police! :P

I also thought of a black sidecap, but when you start mixing black and grey, some bad historical associations happen.

WRT expense...I'd hope to keep them around ten bucks a pop.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

coudano

i'm a pretty big fan of "no headgear is prescribed", myself.
then again just about the only time i wear a hat (ever) is when i'm in a military style uniform.

or flying in a glider...

MIKE

I think there should be a return to the blazer nametag...  First it was gray epaulets, nametags and badges, then ribbons.  Now military style headgear?  The death of the CSU was your first clue.
Mike Johnston

titanII

Quote from: CyBorg on July 19, 2011, 01:23:00 AM
TitanII...this is for the Civil Air Patrol, not the Royal Canadian Mounted Police! :P
lol I was (mostly) kidding about the campaign hat. And I don't think that a certain someone would appreciate the comparison to Mounties ;D

;D  ;D ;D