Blue Van Heusen Aviator Shirt and Accessories

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, March 17, 2011, 09:50:21 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Please...don't let this thread degenerate into frivolity.

I would like to know how many of you would support a move to change the aviator uniform from a white shirt to a blue Van Heusen civilian aviator shirt.

The colour and cut are different to AF issue.

NO CHANGE to the grey epaulettes or nameplate.

NO CHANGE to the grey trousers, except to standardise on something like this.

Remember, General Courter said in her PowerPoint that CAP needed to standardise on a cut/colour of grey trousers.

Also, a police-style, civilian-made pullover sweater, maybe with our soon-to-be-obsolete CAP brushed-silver nameplate?

I'm not even going to suggest headgear or a dress-type jacket.  This is minimum-change stuff, and I really don't see anything the AF would object to.

If so, I think Ned said uniform topics were going to be considered at summer NB...how to get them on the agenda?  Standard up-the-chain, or what?

I'm being serious here - no flights of fancy ("Star Trek" uniforms, etc.).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

No - it will never pass the "low light" test purported to be the issue with our uniforms, now.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on March 17, 2011, 09:52:21 PM
No - it will never pass the "low light" test purported to be the issue with our uniforms, now.

That could be said for nearly any uniform, since that "low-light" bit is extremely ambiguous.

The grey trousers would still be there, and there would be no change to the insignia.

Or is anything blue that isn't the AF-type uniform off-limits, and, if so, why, given that we're good with the BBDU's and blue utility/flight suits?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on March 17, 2011, 10:06:08 PM
I don't disagree, it just is what it is...

How would we know unless we make such a proposal?

Also, there would be no AF uniform items used, which I think was at least part of the aggro with the CSU.

Or, if not a light blue shirt, what about a dark(er) blue one, similar to the BBDU?

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Carrales

No, I will support no movement to increase the number of uniform is CAP to yet another combination.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BradM

Would we use our blue Air Force tie which I already have? I like the blue aviator shirt. I have both the white short sleeve and the long sleeve.

It would be great to have a flight cap the same color as the pants if we get the standardized pants. Same color as the epaulets?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 17, 2011, 10:12:25 PM
No, I will support no movement to increase the number of uniform is CAP to yet another combination.

This wouldn't add anything...it would just change the shirt from white to a shade of blue.

BradM, I'm not even getting into headgear, but I would assume the tie would be the same, unless the AF says no.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BradM

Quote from: CyBorg on March 17, 2011, 10:08:22 PM
Or, if not a light blue shirt, what about a dark(er) blue one, similar to the BBDU?

I like this one too. It would look good with the light gray epaulets, light gray name tag, specialty badges, ribbons, and shiney sliver Pilot and Observer wings.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Major Carrales

Quote from: CyBorg on March 17, 2011, 10:17:03 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on March 17, 2011, 10:12:25 PM

This wouldn't add anything...it would just change the shirt from white to a shade of blue.

BradM, I'm not even getting into headgear, but I would assume the tie would be the same, unless the AF says no.

Why?  For what reason?  So that people who already have a white shirt will have to make an additional purchase?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

BradM

The white shirt gray/slacks combo looks more like a security guard than aviator. (to me at least) I like the lighter blue shirt (pictured above) best for those of us that don't pass the weight or grooming standards.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Shotgun

Quote from: Eclipse on March 17, 2011, 09:52:21 PM

Could someone elucidate the "low light" test in regards to our uniform?

Is this basically the idea of being able to distinguish a CAP uniform from an Air Force uniform in a darkened banquet room?

Major Carrales

Quote from: BradM on March 17, 2011, 11:03:31 PM
The white shirt gray/slacks combo looks more like a security guard than aviator. (to me at least) I like the lighter blue shirt (pictured above) best for those of us that don't pass the weight or grooming standards.

I disagree....I've seen security guards in those blue shirts as well.  Here's an idea...why don't we define our uniform via what we do en re the missions and stop letting the uniform define us?

Simply put, a CAP officer in white/greys is not a "Security Guard."  If we allow our actions to display the merit of CAP then we don't have to worry about mistaken identity, we just do our jobs.

I am thinking of obtaining white greys now...to demonstrate the point.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

BradM

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 17, 2011, 11:12:55 PM

I am thinking of obtaining white greys now...to demonstrate the point.

Thats good :) I have the long and short white aviator shirts because I have a goatee.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

SarDragon

I like it. I would prefer a lighter grey color for the trousers, which matches the grade sleeves, since that's what I already have.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BradM

Quote from: SarDragon on March 18, 2011, 12:35:47 AM
I like it. I would prefer a lighter grey color for the trousers, which matches the grade sleeves, since that's what I already have.

I wear both color grays, the darker one like pictured above is my Docker's pants and then I got light colored gray dress slacks from the Men's Wearhouse as well. I wear them on more dressy nights.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

SarDragon

Quote from: BradM on March 18, 2011, 12:38:51 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 18, 2011, 12:35:47 AM

I wear both color grays, the darker one like pictured above is my Docker's pants and then I got light colored gray dress slacks from the Men's Wearhouse as well. I wear them on more dressy nights.

Oh, I have more than one shade of grey in my closet. I was speaking of standardizing on the color of the grade sleeves. I's dark enough to not show dirt quickly, but still light enough to not be confused with blue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 17, 2011, 10:39:30 PM
Why?  For what reason?  So that people who already have a white shirt will have to make an additional purchase?

No, Major.

There could be a "wear-out" date - like the one imposed on the CSU.  If you already own a white shirt, you wear it until the wear-out date, then instead of buying another white one, you buy a blue one.  If you're new to CAP and don't fit H/W/FF regs, you buy grey uniform pants and the blue shirt.

Sir, if you want to buy a G/W combo, that is entirely up to you.  I do not view those who wear that order of dress to be less vital to CAP.  It is unfortunate that is too often inferred.

I accept that the grey is a fact of life in CAP - if nothing else because of the shoulder mark/nameplate colour.

What I am doing is simply throwing out an option to add a bit of colour to a very drab order of dress.

Anyway, General Courter has said that the shade of grey in the trousers needs to be standardised...once that happens, wouldn't that be an "initial purchase?"
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Carrales

Quote from: CyBorg on March 18, 2011, 03:39:08 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on March 17, 2011, 10:39:30 PM

No, Major.

There could be a "wear-out" date - like the one imposed on the CSU.  If you already own a white shirt, you wear it until the wear-out date, then instead of buying another white one, you buy a blue one.  If you're new to CAP and don't fit H/W/FF regs, you buy grey uniform pants and the blue shirt.

Sir, if you want to buy a G/W combo, that is entirely up to you.  I do not view those who wear that order of dress to be less vital to CAP.  It is unfortunate that is too often inferred.

I accept that the grey is a fact of life in CAP - if nothing else because of the shoulder mark/nameplate colour.

What I am doing is simply throwing out an option to add a bit of colour to a very drab order of dress.

Anyway, General Courter has said that the shade of grey in the trousers needs to be standardised...once that happens, wouldn't that be an "initial purchase?"

My opinion is that instead of trying to get us a new shirt, that the pants and belt be made standard.  A web belt of the style of the USAF one with buckle is what I would get.  One style and shade of pants.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Belts - now we're mixing AF uniform parts with civilian clothes. Before the uni reg defined a specific belt to be worn, folks used to wear the blue web belt with their aviator combination. The AF folks aren't allowed to wear their web belts with civilian clothes, and since our corporate uniforms are classed as such, we can't do it either.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret