Modified CSU - post-mortem?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, March 03, 2010, 06:31:26 PM

Smithsonia

CAPP 151 Section 11: You may not wear uniform items or wear distinctive uniform items with civilian clothing.
[/size]

SO how does CAPP 151 square with use of exterior civilian coats for the White and Grays? Or, are members in their whites and grays left without a sweater, jacket, coat, overcoat solution.

Whenever they redo the basic uniform guide: Clearing up these paradoxes would be helpful.

With regards;
ED OBRIEN

davedove

Yeah, the corporate uniforms are a strange hybrid beast.  They are civilian clothing, but you can wear some of the distinctive CAP items on them.

I would have a harder time arguing for the blue AF jacket to be worn as civilian clothing, simply because the AF seems to keep a tighter control on their uniform items.  However, the Army black jacket is different.  You seem to be able to get Army items at more places (yes, even mil-spec items).  Without the distinctive items, it's just like a number of other jackets and I would have no problem letting someone wear it with the grey/white uniform, which allows civilian outerwear.

I agree that you can't always follow the military practice where CAP is concerned, by why would we need to be more military than the military in this case.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

^ Think about that, though.

Some people believe that the changes to the CSU are being pushed by the Army because we are using their parts, yet its ok to wear their parts with the corporates?

Where does it end?  Service cap?  Wheel cap?  Service jacket without insignia?

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

Eclipse, you are using recent uniform changes and directions as your guide for your reasoning.  You need to pretend that the last 5 years has not happened and go solely on the fact that the CSU does not exist. 

When a military uniform item is worn without anything that makes it distinctly military (the buttons, grade insignia etc.) it is allowed to be worn.  All the Services agree on this issue. 

CAP wrote that guideline because they did not want CAP Members to wear distinctive cap items with civilian clothes.

I will say this is one area where the next regulation needs to be extra specific if CAP and AF truly do not want any military item to be worn by Fat or Fuzzies. 

This goes to show how one sentence can be interpreted in a hundred different ways because the CAP had the Air Force stop writing the regulations for them.  I push for CAP uniform regulations be added to the end of the Air Force Reg.  That would introduce CAP to most Air Force members and give all of us Auxiliary Members" a good guide to go off of. 

Eclipse

See my edit above, but yes, this is not the first time this has come up, and whenever these easy questions arise, they should hit the reg
or an authoritative FAQ in a clear fashion.

"That Others May Zoom"

davedove

Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2010, 04:35:30 PM
See my edit above, but yes, this is not the first time this has come up, and whenever these easy questions arise, they should hit the reg
or an authoritative FAQ in a clear fashion.

I completely, absolutely agree with this.  It's like my request for the reg cite.  Silly me, I expected to find a uniform statement in the uniform manual. ::)

I don't plan on wearing either of the windbreaker style jackets anyway.  I've got the cool black leather jacket to wear with my greys. 8)
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

Spike

^ I have to tell you the Army Officers Jacket does present a nice clean "distinctive" look with the modified CSU. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

This may seem like an end-run around 39-1, and I don't intend it to be.

What about wearing obsolete or foreign-issue military outergarments, without insignia/distinctive buttons?

This stuff shows up on Evilbay quite a bit, sometimes at dirt-cheap prices.

This is, I think, an obsolete AF waist-length jacket and not current issue:

http://tinyurl.com/obsoleteAFjacket

This is a RAF Group Captain's (Colonel) jacket, similar to US issue but more grey.  Take the rank slides off and you've got a nice-looking jacket:

http://tinyurl.com/RAFGPCPT

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

davedove

Yeah, but I'm a fuzzy and thus am not allowed the CSU.

But, that's another gripe.  They're trying to keep the bearded man down, I tell you!!!! >:(
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Ground Team Leader
MER-MD-003

Eclipse

Quote from: Spike on March 04, 2010, 04:51:53 PM
^ I have to tell you the Army Officers Jacket does present a nice clean "distinctive" look with the modified CSU.

Yep, I frequently got complimented on it, and brand new it has a very crisp look.

"That Others May Zoom"