Shield-shaped Velcro?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, June 16, 2011, 10:19:16 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

OK, silly question #999.999.999.

Is it possible to get pre-cut, MAJCOM-shield shaped Velcro "loop," preferably in black?

I am all thumbs when it comes to cutting the material to shape.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

I've never seen it for sale - I just put the patch over the velcro and snip.

The one time we ordered patches from Incirlik, they came with Velcro sewn on and a loop side for the flightsuit,
but it was clear they were hand cut.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

The patches that I've purchased that were intended to have velcro came with both sides, not just the hook side on the back of the patch.  I've never seen the loop side sold separately, though.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

vento

Just a quick suggestion. If you have to snip by hand, first fold the velcro in half and then put half shield over it and snip. It will come out symmetrical and look better with or without the patch applied to it.

My first one was done by hand and sort of asymmetrical, you can tell it was done by hand, but the ones folded in half show much better.

lordmonar

I don't bother with cutting the loop side out into shape.

I just have large squares of it where I need to put patches.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Al Sayre

I put the two sides together and trace around the shape I want with an exacto knife...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Hawk200

Just started sewing them straight on. Still hoping for cloth nameplates. No more losing things.

JC004

Quote from: lordmonar on June 16, 2011, 11:17:33 PM

Very Air Force-y.

manfredvonrichthofen

Very sharp small surgical scissors and patience. I have all of my patches on my BDUs done with Velcro, and it was a PITA getting them right, but I finally did, and am glad I did. Sadly, have never seen them come pre cut, and if they were to, they would be hand cut as well. But, if you take your time, they will look nice, I am glad I have it on my BDUs, it keeps my patches looking new, and they are stronger on the BDUs so they last longer.

PHall

Quote from: JC004 on June 17, 2011, 02:36:41 AM

Very Air Force-y.

Not quite.  The velcro for the MAJCOM patch on the chest will conform to the shape of the patch. The velcro on the shoulders is a 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" square.
Per AFI 36-2903.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Kind of what I figured...I have all sorts of Xacto cutting instruments for my model airplane hobby.

Thanks anyway.  Unfortunately, the CAP MAJCOM shield from Van-whats-their-name didn't come with a matching loop patch.

JC004: Your signature line needs a can of Raid.  I tried squashing the little bug on my monitor... :-[
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

davidsinn

Quote from: CyBorg on June 17, 2011, 05:18:14 AM
JC004: Your signature line needs a can of Raid.  I tried squashing the little bug on my monitor... :-[

Dude that's sick. I frequently have small bugs on my screen too... :P
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Quote from: JC004 on June 17, 2011, 02:36:41 AM

Very Air Force-y.
Well....to tell you the truth....I too my flight suit down to the base alterations shop....told them what needed to be where and she just did it for me......so yes.....exactly the way the USAF does it.  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SoCalMarine

Quote from: lordmonar on June 17, 2011, 05:33:43 AM
Well....to tell you the truth....I too my flight suit down to the base alterations shop....told them what needed to be where and she just did it for me......so yes.....exactly the way the USAF does it.  ;D

Well not to be contrary man, but just because the ladies in Alterations sewed your uniform a certain way does not mean its automatically the correct way! After years of federal and state service I can tell you that while the Asian ladies who appear to be in EVERY Exchange Alterations are very friendly and do good work, they aren't always right. I've experienced "oops" stuff with uniforms tailored/altered  at Buckley AFB, MacDill AFB, and Peal Harbor over the last 17 years!

Just saying man... don't rely on them to know the regs better than you know them.

Persona non grata

I MIGHT have some factory cut velcro in black form a vendor that fits perfect with the CAP MAJCOM.  I can send you some if I find it.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

a2capt

Hmmm... I could laser cut the stuff. I just need the patch outline in DXF...

SarDragon

Quote from: davidsinn on June 17, 2011, 05:30:28 AM

He stole it from UK. Annoying.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on June 17, 2011, 07:11:38 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on June 17, 2011, 05:30:28 AM

He stole it from UK. Annoying.

Only for a very short time.